DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

orbit without point of interest?

Ok, after two nights of trial and error and lots of frustration, I think I got a photo that I'm pretty happy with. Still not perfect, but this was the first one that felt like a success after many, many failures. Thank you all for your help!

2019_1018_22091600-01.jpeg

Ok, after two nights of trial and error and lots of frustration, I think I got a photo that I'm pretty happy with. Still not perfect, but this was the first one that felt like a success after many, many failures. Thank you all for your help!

View attachment 83769
Very cool! Interesting that the reflection in the water doesn't mirror the image in the sky. Looks like the uneven water surface of the lake (from wind and small ripples) breaks up the image reflection during the long exposure, so it almost looks like white water ocean foam

Last edited:

View attachment 83769

THAT IS FANTASTIC!!!
Funny how these Aliens do their landing approach! ?

Reactions: tacotim
It could be done with litchi by setting waypoints with curved lines and adjusting the angle of the drone at each wp however I would wonder why?

Well, back to square one, downloaded litchi, but apparently it's not compatible with Android 10 yet, ugh. I'm gonna try the daylight thing with DJIgo4. Kndll, you are refering to litchi right? As far as I know, in DJIgo4 there's no way to establish a POI without actually drawing a box around a distinct thing in the cameras view, As the shot I'm doing is over a lake at night, there is absolutely nothing distinguishing for the camera to grab on to as a POI.
Litchi updated Oct 18, 2019 to v4.15.0g which their 'Whats new' says -added support for android 10. You may have seen this and don't need it any more with your other solution. My Samsung 9S+ does not have android 10 yet so I can't verify. Glad you got Litchi anyway. It is certainly wonderful for flying missions.

It could be done with litchi by setting waypoints with curved lines and adjusting the angle of the drone at each wp however I would wonder why?

See Post #21above to see what he is creating

Well, back to square one, downloaded litchi, but apparently it's not compatible with Android 10 yet, ugh. I'm gonna try the daylight thing with DJIgo4. Kndll, you are refering to litchi right? As far as I know, in DJIgo4 there's no way to establish a POI without actually drawing a box around a distinct thing in the cameras view, As the shot I'm doing is over a lake at night, there is absolutely nothing distinguishing for the camera to grab on to as a POI.
The latest version of Litchi (4.15.0-g) has support for Android 10.
With Litchi you can plan an orbit by tapping the center of the orbit on the map and then save it for later use.
The Mavic 2 has two ways to fly a circle: POI (GPS based) and POI 2.0 (object based) with the DJI GO 4 App. More detailed information on pages 29 & 30 in the manual.

Last edited:
I made this video by hand, didn't use POI or any other function. It did start to drift a little towards the end.
Kind of missing the WOW factor of the image in post #21, which is using the drone as a light painting device at night, with the image photographed during a long exposure by a camera mounted on a tripod on the ground, while the drone flies in a corkscrew pattern.

Very cool! Interesting that the reflection in the water doesn't mirror the image in the sky. Looks like the uneven water surface of the lake (from wind and small ripples) breaks up the image reflection during the long exposure, so it almost looks like white water ocean foam
Yep, you're exactly right, the rest of the water smooths out from the long exposure, but the reflected light from the drone burns in some of the unevenness of the waters surface. It was a pleasant surprise to me.

Almost looks like the wake of a boat too.
nice picture.

I’m going to print that one out.

OK. That photo was cool. But what happened to old-school drone flying skills? We let the computer do everything now? I have a large water fountain that I practice orbit clockwise and counterclockwise, but I haven't done the orbital screw. That's my next challenge.

OK. That photo was cool. But what happened to old-school drone flying skills? We let the computer do everything now? I have a large water fountain that I practice orbit clockwise and counterclockwise, but I haven't done the orbital screw. That's my next challenge.
One could easily recreate the photo in Photoshop, without ever putting a drone in the air, but the challenge of creating it with light painting from a drone is really cool. You could even do sky writing at night, turning the landing lights on and off at each letter, while recording the entire flight as a single long exposure. The latter wouldn't even require any adapters for the landing lights, if you simply flew the drone directly above yourself. Let's bring on the M2 sky writing photos!

I'm all about Manual Flying Skills and I do strive to find ways to improve mine and add new "skills" to my bag of tricks. I dare say I don't know anyone who has the ability to so accurately fly the needed path to get the results desired in Post #21.

Set up autonomous mission using Drone Deploy.

Unless something has changed recently Drone Deploy doesn't have anything allowing someone to do an ascending spiral like in Post #21.

Reactions: Emanáku
i guess it is similar to buying a yamaha grand piano and one with a disklavier. Either play it yourself or let the disklavier do it for you.

I would really love to know how to do an orbital screw with Litchi. I am thinking make a circle and insert a series of way points at increasing heights.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrock