DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Orienting Drone too Take off point?

.....hopefully I can explain this properly but is there anyway to point the drone so that it corresponds exactly to the "H" on the home point. As you can see in the pics, my AC on the table is pointing so that it exactly splits the up rights on the H, however on my phone it is pointing about 10 degrees right. Of course if I were to turn the AC so that on my phone it splits the H then the AC would be pointing 10 degrees to the left.

Reactions: RkyMtnHigh
.....hopefully I can explain this properly but is there anyway to point the drone so that it corresponds exactly to the "H" on the home point. As you can see in the pics, my AC on the table is pointing so that it exactly splits the up rights on the H, however on my phone it is pointing about 10 degrees right. Of course if I were to turn the AC so that on my phone it splits the H then the AC would be pointing 10 degrees to the left.
A few issues with what you are trying to do:
  • You are indoors where you will have poor GPS coverage and most likely (not always) magnetic interference for the compass. That means that both the H home location and the drone orientation could be off on that table where you are testing.
  • Leaving all that aside and if you were testing outside with full GPS coverage and no compass interference, it still would not work. The H for the home point is oriented so that you can read the H right-side up and vertical with the orientation of your phone screen. The icon representing your drone points in the true geographic direction that the actual drone is pointing. The direction of the H on your screen has no bearing on which way the drone is actually pointing.

A few issues with what you are trying to do:
  • You are indoors where you will have poor GPS coverage and most likely (not always) magnetic interference for the compass. That means that both the H home location and the drone orientation could be off on that table where you are testing.
  • Leaving all that aside and if you were testing outside with full GPS coverage and no compass interference, it still would not work. The H for the home point is oriented so that you can read the H right-side up and vertical with the orientation of your phone screen. The icon representing your drone points in the true geographic direction that the actual drone is pointing. The direction of the H on your screen has no bearing on which way the drone is actually pointing.

To be sure, I did do this outside and tried to orient the AC to the H with 16 satellites and as you said that did not work either so I brought it inside where I could get a better picture and post it here. These words you said " The direction of the H on your screen has no bearing on which way the drone is actually pointing." was what I needed to wrap my head around but my initial thought was that if I fly straight out dissecting the H, then I can fly straight back as well but that is not the case......thank you for clearing that up.

WDK

Reactions: PhantomFandom
View attachment 105170View attachment 105169
I'm having similar problems. In the attached 2 pictures I flew the AC out about 40 feet then rotated it so the camera pointed directly toward me. I launched it by hand so my location was home. When I look at the map the AC is correctly facing me however when I look at the compass below what my camera is viewing the AC is pointed about 45 degrees off. It is also not directly in front of me according to the compass. The compass below the AC view can jump up to 180 degrees even when it is not near me. The map view is still accurate.
Flying Mavic Mini using Motorola X4 phone.
App 1.1.5
Firmware 01.00.0500

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200618-105450.png
    Screenshot_20200618-105450.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot_20200618-105522.png
    Screenshot_20200618-105522.png
    628 KB · Views: 21
As a person that has OCD with many things, I must say that this appears to be a case of OCD. Not trying to be mean, just giving you a hard time. :) Thumbswayup ? Happy and safe flying!

Top green icon on right, tap to unlock compass. I tend to aim for me/RC (blue icon near to home point). Always seems accurate, then adjust to land.

Attachments

• 3822187B-BA24-4AC9-A3B2-98CE53767CEB.jpeg
    3822187B-BA24-4AC9-A3B2-98CE53767CEB.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 16
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whathesaid