DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 Outlaw Cave Wyoming

Excellent Video, seems like an interesting place to visit someday.

An impressive place.
When you yaw are you rolling the drone at all?
I haven't looked at any video taken whilst my M2 is yawing but from watching the drone from the ground it seems to take a while before the side slip, left by the original course, disappears. It looks as if you have little side slip or that it isn't noticeable.

Last edited by a moderator:
Love the location, and your treatment is very good - that’s some nice flying, filming and editing!

Was there a cave?

…When you yaw are you rolling the drone at all?
I haven't looked at any video taken whilst my M2…
A brief trial of the gimbal FPV mode on my M2 just looked wrong to me. More glitchy than swoopy, I quickly switched it off. I’d like to get back to it to try some different settings (I think there are some for FPV).

I have been successful adding keyframed rolling while editing in Premiere!

An impressive place.
I haven't looked at any video taken whilst my M2 is yawing but from watching the drone from the ground it seems to take a while before the side slip, left by the original course, disappears. It looks as if you have little side slip or that it isn't noticeable.
Thanks everyone.
I try to use equal amounts of yaw and roll for turning. The trick for the Mini 2 I think is to try to anticipate the turn BEFORE you make it. In other words if I want to turn to the left I try to consider how sharp the turn will need to be so that I can begin applying roll and a very small amount of rudder (yaw) before hand to smooth out any jerkiness. Often times the terrain will require an accelerating turn in which case it is usually best to reduce throttle a little as more yaw may be needed and it has to be applied as gently as possible. Sometimes using just roll is all that is needed for very gentle course corrections following less sinuous terrain and even large amounts of roll do not cause jerkiness in the video, great for panning cliff faces sometimes.
Yeah, I did try FPV mode but the results were poor so I no longer use it. FPV is great on the FPV Drone but not so god on the Mini 2.
Regarding the cave I believe it is somewhere below the cliff. There is a trail going to the bottom. The folks camping next to us said the fishing is fantastic in the river and that almost no one ever camps there, except during hunting season. The last 8 miles of road were gravel and we saw no one else on it, so this is a place you do not want to break down in. It was well worth the drive though.....

Great looking place! You nailed the flying!

Very nice place and video, good job.
When you got down in the canyon a couple times, how was your signal? Looks like at some time n the past some of those canyon ridges were wooded, what changed to kill all the trees, do you know?
Again, nice vid, thanks.

Wyoming is known for beautiful Yellowstone N.P. and many other natural wonders. But there are many hidden gems off the beaten path. Here is one of them.....
That video was fantastic. Thanks for the mini-adventure (no pun intended) into some beautiful Wyoming scenery. Well done.

Awesome, thanks for sharing!

I know National Parks do not allow Drones (unless you have a special permit).. Does the BLM require a permit to fly?

An impressive place.
How does one "roll" a mini 2? I was thinking all the 'aileron" control (right stick left and right) did was cause the aircraft to move to that side. I think they call it "translate." Is there some way to get the aircraft to actually roll?

How does one "roll" a mini 2? I was thinking all the 'aileron" control (right stick left and right) did was cause the aircraft to move to that side. I think they call it "translate." Is there some way to get the aircraft to actually roll?
We are talking about the same thing, using aileron to "translate" the drone but doing so whilst also turning / yawing the drone.
Perhaps "bank" would have been a better word but I will stick with "roll" now.
When roll is combined with yaw it can make the drone behave as if the drone were a car being driven round a bend in the road. Without the simultaneous application of roll, yaw slimply rotates the drone and the drone will behave as it were a hovercraft or, to some extent, a car on ice i.e. if the drone had horizontal movement whilst being turned it will slide slip for a while before settling down to the new course.
This cost me a mavic 2 prop, the drone was approaching a wall, I turned the drone but it side slipped enough for the prop to clip the wall.

Try flying a drone slowly away from you and walk behind it, yaw it a bit whilst it is moving (NO ROLL) and watch what happens, this needs a WIDE OPEN space with no flight-level obstacles near the intended flightpath.
Repeat the flight but add a little bit of roll when you yaw and hopefully the drone will 'follow' a better curve.

I know of no way to cause a Mini 2 to loop the loop or barrel roll or flip etc.. Aside from anything else that would possibly cause a motor shut down. Have a look for "snatch and twist emergency shutdown".

From the videos I have seen it looks like the recent DJI FPV drone can roll, loop or flip but I may be mistaken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice place and video, good job.
When you got down in the canyon a couple times, how was your signal? Looks like at some time n the past some of those canyon ridges were wooded, what changed to kill all the trees, do you know?
Again, nice vid, thanks.
The signal was good the whole time, no loss or warnings during any of the flights here. My experience is the Mini 2 has no issues with signal unless an obstruction gets between the drone and the controller, even at great distances. I have had loss of connection a few times, but only when I accidentally got too far over a hill top and lost los, and each time the drone faithfully RTH.
Yeah, it looks like the plateaus had a lot of trees in the past that a large fire must have destroyed many years ago. Still many pockets or islands of trees remain so my guess is it was thinly populated. Beetles may have played a role also.

Regarding roll (bank) and yaw (rudder) these are really an issue when learning to fly a fixed wing plane as the concept is new to pilots. My flight instructor really drove the point home on one occasion and placed a half filled glass of water in the cockpit. The idea was to do sharp banking turns and have the water stay perfectly level in the glass. If equal amounts of roll and yaw are applied the water stays level. It becomes critical during cross wind landings because then the opposite rule applies and it becomes necessary to level the wings immediatley before touch down and skid the plane in! Not as important in drones, but coordinated turns in drones do end up being smoother and less jerky so it is a benefit to quality video.....

Reactions: A.O.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brianklenhart