DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

p4p 4k footage vs m2p

Fireblade

Reactions
For those that have a p4p (or had), do you find the footage to be "clearer" on the p4p? I"ve watched a couple of comparison vids and the m2 on YT and the mavic just seems to be softer overall.

I was expecting it to blow the EVO away but if anything, i actually preferred the evo on this comparison (daytime shots):

Men, I was really hoping it would be on par with the 2 year old p4p, but it's looking like the p4p still has the edge on video quality IMO.

Reactions: alex_markov
hi, yes you're correct 100 percento !!
I watched these YouTube vids yesterday and could not believe how poor that camera was compared to the evo & the p4 pro.
in fact the Mav' only performs better in low light, I would even go as far to say that my 2 mavic pro's with a little bit of tweaking could quite easily equal that camera on the new Mav. anyhow I won't be buying one I've decided to get the p4 obsidion as it's only 1200 pounds now much better value for money in my opinion. always better to wait and check reviews before just going out and buying one like so many have, so glad I waited it's a lot of money after all.

Reactions: hoggdoc
The P4 has higher sharpening by default which largely explains it, otherwise cameras have similar performance but different colours.
Look at the roof tiles on first video showing artefacts at least in the youtube version.
The Mavic looks better with +1 sharpen when recording IMO, but they have deliberately left it softer by default for more cinematic result which can be sharpened in post.

Reactions: miemo and Skyscope
Look at the roof tiles on first video showing artefacts at least in the youtube version.

Could be a result of the high aperture settings here, where diffraction starts to kick in.

I tried to match colors and sharpness in Billy's first scene, I think there is no right or wrong between the two drones, at least in 8-Bit. But I rather throw sharpness on clips in post, than loose details because of too much in camera sharpening.

Reactions: pilux314 and 4wd
And these are 8 Bit standard profiles, of course M2P has 10 Bit in DLog and therefore much more room for correcting colors and contrast / luminance. So in the end it all depends if the fine line skipping, which is sometimes but not always visible in some 10 Bit clips, is acceptable for you or not. For me it is, the advantages of 10 bit are more important to me. And I'm sure, DJI will fix line skipping in future updates....

They need to eliminate line skipping, this is so bad for a product of this price....

A lot of these videos the users aren't sharpening in post then complaining its "soft".
DLOG produces an unsharp image (by contract, the "None" profile, even set to 0 applies some sharpening).

As of yet, very few people are doing tests comparing like for like with things like that.

A lot of these videos the users aren't sharpening in post then complaining its "soft".
DLOG produces an unsharp image (by contract, the "None" profile, even set to 0 applies some sharpening).

As of yet, very few people are doing tests comparing like for like with things like that.

At 4k, without sharpening and with a good lens, the image should be already fairly sharp.

Reactions: hoggdoc
That depends. If theres an AA filter in it shouldnt be overly sharp. "Fairly" is subjective as well.
Most people producing testing videos have things horrendously oversharpened.

Reactions: Trees138
Even with AA filter it should be sharp. Only if you pixel peep will you notice, but if it's being downsampled from 5.7k to 4k it should be even more sharp. We are not noticing this. It's apparent on my monitor that the 4k output at FOV on this M2P is poor. HQ quality is better than FOV though

Ive not seen anything on full that post sharpening on the LOG doesnt fix for me. I havent tried HQ yet to compare but thats on my todo list for test flights today (Now up to 40 bullet points).

Downsampling/line skipping isn't great but it its fixable if its not too bad.

Reactions: Skyscope
The problem once again , as it goes with these mavics, is the auto focus / tap to focus bs Dji uses. Set the focus to manual and hit the infinity focus and watch the magic.... then write your review. Night and day difference

Thats only if infinity focus is spot on. Which is unlikely with lens/sensor variations just like it wasn't consistent for every mavic.
And just like the infinity mark also isn't always spot on with DSLR lenses costing thousands of dollars.

M2 is much nicer now - half press to focus, full press to take like a normal camera. I like it.

The infinity focus is more than spot on.... tried it myself.... I use this for video as well

And like video I posted, you have to hit the infinity button to set it, not my what you think is infinity

The infinity focus is more than spot on.... tried it myself.... I use this for video as well

And like video I posted, you have to hit the infinity button to set it, not my what you think is infinity

Yes and what the infinity button THINKS is infinity is NOT actually infinity across all cameras, sensors, models or anything else.
Manufacturing tolerances more than make this drift.

Yes and what the infinity button THINKS is infinity is NOT actually infinity across all cameras, sensors, models or anything else.
Manufacturing tolerances more than make this drift.

The little infinity symbol. Watch the video I posted 2 above

Yes, the little infinity symbol. Which isnt necessarily infinity therefore isnt guaranteed to be accurate.
We live in the real world where we dont have 100% construction and absolutely no error in manufacturing tolerances. Something you dont seem to grasp.
Yes, a theoretical infinity would be fine usually but getting a physical focus on that is a different thing entirely. You can go and pay $5000 for a proper camera lens and you'll still find the infinity mark isnt spot on.

Reactions: miemo and Trees138
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22