DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ordered MA2, now wondering if I made the right decision.

Which would you choose?

• Total voters

~Jb

Reactions
As the title says. I ordered a Mavic Air 2 (will be here this Saturday) and now I am having some second thoughts.

*Quick background: This will be my second drone, I learned to fly with my Spark and have a little over two years of stick time on it. I fly for fun, take pictures and video, but nothing serious. I also use the drone for work (construction general contractor) mostly for documenting the construction process and social media.

When I first felt comfortable to get into an intermediate class drone, I was considering the Mavic Platinum Fly More; however, before I could pull the trigger the M2P and M2Z came out, and again I considered one of those. For one reason or another, I never pulled the trigger. Now that I am ready to get my next drone, of course, the MA2 drops and is the new hype.

I looked at both the M2Z and the MA2, and the specs vs the cost pushed me to ultimately decide on the MA2 Fly More. Since I am sure many here have experience with both the M2Z and MA2, I am really just looking for advice and opinions. Also, I do want to buy now, so not interested in say a Mavic 3 or other future drone along those lines.

*EDIT*

Basically, for me, it breaks down to:
Option A: MA2 Fly More ($988)
Option B: M2Z w/ Fly More ($1,650)

If I stick with the MA2, I am sure I will be more than happy for what I paid. If I go with the M2Z and SC, I will pay double (more), but also get zoom and Smart Controller. So that is why it is still in the running.

I'm truly torn. All advice and opinions welcome. Thank you all in advance.
~Jb

Last edited:
You shouldn't have any worries, I'm loving the MA2 controller (leaps and bounds beyond the original folding controllers) and much less than the Smart Controller. I much prefer the screen to be above the controls. I came from a Mavic Air 1 so no experience with the M2Z or M2P. Given your background I wouldn't worry about your MA2 purchase. Enjoy.

From someone who just upgraded from a Phantom 3 Advanced to a MA2, I would say you made a great choice with the MA2. Unless the zoom is REALLY important, I really cannot see why someone would spend twice the money for the M2Z. The MA2 just does everything right and here in the US even has ADS-B, which has already identified maned aircraft in my area and allowed me to bring up the map to see where the aircraft was coming from and what direction it was heading. It does not give the altitude of the incoming plane, but I run FlightRadar24 in the background that I can switch over to and see exactly what kind of aircraft is in the area and the altitude it is flying at. Compared to the P3A, I have been extremely impressed with my new purchase.

If you watch a lot of the YouTube videos where reviewers compare the MA2 to the M2Z, the conclusion is almost always if you already own the M2Z, keep it, but if you are trying to decide between the two, go with the MA2. I guess it all comes down to if you really feel that not having the zoom feature will be a huge deal down the road.

Let us break it down.. you get a slightly inferior camera with the M2Z (1/2.3" CMOS), but with the ability to zoom. Yeah, I guess the M2Z might be able to power through wind better (NOT SURE, just speculation based on top speed of the aircraft). Also, you getthree additional sensors, but I bet you would never have a use for them. You wouldn't want to fly the $2k drone through the wilderness, would you? On a regular flight, even the rear sensor might not be very useful. Of course, you get the additional IMU, but I just read a post where one IMU failed in the M2Z and the other one didn't kick-in resulting in a flyaway over water (we all know how that would have ended).

In terms of tech, the MA2 is probably 90% (maybe 95%) of the drone that the M2Z is (I currently own the MA2 btw, previously owned the MA1 and MM). I would recommend the MA2 without hesitation to anyone new or old to the hobby! Personally, I think the additional $1k expense with the M2Z is not justified at all. Hell, I would probably buy two MA2s if given $2k! :D

Reactions: Peio64270
The MA2 will probably do what you need, but my personal feeling is that you get so much more with either of the M2 platforms that they are worth the extra money. At least they are for my purposes. Just off the top of my head:

1. Telemetry on the controller (this is a huge deal for me)
2. X and Y Gimbal control
3. Waypoint missions (this is a big one for me)
4. Hardware switch on the controller for Tripod/P/Sport mode

I guess I could live without Item 2, but the others are important to me. I'm fortunate not to be needing to make a choice at the moment :) If I did have to choose however, if I had the money I would prefer one of the M2 platforms. I've had my phone or the app die enough times that I am fairly uncomfortable flying without Telemetry on the controller (every time I take my MA1 up, I am annoyed by having nothing on the controller).

I do a recurring mission which waypoints are a big aid in me staying legal (and also in not giving anyone reason to feel hassled by me). Waypoint missions give me more time "on station" and they are the difference on a couple of my regular routes between accomplishing what I want on a single battery or having to fly twice.

Mike

As the title says. I ordered a Mavic Air 2 (will be here this Saturday) and now I am having some second thoughts.

