DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Ordering Mavic Pro today... need help

I am ordering a mavic today and have a couple of questions. I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

First question is does it matter where I order from as far as warranty goes?

Also, the current phone that i have is a galaxy j3, which is full of apps and garbage and I do not believe it's going to be what I need to fly the mavic. So either I want to order a new phone, or a dedicated device. I've been browsing here and reading, and I've noticed people talking about tablets with and without GPS. I would prefer not to use my phone because of the problems associated with calls, texts, notifications etc. But I also do not want to lose the features associated with the GPS and having cellular service. I'm a little confused about how all that works. Oh, and I am not a fan of Apple, and I do not really want to switch out my current phone for an iPhone. So I'd rather stay android based.

Would someone please help me with this? I've read so many conflicting experiences I've confused myself beyond belief LOL.
I use a iPad mini 4 .fits in snug to RC. Larger view for pics ,and I believe more from many posts on here find it more compatible.
In saying all this I am def. Not an apple fan in the Norm.

Reactions: JMF
I am fairly certain that all non-cellular iOS devices have GPS capability. My iPad mini has cellular, but I use it in airplane mode and I still get maps/gps functionality.

Non-Cellular iPad Minis do Not have GPS.

You're kind of jumping all over the place. The Mini 2 w/cellular will have those functions available to it, yes. But if you don't activate the cellular service, you will have to download your maps in advance. This takes a lot of freedom away from you, and doesn't allow you to see satellite maps that can be invaluable. Also, though an iPad Mini can be made to work in the Mavic RC, it clearly wasn't designed for it. Plus you'll need a short, right angle USB to lightning cable (not supplied with the Mavic). A lot of people that go with the ipad mini, prefer the MavMount or other similar products. They affect the portability of your set-up but that's a personal decision.

If it were me in your shoes, I'd just get a better/newer phone.
I have an iPad mini 4 that fits perfectly in landscape in the controller, no need for a mount, unless you find that sun glare requires a mount/shield.

My humble opinion is the iPad Mini 4 Cellular is the best device to use with the Mavic. Excluding the Crystal Sky.
Although, I believe Apple is going to be discontinuing the Mini series in the near future.
You need cellular if you want the GPS. Non Cellular iPad Minis do not have GPS.
I had a friend who bought the Mini 2 just to dedicate to his drone & after the last GO 4 update, it's basically rendered it laggy, unreliable & pretty much useless to him. The processor can't handle it.
The same will eventually happen to pretty much any device.
I still believe Apple products work better with DJI.
I've been on both & will be sticking with Apple.

Reactions: JMF
I am ordering a mavic today and have a couple of questions. I'm new to this, so please bear with me.

First question is does it matter where I order from as far as warranty goes?

Also, the current phone that i have is a galaxy j3, which is full of apps and garbage and I do not believe it's going to be what I need to fly the mavic. So either I want to order a new phone, or a dedicated device. I've been browsing here and reading, and I've noticed people talking about tablets with and without GPS. I would prefer not to use my phone because of the problems associated with calls, texts, notifications etc. But I also do not want to lose the features associated with the GPS and having cellular service. I'm a little confused about how all that works. Oh, and I am not a fan of Apple, and I do not really want to switch out my current phone for an iPhone. So I'd rather stay android based.

Would someone please help me with this? I've read so many conflicting experiences I've confused myself beyond belief LOL.
Why not order the platinum the motors are quieter and it has a longer flight time? The DJI crystalsky 7.85” monitor is coming out in a month or so if I were you I would order that.

Why not order the platinum the motors are quieter and it has a longer flight time? The DJI crystalsky 7.85” monitor is coming out in a month or so if I were you I would order that.
3 minutes more flying time is about all you get with the Platinum for $100. more. You can put the Platinum Low Noise props on the Mavic Pro & they bring the noise down the same way. Noise was never an issue for me anyway.

I am a new droner and have had my Mavic Pro for a couple of months. Presently I am using an iPhone 6S and it is functioning 98 percent of the time. I get monitor loss for second or two and I have it returning quickly.
Because of this I keep my bird in LOS. I have a CrystalSky 7.85" monitor on order and con not get a positive ship date. One of your members just said shipping in a few weeks, and I'v heard this before. Does any know about any firm shipping date?

I got an iPad 4 mini with cellular and 128MB, it's worked perfectly, the only complaint I have is that the display is not very bright like other tablets out there.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DaleUt.