DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Panoramic Photo Order

Vitamin-J

Reactions
Hi All,

I'm curious if anyone happens to know the order in which the M2P captures photos for both 180 & 360 degree panoramic photos? I'd like to adjust the center point of some of my 360 degree pano photo's in lightroom but need some reference point for what order the photos are taken to do so.

If this input hasn't been collected from anyone yet, I'm happy to send my drone up, and report back on my findings. I just didn't want to reinvent the wheel if already done. :)

Thanks for your insights!

Edit - I thought a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the order for a 180 degree 21 photo panorama:

Panorama_Numbered-X5.jpg

Edit2 - For the 360 panorama it appears to start the same but keeps zig zagging its way round the entire frame until it finishes just right of the starting point

Edit3 - This is really messy as I've stretched a 360 image to a flat wide 2D image but should give a rough idea how the drone takes the shots. It mostly takes three rows but at the start position and part of the way round it takes an additional lower photo.

Panorama_360numbered-X5.jpg

For the 180 degree panorama the drone takes three rows of seven photos for a total of 21 photos. The first photo is the one in the centre (fourth column, second row), it moves the gimbal up for the second photo and then to the bottom for the third photo. It then moves to the left (column 3, bottom row) and starts zig zagging to the left so it goes up (column three, middle row), up (column three top row), left (column two, top row), down (column two, middle row), down (column two, bottom row), left (column one, bottom row), up (column one, middle row), up (column one, top row).

It then jumps to the right of the centre column at the top row and again zig zags its way again so it goes down, down, right, up, up, right, down, town.

The full sequence in order is:

1 - Middle row, fourth column
2 - Top row, fourth column
3 - Bottom row, fourth column
4 - Bottom row, third column
5 - Middle row, third column
6 - Top row, third column
7 - Top row, second column
8 - Middle row, second column
9 - Bottom row, second column
10 - Bottom row, first column
11 - Middle row, first column
12 - top row, first column
13 - Top row, fifth column
14 - Middle row, fifth column
15 - Bottom row, fifth column
16 - Bottom row, sixth column
17 - Middle row, sixth column
18 - Top row, sixth column
19 - Top row, seventh column
20 - Middle row, seventh column
21 - Bottom row, seventh column

Last edited:
Edit - I thought a picture is worth a thousand words, here's the order for a 180 degree 21 photo panorama:

Panorama_Numbered-X5.jpg

Edit2 - For the 360 panorama it appears to start the same but keeps zig zagging its way round the entire frame until it finishes just right of the starting point

Edit3 - This is really messy as I've stretched a 360 image to a flat wide 2D image but should give a rough idea how the drone takes the shots. It mostly takes three rows but at the start position and part of the way round it takes an additional lower photo.

Panorama_360numbered-X5.jpg

For the 180 degree panorama the drone takes three rows of seven photos for a total of 21 photos. The first photo is the one in the centre (fourth column, second row), it moves the gimbal up for the second photo and then to the bottom for the third photo. It then moves to the left (column 3, bottom row) and starts zig zagging to the left so it goes up (column three, middle row), up (column three top row), left (column two, top row), down (column two, middle row), down (column two, bottom row), left (column one, bottom row), up (column one, middle row), up (column one, top row).

It then jumps to the right of the centre column at the top row and again zig zags its way again so it goes down, down, right, up, up, right, down, town.

The full sequence in order is:

1 - Middle row, fourth column
2 - Top row, fourth column
3 - Bottom row, fourth column
4 - Bottom row, third column
5 - Middle row, third column
6 - Top row, third column
7 - Top row, second column
8 - Middle row, second column
9 - Bottom row, second column
10 - Bottom row, first column
11 - Middle row, first column
12 - top row, first column
13 - Top row, fifth column
14 - Middle row, fifth column
15 - Bottom row, fifth column
16 - Bottom row, sixth column
17 - Middle row, sixth column
18 - Top row, sixth column
19 - Top row, seventh column
20 - Middle row, seventh column
21 - Bottom row, seventh column

John(?), thank you very much for taking the time to share this in-depth detail! I really appreciate it!

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I try to put my panorama through ICE, but no luck until now.
I'll trying to correct the order of the photo, but seems the ICE have his own way and there is no clue how to change this.
Need help.

Is ICE stitching the pics in any random order? I've used ICE in the past even in manual mode and have never had any issues.

Can you even use the ICE Structured (manual) mode with Mavic panos? ICE seems to have only the zig-zag or serpentine modes.

On Auto mode, ICE will not do well with panels that don't have enough detail (like panels that are all sky or all water). At that point, you may need to move to a paid stitcher, like PTGui and use control points.

ICE will also have trouble with images that aren't exposed well. If that's the case, you might try post-processing the images first to adjust exposure and add contrast, which could help the tool align the images.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78