*Quick background: This will be my second drone, I learned to fly with my Spark and have a little over two years of stick time on it. I fly for fun, take pictures and video, but nothing serious. I also use the drone for work (construction general contractor) mostly for documenting the construction process and social media.

When I first felt comfortable to get into an intermediate class drone, I was considering the Mavic Platinum Fly More; however, before I could pull the trigger the M2P and M2Z came out, and again I considered one of those. For one reason or another, I never pulled the trigger. Now that I am ready to get my next drone, of course, the MA2 drops and is the new hype.

I looked at both the M2Z and the MA2, and the specs vs the cost pushed me to ultimately decide on the MA2 Fly More. Since I am sure many here have experience with both the M2Z and MA2, I am really just looking for advice and opinions. Also, I do want to buy now, so not interested in say a Mavic 3 or other future drone along those lines.

Basically, for me, it breaks down to:
Option A: MA2 Fly More ($988)
Option B: M2Z w/ SC and Fly More ($2,050)

If I stick with the MA2, I am sure I will be more than happy for what I paid. If I go with the M2Z and SC, I will pay double, but also get zoom and Smart Controller. So that is why it is still in the running.

I'm truly torn. All advice and opinions welcome. Thank you all in advance.
~Jb

I have used the SC and subsequently switched back to the regular RC + iphone 11 pro because the video feed is very choppy if the scene changes a bit fast. The video processing power of the controller is just way too low.

Fun wise, MA2 is definitely better than M2Z. newer camera sensor, better image processing, better active track, better obstacle avoidance, ...... to me, basically better everything.

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
SCratch #4 as the new MA2 controller has a 3 position switch between the joysticks for these three functions. The remaining 3 items are still valid for the most part. You can pan the gimbal left and right by dragging two fingers across the screen (so I have heard and I can verify tomorrow). Waypoints in a future firmware/SW release are iffy from DJI, but maybe implemented when DJI releases an SDK and Litichi adds support in the app for MA2.

Reactions: bigswifty
SCratch #4 as the new MA2 controller has a 3 position switch between the joysticks for these three functions. The remaining 3 items are still valid for the most part. You can pan the gimbal left and right by dragging two fingers across the screen (so I have heard and I can verify tomorrow). Waypoints in a future firmware/SW release are iffy from DJI, but maybe implemented when DJI releases an SDK and Litichi adds support in the app for MA2.

Ah that's something at least. Good to know. Thanks.

You couldn't possibly go wrong with the MA2. It's an outstanding machine, irrespective of price.

The SC is to bulky to fit in my Zadii hard case. For me, its screen is too small. Bright, but small.

If you're going to fly construction sites or in other confined areas, get prop guards. Use them when you need them, leave them off when you don't. I'm now on my second M2P. My first one is on the bottom of SF Bay, right next to the bridge abutment I flew into. I now have prop guards and a policy thru State Farm.

Last edited:
Your second drone and you want to drop $2k? You’re mainly a hobbyist with slight work use so if you can justify the money for a M2P than go for it. Nobody can make up your mind better than you.

I have a zoom and a MA2 as well as a SC. IMO for what you listed I’d go with MA2 then look into a third drone once the 3 comes out.

About the SC...I like it but I honestly wish I didn’t buy it. I bought into the hype when it released and while its nice, its not worth the money if I had to do it again especially since the newly released drone isn’t even compatible with it. I can also vouch for the screen lag/jumps like mentioned above.

So, ultimately, this will be a personal preference matter. However, it would be good to compare apples to apples when it comes to price. Comparing MA2 with standard controller to the M2Z w/SC is not a good comparison.

I also own a construction company. I got the M2 Zoom so I could get closer looks at jobs without having to actually fly closer to the area I needed to see. It works great for that. I also do a lot of recreational flying, taking video and photos and appreciate not having to fly close to areas of interest to get the shots I want. This is especially important when I am trying to get shots of wildlife.

I have the SC which I have never found to be anything but excellent for all of my flying. No connection issues ever. And the HDMI out adds versatility.

I got my Part 107 because of the business-related flying I do. It was surprising to learn that even if I was only flying for my own business and wasn't selling photos or anything, that I was considered to be flying commercially and needed the 107. I'm really glad I went for it as it gave me a greater sense of the rules and helped me feel integrated into the National Airspace, like I belong there!

Enjoy your bird, whichever way you go and Fly Safe!

Thank you everyone for your responses.

I do realize the poll and my choice of drones was not exactly apples to apples, simply what I was considering. After reading more and more reviews on the Smart Controller, I think I would skip that as I use a larger iPhone pro while flying anyway.

So realistically the numbers would look like:

Option A: MA2 w/ Fly More ($988)
Option B: MPZ w/Flymore ($1,650)

I do think I would have major regret if I bought the M2Z and a M3 or something along those lines comes out this year. So I am still leaning towards the MA2 and looking at a Pro level drone late this year or early next.

