DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

"Over Water" mode for drones

except that DJI have removed the ability to disable sensors in the app for their newer/smaller/cheaper drones.

I did not know that, thanks for the explanation. Now the discussion makes sense. I would hope DJI changes that option so drone operators can decide for themselves whether or not to use sensors. As I've stated before, I think obstacle avoidance sensors more often than not get in the way of flying over water or in many other circumstances.

That would be a simple remedy (if one really was needed), except that DJI have removed the ability to disable sensors in the app for their newer/smaller/cheaper drones.

I'm still not convinced that's the issue is genuine and I'd like to see some flight data to support the concept of sensors somehow causing over-water crashes.
None has caught my attention yet.

How many times do I and others have to say this ... the sensors don't cause crashes, they just don't do a good job preventing them when flying over water.

Again, just turn off the sensors and fly. Argue all you want about what the sensors do or do not do in given conditions, it all comes down to flying the drone and capturing the shot you want. The sensors too often interfere with this and why it is best to turn them off for most occasions, including over water and flying from ships/boats.

That's a really ignorant piece of advice.

Reactions: Gringorio
That's a really ignorant piece of advice.
It's not really and comes from a lot of experience. If someone is uncertain, or for specific situations then they should turn them on. I should add that I do keep the RTH obstacle avoidance on and the one time so far I needed it it worked.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929