DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Painting drones?

If painting your drone brings you enjoyment, go for it. Not wanting to paint it is also fine. I'm way past the age of 12 and no longer live with my mother, but I have no particular desire to paint my Mavic. Not sure why anyone would want to mock other people because they don't share their same tastes.
sorry friend didnt mean to ofend anybody at the or over the age of twelve, i wish ilived with my mom, shes great! after reading your bit i was overwelmed with joy its freedom you and i as americans have freedoms, freedom to reply, freedom to ignore, freedom to be part of Mavic Pilots and freedom to say sorry if i ofended you,fly low..but dont hit anything.

sorry friend didnt mean to ofend anybody at the or over the age of twelve, i wish ilived with my mom, shes great! after reading your bit i was overwelmed with joy its freedom you and i as americans have freedoms, freedom to reply, freedom to ignore, freedom to be part of Mavic Pilots and freedom to say sorry if i ofended you,fly low..but dont hit anything.
ok, i apologized about ofending any body, "im just a big dumy sometimes", and again im sorry. ok?.... now on a different note you cant this caliber of awsomness without painting, cut and dry!IMG_20230416_121308.jpgIMG_20230416_121302.jpgIMG_20230416_121241.jpgIMG_20230416_121125.jpgIMG_20230416_121100.jpgIMG_20230416_121043.jpg

I recommend Tamiya brand paint, it is made for painting RC cars, doesn't affect plastics. Just finished painting my Avata white. It is now the Tic Tac.
I've painted several drones over the years, the Avata is the first in about 5 years though. Phantom 1 was red, Phantom 2 was flourescent yellow, added green stripes later. But my favorite was my Blade 350QX - I airbrushed it to look like a tree frog. It was a thing of beauty. I need to dig up some photos. Nice spotted frog back, and a white and yellow frog's belly. If you are familiar with the Blade 3350 QX, they always looked like a tree frog in mid jump to me, with the way the arms were arrayed.
I've supported myself with my artwork (not on drones) through gallery sales and commissions off and on throughout my life, so painting a drone was something I had to do...lol.

I used regular spray paint on my Phantom 1 on the first attempt, and it softened the plastic and I had to buy a new body and move the electronics over. So make sure the paint is compatible with plastics!

Old thread but I was thinking about Cerakoting one of my drones to see how it comes out. You have to separate the shell from the guts because you do need to bake them in an oven.

Reactions: Torque
The DJI drones are put together with lots of solder joints to tiny points on the flight controller for the motors and a few other components and relatively few connectors. They don't just snap apart and back together. If you haven't already, you might want to find a YouTube or other tute that shows exactly where the screws and little latches are so you'll know where to push with a spudger.

I've thought about painting one of mine, but after I popped one open to repair a camera, which is easy, I decided to go with wraps instead when I saw how much soldering it would take to take the arms off and get it back together.

I'm looking for high visibility, not style, and Solid Color neon wraps from Decal Girls do a neat job quick, but leave seams visible. WrapGrade, in Japan, makes wraps with overlapping edges, with twice as many little pieces, that almost look 'painted on', requires an hour of 'meditation' to do a neat job.

The painted drones in this thread look better than wraps, are way beyond my skills with paint or solder. Good luck with it...

Reactions: Torque
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Odnicokev