Thank you all again, I appreciate it and updated the poll and am still looking for advice and opinions.

I've had a Mavic 2 Zoom and sold it. I own a Mavic Air 2 now and I just can't recommend the Zoom over the Air 2. The Zoom feature is just a gimmick really. Also, the MA2 will be updated with features over time. I personally like the fly app, more stream lined and easier to use then Go4.

Save your self $700.

I do think I would have major regret if I bought the M2Z and a M3 or something along those lines comes out this year. So I am still leaning towards the MA2 and looking at a Pro level drone late this year or early next.

I'd be incredibly surprised to see an M3 this year, not saying never going to happen, just IMO very unlikely.

Back to your original post, I sold my Mavic Air about 3 weeks before the MA2 was announced, my line of thinking was I would upgrade to a M2Z, well then the Air 2 came out. Looking at the M2Z the zoom feature really did not seem all that great, certainly not worth the additional cost to me (I wanted an M2 Pro, but could not justify the cost). So, I pre-ordered an MA2, then I cancelled from DJI, pre-ordered again from Empire Drone, all the while browsing the classifieds looking at M2 Pro pricing. Ultimately, after watching a couple videos comparing the MA2 to the M2 Pro, I decided to cancel my MA2 order and now own an M2 Pro.

The decision for me came down to what I like to do with the drone, the Mavic Air was an excellent drone, for me I primarily take still images, and while the MA2 has better video functionality, the M2 Pro looks better for still images so that's why I cancelled my MA2 and now have the 2 Pro. Do I think if I had kept the MA2 order and went with that instead I would be unhappy? Absolutely not, again, the Mavic Air was great and the Air 2 would be an upgrade to that. Ultimately, I went with what I think makes most sense for my drone usage (studying for part 107 as well).

I need to call State Farm, asked Progressive who directed me to a 3rd party they deal with who said they don't cover drones. So, hopefully State Farm will cover me here.

The MA2 will probably do what you need, but my personal feeling is that you get so much more with either of the M2 platforms that they are worth the extra money. At least they are for my purposes. Just off the top of my head:

1. Telemetry on the controller (this is a huge deal for me)
2. X and Y Gimbal control
3. Waypoint missions (this is a big one for me)

I guess I could live without Item 2, but the others are important to me. I'm fortunate not to be needing to make a choice at the moment :) If I did have to choose however, if I had the money I would prefer one of the M2 platforms. I've had my phone or the app die enough times that I am fairly uncomfortable flying without Telemetry on the controller (every time I take my MA1 up, I am annoyed by having nothing on the controller).

I do a recurring mission which waypoints are a big aid in me staying legal (and also in not giving anyone reason to feel hassled by me). Waypoint missions give me more time "on station" and they are the difference on a couple of my regular routes between accomplishing what I want on a single battery or having to fly twice.

Mike

I agree with all of these points.
But considering the whole, why not a Mavic 1 (Platinum or not) for about the same price as a MA2 ?

The reviews on the range of the MA2's capabilities pretty much sold me on it. In the end, the only real downsides for me would be fixed f/2.8, the 8-bit codec and the smaller sensor. Low light capabilities will be limited, but I'm okay with that. In the end, it's a consumer drone with consumer video and photography capabilities and I went into ordering one knowing full well what I am getting myself into. Value for dollar, I couldn't beat it for my needs. In the end, I'm not using it for work, it's just a hobby and for fun. I'm not interested in taking it out after sunset or before sunrise and so the sensors capabilities are more than enough for me. I've watched a ton of videos over the last month and I'm happy with the sharpening and color saturation of the drone. I've also seen what others were able to do with grading the footage, so I've got no regrets about that part of it. As for flying it, I won't know until I get it, but so far the overwhelming majority of people love it. Anyway, get whatever suits your needs. If doubling the price is worth the extra features to you, then take that plunge. If it's not, then don't worry about it. Remember, you're also losing out on some features too, so it's not exactly cut and dry here.

Reactions: naiku
Your second drone and you want to drop $2k? You’re mainly a hobbyist with slight work use so if you can justify the money for a M2P than go for it. Nobody can make up your mind better than you.

I have a zoom and a MA2 as well as a SC. IMO for what you listed I’d go with MA2 then look into a third drone once the 3 comes out.

About the SC...I like it but I honestly wish I didn’t buy it. I bought into the hype when it released and while its nice, its not worth the money if I had to do it again especially since the newly released drone isn’t even compatible with it. I can also vouch for the screen lag/jumps like mentioned above.
I was seriously thinking about getting a SC. I have the M2P & MA2. I think I will wait. Thanks for the Info.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78