DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orbits or circles around a large structure, is it possible via automated flying?

• Thread starter Deleted member 103366
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 103366

Fly app only.

I have very limited experience of doing a circle or orbit via the automated process and what I have done involved looking down at the subject. The subject therefore remained the same through out the orbit even if it was being seen from a different perspective.
However if I wanted to orbit a ruin at wall height the originsl subject will be lost from view plus the radius would be a LOT bigger, can the mini do this or am I facing a manual flight?

I would ask the same question about the M2P? For the same reason. ( Go4 app only)

Fly app only.

I have very limited experience of doing a circle or orbit via the automated process and what I have done involved looking down at the subject. The subject therefore remained the same through out the orbit even if it was being seen from a different perspective.
However if I wanted to orbit a ruin at wall height the originsl subject will be lost from view plus the radius would be a LOT bigger, can the mini do this or am I facing a manual flight?

I would ask the same question about the M2P? For the same reason. ( Go4 app only)
What type of Radius are we talking here Sir? With active track it has to be able to lock on and after a bit out there it will just lose the object. The mini has no internal flight systems such as the M2P so it's adjustments along flight route tend to get twitchy in close or with speed as it uses your device and it's processor to handle the flight (Virtual Stick), the M2P not so much. :) So your going to get a much smoother shot with the M2P in most cases.

DJI took slack for it's original "Orbit" mode back in the day, but I always liked it. You had to fly to center point then mark, then pull back and set the radius, you then could adjust height and camera angle & speed and from there engage, it would keep going and going till you told it to stop...along the path you could vary height and camera angle. I get some great footage from my P3P with it and will generally use my P3P for most of those type of shots. ;)

Last edited:
There's minimal height requirements too , so getting a low shot of a wall is not going to work .

The radius would be apprecable, 100yds wouldn't surprise me nor would 200yds. Going round a castle or abbey. It was the twitchy nature of the MM orbit that started the thinking on this. It seemed almost polygon rather than circular and I am left wondering if that was due to the varying view, including the background, of the tree top I was orbiting.
From memory the P3 approach is put the drone over the centre, mark it and then move out to the desired radius, which does seem more applicable, maybe all improvements aren't. Maybe just as well I still have one lol.

Hadn't thought about height, good point, though where I would be considering wall shots I would almost certainly have a fair bit of wall height to play with.

Perhaps one of the more complicated intelligent flight modes of the M2P but I have yet to experiment with anything other than the simple orbit and from memory that was an improvement over the mini if for no other reason than it has speed of flight control.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hadn't thought about height, good point, though where I would be considering wall shots I would almost certainly have a fair bit of wall height to play with.

Perhaps one of the more complicated intelligent flight modes of the M2P but I have yet to experiment with anything other than the simple orbit and from memory that was an improvement over the mini if for no other reason than it has speed of flight control.
Minimum height for quick shots is 2 meters (6.6Ft, I'm thinking above head height for most Asian race?), I guess for radius just do a quick pop up for the MM and go through feature set for the Circle mode quickshot and see how far out it will let you set radius on a decent target like your house? No need to engage it.
Do the same with the M2P to see if it is the same...and do us a favor? Report back with findings would be most appreciated.
I don't have any batteries charged at present and it is freezing outside or I would check M2 side :p I am getting 120 ft max for mini from old video (youTube) on Circle (Actually all quickshots)...not sure if that has been updated? It seems that that feature is a timed shot on the Mini, thus out further is flies faster and can't be adjusted. Subsequent videos on MP1 show 200 meters as limit.

I have flown one "orbit" with my M2Z and would say the M2 series is going to do what you want as I was "way" out from target (a house). :) I was checking if you could engage zoom during QuickShot...you can...uploading to youtube now for reference of distance. Orbit from start to 1:45

Last edited:
Reactions: sikspy
Weatherwise I am grounded at the moment and until I get out and about my location would prevent such radius checks so you will probably beat me to that.
I can't use my house as a target as trees would mask it for probably slightly more than 1/2 the circle. Actually I doubt I could even trace out the edge of the roof because on trees lol
My tree top orbit was maybe 30ft out which was what I considered to be the limit for a safe flight.
Sorry, I do not post video.

