Join Us Now

Packing drone away

How do you pack up your drone?

• Props on

Votes: 109 75.7%
  • Props off

Votes: 35 24.3%

• Total voters
Ok so here is a bit of a twist. I find if I pack my Mavic P2z in the case upside down it travels a bit better. I have problems with the gimbal guard popping off unless I put it in upside down. Never remove the props on any of my drones

Ok so here is a bit of a twist. I find if I pack my Mavic P2z in the case upside down it travels a bit better. I have problems with the gimbal guard popping off unless I put it in upside down. Never remove the props on any of my drones
This is a new one for me. What kind of case?

It's just a generic aftermarket case you can buy on eBay. I should have mentioned I also modified the gimbal guard so only the large shell part is intact. Makes it 100% easier to manage

I like to avoid the prop's getting bent or put under pressure while my Mavic is in its travel case - so I take the prop-sets off before I pack it away, and put them in a small bag that goes into a slot in the travel case (where I also have a spare prop-set stowed). I figure that the prop's won't get cracked or distorted, and I'll inspect them as they go on and come off the Mavic ... In addition, I also think that the compression springs on the prop-shafts are then spending much of their life in a 'relaxed' state - where if they were always under pressure, they might loose some of their compression tension. I don't agree that putting the prop's on and off will weaken the fixings, as the twist-&-push nature of the connection puts pretty much zero strain on the prop's ...

travelBag.jpg

I first saw that case setup in another thread. [emoji106]
I’m looking into something like that, only I have to include space for the Smart Controller [emoji6]

Duh, upon closer inspection, I see you have BOTH controllers in there! Excellent!

It's just a generic aftermarket case you can buy on eBay. I should have mentioned I also modified the gimbal guard so only the large shell part is intact. Makes it 100% easier to manage
I’m sure it does, but all support for the gimbal is now gone for you. I’d worry above gimbal getting forceful extreme rapid movements in many situations... overheads in airplanes, bumps in the road when in your car, jerking around with footsteps when walking, etc.
I hate the M2P gimbal guard also, for several reasons starting with difficult for me to use. One of the reasons I went with the PolarPro. Only time will tell for sure, but it did stop all immediate problems and is easier to use.

To R above. I wouldn't wrap the whole craft in bubble wrap or anything that contacts the prop blades as that can result in deforming the props and hence not making them as efficient.

I leave them on, but pack the drone in a spinnaker sleeve before putting it in the fly more bag. This way, the props are not caught when putting the drone in the bag and not when I take it out. Also keeps sand and dirt away from the drone.

I use these since I had two lying around from back in the days I was still paragliding, but any smooth sleeve would do I guess.
I have prop guards. They hold the props securely and the drone fits snugly in the Pelican foam rubber case very well.

I take mine off when packing in the flymore case. I get concerned about warping the blades over time.
M2 may be shipped with front props on, but the box it comes in doesn't put any pressure on them.

Reactions: drakkor
I know everyone is different just curious if you pack your drone away with ot without props on
As I always said in other post on here, Props off for the sake of your motor and also to keep a better eye on those props as well. If they fail, that's the only line you have between your drone flying or crashing. :p

I take off the lower props. When folded they apply sideways pressure to the motor axle
The motor prop-shaft is strong enough to take it - but if there is pressure on the shaft, you have to ask yourself what pressure is being applied to the prop's to transfer through to the shaft? - And what 'damage' may that be doing??

On my Mavic Pro and Air, I always pack away with the props attached. All connectors and clips have a maximum number of insertions and removals designed in and you only risk damaging the props or tops of the motor taking them off and re-fitting. If it is fitted correctly, why should it need checking between flights? Has the prop fairy/imp been and visited during the night?

How many people remove the wheels from their car or check the wheel nuts before you drive off? Full size aircraft or helicopters don't remove the props.

Of course if your bag is not big enough and stress might be placed on the props or motor, then this could be good reason to remove them. My P4 won't fit in the bag with the props on, so have to take them off.

On my Mavic Pro and Air, I always pack away with the props attached. All connectors and clips have a maximum number of insertions and removals designed in and you only risk damaging the props or tops of the motor taking them off and re-fitting. If it is fitted correctly, why should it need checking between flights? Has the prop fairy/imp been and visited during the night?

How many people remove the wheels from their car or check the wheel nuts before you drive off? Full size aircraft or helicopters don't remove the props....
Well, I check them because of a broken motor tab which I found loose inside the motor housing... don’t think it was the prop fairy or imp. BTW, everything wears out... better than an avoidable crash, etc. Yeah, critical components do wear out.

All full size aircraft have maintenance checklists and don’t have plastic tabs holding on rotors/props whose integrity can be verified externally. Automobile tires and wheels have nothing to do with this thread.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliesunique