DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

P107 & firmware version

Sparc343

Reactions
I am pretty sure I know the answer but I want to ask the "pros" around here before I try digging!

So I was watching a YouTube video where the "content creator" alleges that "because he is P107 licensed he MUST stay up to date on firmware"... Personally I think he's wrong but what say you!? Is there some "thing" that "forces" or imposes part 107 licensed pilots keep their aircrafts firmware up to date?

Reactions: rickmurray1989
I am pretty sure I know the answer but I want to ask the "pros" around here before I try digging!

So I was watching a YouTube video where the "content creator" alleges that "because he is P107 licensed he MUST stay up to date on firmware"... Personally I think he's wrong but what say you!? Is there some "thing" that "forces" or imposes part 107 licensed pilots keep their aircrafts firmware up to date?
That is NOT an FAA requirement.
@Vic Moss and @BigAl07 can shed light on this for you

FAA Part 107 rules do not specifically require drone firmware to be updated, but they do require that all drones flown under Part 107 be in a condition for safe operation. This means that if an update is necessary to maintain the safe operation of the drone, it would be the responsibility of the operator to ensure that the update is performed.

That is NOT an FAA requirement.
@Vic Moss and @BigAl07 can shed light on this for you

I didn't think so! I had started studying for my 107 sometime last year but had to stop for a few reasons. Didn't recall seeing anything about that, and it also doesn't even make sense (especially if you're like me and live remote where you do not have "internet")! I can go MONTHS without thinking about and checking for stuff like software (or firmware) updates! Someone in my scenario could probably be several "updates" behind before even thinking about it! I literally have to drive 60 minutes just to get to "signal"!

Reactions: GFields

The "YouTube creator" is wrong.

The RPIC is required to keep the drone in safe operating condition. There is no legal requirement to keep firmware up to date, but you should.

However, if it's a major update, it's best to wait a few days. That way if there is an issue, you haven't unwittingly put your drone at risk.

But unless there are reports of issues with the update, it's best to go ahead and then update your drone.

If there is an incident, and it was caused by something that was fixed in an update, you could get in trouble.

But it's very unlikely something would happen.

The YouTuber is confused. The EU requires controller and drone to stay updated.

Well then I'm super glad I don't live in the EU! That's stupid as heck (as I've already described)...

Reactions: rickmurray1989
@Sparc343 ,the comment in your post #8 above was unnecessary just because you dont like it does not make it stupid,different areas of the world have different rules

Reactions: Greasy
@Sparc343 ,the comment in your post #8 above was unnecessary just because you dont like it does not make it stupid,different areas of the world have different rules

I am going to have to disagree - I stand by my opinion that it is stupid... I am not trying to be rude or anything but this is how I feel.

What if someone lives in a very rural place and they don't really "go online" that often? How can they be *legally* expected to stay up to date. Maybe then the regulators should be paying for "my" internet then! Also, this is why my opinion is not limited to one geographical location either. To me, it would be "stupid" no matter WHERE it was "happening", because of the very reasons previously described!

If anything it's people like me that are often not even thought about. How many people out there can even acknowledge that there are people that (still) do NOT have internet, at all, at home! Everyone that DOES have internet, takes it for granted! I know when I was last living in a big city, I would not have been able to fathom someone NOT having interwebs at home! But now it's a reality for me because I am starting an off-grid home-stead, way out in "the middle of nowhere"! I literally have to drive ~60 minutes to get to a signal! Now, can you imagine HAVING to drive 120 minutes before you fly, JUST to make sure you're "up to date" (eff no)!

So yes, to say "I have to stay up to date" is basically also saying "I have to have internet at home". So if "they" were regulating me into keeping up to date, they, by extension, would be regulating me to have internet too then! So, this is why it makes it "stupid" to me!

As Vic Moss and others have responded, firmware updates are not mandated by FAA regulations.
However:
Manned aircraft pilots bear and share the responsibility that their aircraft is airworthy each and every time they fly, this would include the aircraft having a current inspection, an airworthiness certificate and registration on board, all applicable air worthiness directives complied with /some cases to include manufacture’s service bulletins.
Our Drones are aircraft operating in the National Air Space and we as Drone pilots have the same responsibilities. If there is an investigated incident/accident that reveals a drone did not have updated firmware involving airworthiness, it could implicate the drone operator as a probable cause.
B52-D
〰️Blue Skys & Happy Contrails ➿
1674400163239.png

Last edited:
@Sparc343 you are perfectly entitled to disagree with my post ,but you have made the decision to live off grid ,which is your right ,and DJI have made their decision to provide updates by internet ,which is their right ,if you wish to fly the majority of drones on the market, at the very least ,you are going to have to have an internet connection to get them set up, before you can fly them thats just the way it is

Good discussion each and all. I’m with those who feel one’s drone (aircraft) should be up to date with the latest firmware to, presumably, ensure it is as safe as possible. The point about not having access to the internet being a valid reason for flying an aircraft without the latest safety add one is a no-brainier for me (hate that phrase)-we should be flying with all the latest aids provided by the manufacturer to ensure we fly safely.

I keep my drones and controllers up to date, however, I wait for a while after each firmware update to make certain that there are no issues with new code. I do the same thing with my computer and other device updates, with the exception of critical security updates, which I apply immediately.

I keep my drones and controllers up to date, however, I wait for a while after each firmware update to make certain that there are no issues with new code. I do the same thing with my computer and other device updates, with the exception of critical security updates, which I apply immediately.

Well this is, at least in part, also within my line of reasoning for NOT necessarily staying the most "up to date"... Updates, while they CAN "fix" things, can also BREAK things. So whether you're "off grid" and don't update so frequently from lack of connectivity, or you're just purposely waiting to make sure it's "safe", you're doing so at the expense of someone else! Also, having an I.T. background, I know for a fact that not every update has "something to do with 'safety'"! MOST of the time, you'll notice an update is to change or add a certain functionality. One such example would be "follow me". I know the Autel EVO NANO+ actually shipped withOUT that feature, though it is/was supposed to be a feature! How will that be added? Of course, an UPDATE (whether just their "fly" app, and/or "firmware"). So, lets say you do NOT get said update (which may or may not contain other aspects within the update), does NOT necessarily mean you're "not flying safe"; you're merely missing out on "feature changes"!

So, yeah, even if I did have readily available connectivity (which one day I will via Starlink), I STILL would NOT update "right away"! I'm not "your" "beta tester"; and I am NOT going to be the one that crashes his drone or has a flyaway or whatever, because something in the update actually BROKE something instead of fixing it! Basically ~ "if it ain't broke, DON'T fix it" should hold true.

Now on the other hand, if I knew an update was SPECIFICALLY to straighten out a safety issue (or more than one), then yes, it would be negligent to NOT get it! But, if it's what they (updates) normally are (the SMALL "tweaks" I just described) then there is NO reason to "HAVE" to get it! IMHO

Anywho, I was able to re-locate the "culprit" video, if anyone wanted to see it:

Main problem(s) I see with this video are (now that I watched it again): This guy mentioning "keeping firmware up to date to remain 107 compliant", while he continues to fly FPV without a V/O <facepalm>

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MacPilot55