Weatherwise I am grounded at the moment and until I get out and about my location would prevent such radius checks so you will probably beat me to that.
I can't use my house as a target as trees would mask it for probably slightly more than 1/2 the circle. Actually I doubt I could even trace out the edge of the roof because on trees lol
My tree top orbit was maybe 30ft out which was what I considered to be the limit for a safe flight.
Sorry, I do not post video.
I was just asking for you to do the check on distance on M2P, but I already did (kinda). Didn't need video, just report...I only post from my test channel :p When you get a chance you might want to lock onto a tree vice your actual house, I believe that is what I did on test video..that way I had house in frame...not sure been a while since I shot that. Am still messing around with quick shots....You might want to mess with spotlight mode and fly manual...may do what you want. This guy can't figure it out...kinda funny to watch him figure it out (He never does) :) The Mavic 2 has some killer features that none of the others can match...well we paid for them :p

When the weather clears I can probably see what radius the M2P will allow me to go out to but 100m is my self imposed range limit at home.

Thats an interesting video, thank you, I am up to 9 minutes so far but it's a little difficult for me to follow what your stick commands were as I am deaf and relying on the subtitles.
But from what I am getting so far it almost looks like there is some form of course lock superimposed on the response of the drone, as if it sort of interprets a left stick command as left with respect to the original orientation but possibly more complicated than that.
Were the climbs and descent a consequence of move to the side etc. commands?

Could you perhaps add the stick indicators seen in the replay of the flight via the go4 app flight records thing?

Fly app only.

Check out Drone Harmony. Set the height of the point of interest (building for example), set radius (including elliptical), take-off / landing point. Choose whether to take video, static photos while moving, or static photos with drone momentarily stopped for added stability. Then fly the plan you’ve designed autonomously.

Thats an interesting video, thank you, I am up to 9 minutes so far but it's a little difficult for me to follow what your stick commands were as I am deaf and relying on the subtitles.
But from what I am getting so far it almost looks like there is some form of course lock superimposed on the response of the drone, as if it sort of interprets a left stick command as left with respect to the original orientation but possibly more complicated than that.
Were the climbs and descent a consequence of move to the side etc. commands?

Could you perhaps add the stick indicators seen in the replay of the flight via the go4 app flight records thing?
Not my video, just snagged it off the "Tubes", I brain farted on your hearing impediment. He is manually inducing the height and descent though, trying to figure out the function, and yes it is more or less a course lock type function, with object tracking.

BTW, On the posts about DroneLink it is a virtual stick program and if it loses signal it will return to home, Litchi will continue to fly mission though.

started to have a look at this today only to discover i need to read the manual section ........again lol

Check out Drone Harmony. Set the height of the point of interest (building for example), set radius (including elliptical), take-off / landing point. Choose whether to take video, static photos while moving, or static photos with drone momentarily stopped for added stability. Then fly the plan you’ve designed autonomously.

You can't seriously be suggesting that for a hobbyist? Drone Harmony is $33 per month for the "Starter" level!

Folks, before there is any argument, please note I did say fly and go4 apps only. I appreciate the pointers to alternatives but please do not start arguing about the relative merits etc. of those alternatives.

Fly app only.

You can do it with Litchi.
Take a look at:

Hope will help
Regards
Gabriel

Just found what might be the best way of doing it courtesy of Guide on How to Fly the DJI Mavic 2 Pro and Zoom in Intelligent Flight Modes!

Rather than framing the centre on the device screen use the C1 button to set the centre via GPS, C2 cancels the setting. It complicates flying a bit as I normally use C1 to pitch the gimbal and C2 to switch the landing lights on/off.
I centred overhead then flew out to 75m and started the orbit, it turned the drone to face the centre ( that impressed me even though in hindsight it is an obvious necessity ), I was partway down my garden so didn't have the full 100m to play with, I only let it go a few degrees as trees would have got in the line of sight. Then I got rained off, ho hum.

I went for a walk this afternoon and took the M2P with me. I centred it over head with the C1 thng and then flew out to a radius of 295 or 300m and started a circle.
It's brilliant, I changed height, distance and speed as it progressed. The aim might have drifted a bit but the range was, I feel, extreme and I did make some fairly significant changes.
A castle would have been in shot without the slightest problem.

I didn't test the MM, as I had something else in mind for that and forgot about the circle for it.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tsvetan