DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Overwhelmed.

This is only half true. As we all know, DJI drones are draining the battery of the phone or tablet attached on android devices, which is not the case on ios.
Not if you connect a power pack via an OSB cable.

I just got a Mavic Mini. I have a phone and a tablet that work for me...but neither compatible with the DJI Fly app. I've tried to read the threads on recommendations but it's all become a jumble. I plan to get a phone or tablet but no phone service to use just with the Mini. I wish to stay with Android, and under $200. Amazon has a "Samsung Galaxy S7 G930V 32GB" that looks OK, except it says "Verizon". I'd appreciate any comments. Thanks -- Arby

"
An unlocked Nokia 2.2 works and seems to be in your price range.

Maybe this myth will die one day.
The DJI app runs just as well on Apple or Android.
I don't know...that hasn't been my experience. I haven't had DJI flight controller app crash on any DJI product I've owned going back to the P2Vision when using Apple iOS products, but my Smart Controller running Android crashes at least once a flight...works fine on my iPhone. Litchi is more stable than DJI Go on that Smart Controller. Likewise, I spent about an hour trying last night to calibrate the sensors on my Mavic 2 on my PC running Windows 10. The sensors would calibrate but the program crashed, multiple times, when it got to the upload stage. It finally took my good old iMac to get the job done.

I don't know...that hasn't been my experience. I haven't had DJI flight controller app crash on any DJI product I've owned going back to the P2Vision when using Apple iOS products, but my Smart Controller running Android crashes at least once a flight.
All you are saying is that you have been using an Android device that doesn't run the app perfectly.
You could also try running on an underperforming older Apple device and have unsatisfactory experience.for three years
There are plenty of Android devices that run the app at least as well as the best Apple devices.
I've had no problems on Android since I upgraded my tablet three years ago.
Perfect performance without a glitch for >900 flights.

All you are saying is that you have been using an Android device that doesn't run the app perfectly.
You could also try running on an underperforming older Apple device and have unsatisfactory experience.for three years
There are plenty of Android devices that run the app at least as well as the best Apple devices.
I've had no problems on Android since I upgraded my tablet three years ago.
Perfect performance without a glitch for >900 flights.
I'm not saying that it's impossible that Android will run DJI apps as reliably as iOS...just sayin' it's less likely.

IMHO

I'm not saying that it's impossible that Android will run DJI apps as reliably as iOS...just sayin' it's less likely.
But it's not at all.
Run the app on a device with a fast enough processor and enough RAM and the operating system makes no difference.
Run it on a substandard device and you will be disappointed.

That's the myth that needs to die.
The app works perfectly in suitable Apple and Android devices.
There's no compatibility issue either way.

That's a very minor difference but it's not a real problem.
I fly with both operating systems. Both work fine on Go and Go4. My only complaint is living in an area with hot summers (above 95f). The IOS device is absolutely quicker to over heat and shut down.

Reactions: Meta4
ZA2B0009US

Here is the Amazon link. I'd
recommend uninstalling all the nonsense. Just because of the conservative RAM. I bought this tablet specifically for drone flying so I got rid of all the other crap.

Lenovo Tab 4, 8" Android Tablet, Quad-Core Processor, 1.4GHz, 16GB Storage, Slate Black, ZA2B0009US https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07193VPNF/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_LezbEbGG6A9RT
OK, a straight-forward recommendation. So I ordered it from this link, and it just came Sunday delivery (also a 128GB MicroSD card). It's on charge, and is downloading updates, but at the moment, the DJI Fly download says's my device isn't compatible. I'd appreciate any thoughts on things to try. I am (or at least once was) tech savvy, but new to Android and the whole smart phone ecosystem and would appreciate specific recommendations and/or links to explanatory stuff.

OK, a straight-forward recommendation. So I ordered it from this link, and it just came Sunday delivery (also a 128GB MicroSD card). It's on charge, and is downloading updates, but at the moment, the DJI Fly download says's my device isn't compatible. I'd appreciate any thoughts on things to try. I am (or at least once was) tech savvy, but new to Android and the whole smart phone ecosystem and would appreciate specific recommendations and/or links to explanatory stuff.

I assume it's upgraded the android OS to version 7.0

If the app store says you can't install the latest version of the DJI Fly it, that's pretty much it.
Unless you try side loading an earlier version, which is not an ideal scenario as DJI fixes the bugs in the app and adds more features in the latest versions while your tied to a particular version.

Hopefully Afoww can come up with some guidance on what is the most compatible version of DJI Fly for the Lenovo

Last edited:
I assume it's upgraded the android OS to version 7.0

If the app store says you can't install the latest version of the DJI Fly it, that's pretty much it.
Unless you try side loading an earlier version, which is not an ideal scenario as DJI fixes the bugs in the app and adds more features in the latest versions while your tied to a particular version.

Hopefully Afoww can come up with some guidance on what is the most compatible version of DJI Fly for the Lenovo
OK, good progress! I went to the DJI download site with a browser and downloaded DJI Fly and then with a little fiddling got it to install. I've got a lot of learning, but was able to update firmware in the drone and was able to see video from it. It's dark and rainy, and I'm on the edge of a no-fly area, but it looks to me like I'm on the road to flying. It's good to know you guys are here if (when) I need help.

The new tablet doesn't seem to fit the remote but otherwise seems to be working fine.

Thanks to all for the help. --Arby

Google Play is probably looking for 4GB installed RAM. If it sees less, it won't present Fly. But it still may work with less RAM after a manual app install, assuming there's enough available RAM.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123