DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Outdoor 20watt booster

Reactions
im sure there is a thread on here somewhere but has anyone actually made an outdoor antenna with 20 watt or higher booster and an omni?
Also is there any feedback on these options from someone who has actually used them? or if not but used others with good results? Dual band booster feedback?
lastly... i know this is the mavic forum but how much benefit has anyone seen boosting lightbridge?

Attachments

• 80E2AD48-9320-4AF2-9D04-B5B1D9C1BFD6.jpeg
    80E2AD48-9320-4AF2-9D04-B5B1D9C1BFD6.jpeg
    169.1 KB · Views: 48
  • B1734FDA-47A1-4B0D-843E-12CE5E1D0CFE.jpeg
    B1734FDA-47A1-4B0D-843E-12CE5E1D0CFE.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 44
  • 5BD6D1F7-A77C-4223-92D5-0666B271730C.jpeg
    5BD6D1F7-A77C-4223-92D5-0666B271730C.jpeg
    164.8 KB · Views: 43
  • E84CF0C3-F3B0-4024-96B9-AEB5CFB13B47.jpeg
    E84CF0C3-F3B0-4024-96B9-AEB5CFB13B47.jpeg
    145.7 KB · Views: 43
  • BDAA88A2-BF38-490D-8551-211967D276F2.png
    BDAA88A2-BF38-490D-8551-211967D276F2.png
    852.9 KB · Views: 41
im sure there is a thread on here somewhere but has anyone actually made an outdoor antenna with 20 watt or higher booster and an omni?
Also is there any feedback on these options from someone who has actually used them? or if not but used others with good results? Dual band booster feedback?
lastly... i know this is the mavic forum but how much benefit has anyone seen boosting lightbridge?
I’ve got dual 3w Sunhans boosters on both my Mavic Pro and Inspire 1 and it works great. I could hardly use my Inspire until I boosted it.

The 20 watt sounds awesome and I would love to see someone actual use it but the issue is the law of diminishing returns. A 3w amp is 36dbm and a 20 watt amp is only 43dbm. A directional antenna with higher gain would get you the same thing and more. The 20 watt is also so much larger and heavier it would only make sense for some stationary rig and at some point you’ve got all the power you really need anyway.

Depends on which model of LightBridge because for instance the Inspire 1 just uses 2.4 to communicate with the drone and back so only need to boost 2.4. 5.8 is for communication with the slave controller. It doesn’t help as much as with Occusync but it does help a lot.

I use to be all about the Omni antennas until I got a good 4hawks antenna and now there’s no going back.

I havw yet to try the directional antennas simply because ive been scared off by people saying its “very” directional and considering the purpose to boosting the drone is longer range it seems like having an antenna i have to point perfectly at the drone is counterproductive when It gets so far away u cant aim right at it? How precise do u have To be? I had whatever amps came with the switch but swapped them out for 2.5 watt sunhans and those worked much better. Ive been trying various combinations of the different 2.4 ghz sunhans in 2 through 4 along with the dragon looking amps But none have worked as well as rhe combination of 2.5 sunhans with 9 dbi omni. I keep hearing that the 4hawks is the way to go so im going to order one after this post. have u tried the dual band amps yet? I found some in stock earlier on a random site and was thinking of trying them but ive got so many **** amps now my gf looks at me like im nuts when ups shows up each day with another one

I havw yet to try the directional antennas simply because ive been scared off by people saying its “very” directional and considering the purpose to boosting the drone is longer range it seems like having an antenna i have to point perfectly at the drone is counterproductive when It gets so far away u cant aim right at it? How precise do u have To be? I had whatever amps came with the switch but swapped them out for 2.5 watt sunhans and those worked much better. Ive been trying various combinations of the different 2.4 ghz sunhans in 2 through 4 along with the dragon looking amps But none have worked as well as rhe combination of 2.5 sunhans with 9 dbi omni. I keep hearing that the 4hawks is the way to go so im going to order one after this post. have u tried the dual band amps yet? I found some in stock earlier on a random site and was thinking of trying them but ive got so many **** amps now my gf looks at me like im nuts when ups shows up each day with another one
I had the same concern but it was for naught. You really just have to point it in kinda the general direction if that. The further away the drone is the larger the beam and close up I guess there’s enough bounce you can point it 90 degrees to the drone and still have signal. You can tell a difference in range though

I had the same concern but it was for naught. You really just have to point it in kinda the general direction if that. The further away the drone is the larger the beam and close up I guess there’s enough bounce you can point it 90 degrees to the drone and still have signal. You can tell a difference in range though
which 4hawks antenma do you have? I guess i should probably stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just go with what has worked for many others. I didnt have alot of experience with this and so i got stuck on this idea of super boosting everything. i had range issues with my zoom compared to what i expected until i boosted it but surprisingly i was able to land and take off from almost 1000 feet away which got me kind of obsessed with pushing that father out

Maybe you don't need a two-way radio for it to work, as long as you can keep it from initiating RTH. In which case, I'd go with something more powerful I'm thinking 5000 watts. Here's another low power linear. Maltd
I'd like to know how your going to utilize this much power while still maintaining VLOS ? Also, it would be fun to see the safety plan designed to prevent the neighbors from being microwaved to death.

Last edited:
which 4hawks antenma do you have? I guess i should probably stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just go with what has worked for many others. I didnt have alot of experience with this and so i got stuck on this idea of super boosting everything. i had range issues with my zoom compared to what i expected until i boosted it but surprisingly i was able to land and take off from almost 1000 feet away which got me kind of obsessed with pushing that father out
I have the 4Hawks SR antenna. I just think the size is more manageable. I’ve already got so much stuff to lug around the XR would probably break the camels back (the camel is me btw).

I hear good things about the XR too though if you don’t mind the added size

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo