DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overflight of Stonehenge

Greeneyes24

Reactions
Does anyone know what the genuine answer is about flying in the vicinity of Stonehenge? It is a National Trust site, it is not in a restricted area. Their website states it is not permitted unless prior permission is gained and it is flown under a commercial licence with all the necessary risk assessments and fees would be charged. However, I don’t see how this really stands; if I was to fly from a Home Point that wasn’t on their land (public land) and overfly the vicinity of Stonehenge at a time where there was no public around what grounds do they really have to prosecute? It’s not like they own the airspace. So long as I was within the regulations what could they actually do? They only have authority for the actual land they own. I would be interested in people’s thoughts on this and any pointers to where I can see some concrete legislation that counters their claim that you cannot fly there.

Reactions: Kvark and Aceroo2
have you checked the "nat" app to see if its within airport range?

otherwise yes by all accounts while they can control you taking off or landing on their property they do not own the airspace.

the question is assuming not a restricted airport case or such... just because you can.. should you...

probably not the smartest move but if you going to do it do it at 400ft and don't dilly dally.

Certainly don't make a spectacle of yourself.

there is also the other matter to keep in mind, large crowds, this is a high trafficked highly active tourist location and I trust you know your drone code regarding that.

put simple... is the shot worth it? what exactly do you intend to do and what sort of shot are you doing? is this under manual control? and where in relation do you intend to launch from height wise?

Wait until the site is closed to avoid the golden rule of not flying over public spaces and then fly over. Maybe Christmas day is a good choice.....

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Hard to argue with those that make the rules. If you have the money, and spare time to argue and fight take the risk. I think it's pretty universal now that tourist attractions are no-gos for drones.

Reactions: Kvark
Thanks for the replies. I live and work approx a mile from the area so know it well, I also work in aviation so understand that aspect - and of course I would never purposely act outside of the rules or fly recklessly to endanger people. Stonehenge actually sits in on the edge of Salisbury Plain restricted area - a high risk area at certain times but not an area in which flight is prohibited. The nearest CTZ is Boscombe, which is close but in terms of drone flight for this specific subject it is well clear. My conclusion is that NT say you can’t in the hope that people won’t. Probably a good thing because there are many reckless people out there. But I suppose as long as you exercise caution and act within the rules, ensuring to take off from public land at a time where people aren’t around and adhere to the drone code there is little they can do; they do not own the air.

you would appear to have a sensible attitude to this matter, good luck.

it is one of those things, you spend all this time worrying about it...flight takes 10 minutes.. no one even notices or cares. lol

Lots of poltics going on at stonehenge at the moment and feelings running high, what with the proposed road/tunnels, closing of the drove, public access to the stones and especially the lack of it by the National trust, for something that was gifted to the national.

You can actually get closer to the stones using public land and for free, than you can if you pay and go in with a national trust ticket.

Or if you have a Mavic ;)

Anyway that wasn't ment to put you off, as you seem very sensible, but just to make you aware, as because of the above there is quite a security presence there, especially from early evening to early morning, which are likely the times you would be flying.
But as others have said, as long as you dont take off from land owned by the National trust there is nothing they can do, although the security will likely make a fuss and probably call the police, so just fly in from a decent distance away.

I do have a detailed map somewhere if i can find it, showing who owns what land directly around the stones, the National trust dont actually own that much, although there security there will try and tell you otherwise :rolleyes:

Lots of poltics going on at stonehenge at the moment and feelings running high, what with the proposed road/tunnels, closing of the drove, public access to the stones and especially the lack of it by the National trust, for something that was gifted to the national.

You can actually get closer to the stones using public land and for free, than you can if you pay and go in with a national trust ticket.

Or if you have a Mavic ;)

Anyway that wasn't ment to put you off, as you seem very sensible, but just to make you aware, as because of the above there is quite a security presence there, especially from early evening to early morning, which are likely the times you would be flying.
But as others have said, as long as you dont take off from land owned by the National trust there is nothing they can do, although the security will likely make a fuss and probably call the police, so just fly in from a decent distance away.

I do have a detailed map somewhere if i can find it, showing who owns what land directly around the stones, the National trust dont actually own that much, although there security there will try and tell you otherwise :rolleyes:

I would definitely like to see that map. Thanks very much.

The most likely reason for any landowner to band drones is insurance. If they allowed uncontrolled flight over their properties and there was an accident with the public then they would be sued. If they did not give permission for that flight and they were officially banned then its most likely that they would not be liable. I must admit having built and flown models for many years if I was a landowner I would like to meet and ensure competence and insurance before letting anyone loose with their drone.

The most likely reason for any landowner to band drones is insurance. If they allowed uncontrolled flight over their properties and there was an accident with the public then they would be sued. If they did not give permission for that flight and they were officially banned then its most likely that they would not be liable. I must admit having built and flown models for many years if I was a landowner I would like to meet and ensure competence and insurance before letting anyone loose with their drone.

I think you'll find in this case the NT have no authority to ban flights over their land, what they can do is ban you taking off from their land.
If you fly over it after taking off from say the farmers field next door with his permission then their is nothing they can do, unless you were flying in an unsafe manor, in which case they could ask the police or caa to take action.

That's my take on it, plus im not saying anyone should or if you do then at least use common sense and try not to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, as it just brings more restrictions and dont post it on utube

I think you'll find in this case the NT have no authority to ban flights over their land, what they can do is ban you taking off from their land.
If you fly over it after taking off from say the farmers field next door with his permission then their is nothing they can do, unless you were flying in an unsafe manor, in which case they could ask the police or caa to take action.

That's my take on it, plus im not saying anyone should or if you do then at least use common sense and try not to draw unnecessary attention to yourself, as it just brings more restrictions and dont post it on utube
I totally agree but at least they have legally covered themselves if something goes wrong.

Reactions: Dw911
Does anyone happen to know when / where you can fly on SPTA (the MOD land on Salisbury Plain). It comes up green on the map on the App, but i am not sure what that really means yet. I mean the areas that are OUTSIDE the red flagged areas (which you can never go in if the flags are up - except Christmas and August shutdown).
It is one of my more local areas to fly if one can. m a newbie of just two weeks ownership.

Does anyone happen to know when / where you can fly on SPTA (the MOD land on Salisbury Plain). It comes up green on the map on the App, but i am not sure what that really means yet. I mean the areas that are OUTSIDE the red flagged areas (which you can never go in if the flags are up - except Christmas and August shutdown).
It is one of my more local areas to fly if one can. m a newbie of just two weeks ownership.

Salisbury Plain Military Byelaws appear to say it's forbidden as
the SPTA airspace is heavily used by military aircraft and UAVs blah blah blah

And no unauthorised use of the airspace is allowed under any circumstances.

That said, depending where your thinking of flying, it might be worth a polite call to range control at West down camp, as they run the airspace over SPTA, they might be able to help as know of at least one person who has had permission - with certain restrictions - to fly after speaking to someone their, although that might of been a one off, maybe they were just short of MOD target drones for the live fire range that day and he happened to call just at the right time :D;)

Hi Chrissyb, flying over MOD land could lead you into serious trouble, on top of that the land is used for all sorts of stuff that causes radio interference and they even practice GPS blocking on a lot of the MOD sites in the west country, I can remember some years ago while training in in Devon an RC plane operator got caught and had the book thrown at him and that didn't have a camera on it. I think if enough people get caught doing this I think it could end up a blanket ban.

The southern edge of the larkhill danger area actually bisects the stones. I'd be wary.

The BMFA are trying to attempt to limit the restrictions proposed by the authorities on model flying of all types and allow the hobby to continue in a sensible way breaking the rules as they are now will only give ammunition to the ones trying to stop what we even have now, one person who behaves in a irresponsible way will mess it up for the many who may be still trying to get on with there hobby long after the maverick's have got on to something else, sorry to be a bit down on your idea but that is just as I see it

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom