DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Paranoia

MAGA

Reactions
I am not alone when I feel uneasy about launching a sortie in an area where flying a drone is not only uncommon, unusual but goes against what some would consider sacrilege? I am taking about flying my drone at a popular not populated waterfall in upstate NY. It does not have to be a waterfall it could be stonehenge any area where people come to relax , unwind release meditate. Or just to enjoy the sound of water crashing over rocks. Most of the time strangers will be inquisitive and I educate them , its a positive experience but today I had a few people stare and shake their heads, I was worried about a confrontation or some complaints but nothing was said and I completed the mission and left. Anyone else get paranoid about flying in situations like this? Best things to say ? Don't say anything? What says you?

Last edited:
Depending where I'm at, most people are more curious about the DJI operating system and how sophisticated it is. I find more people are less bothered by my Mavic (in the rural areas) than by my racing quad in a park. However we have a local park that allows competition quad racing. That's nice. But I have never flown in an populated area. Not my cup of tea.

Depending where I'm at, most people are more curious about the DJI operating system and how sophisticated it is. I find more people are less bothered by my Mavic (in the rural areas) than by my racing quad in a park. However we have a local park that allows competition quad racing. That's nice. But I have never flown in an populated area. Not my cup of tea.
[/QU my mavic air sounds like a giant fly even with master screw props

You can go with the Mavic Pro Platinum Low Noise Props. You can also launch and gain altitude to 100 feet quickly. The Mavic is just a very low hum at that altitude.

When I fly I am not there to please others. As long as I am flying legally and safely then people objecting are not not concern. Lots are just jealous. My ratio is 1:10 . There is always one in 10 people that have an objection of some sort that is completely unfounded. They approach and say " You know you arent supposed to fly here" I reply what law or statute are you quoting as I would like to look it up on my phone real quick"
I am met with dumbfounded looks and no real factual data to backup thier claims.

Practice your response and make it known that you are legal and responsible.

I am not alone when I feel uneasy about launching a sortie in an area where flying a drone is not only uncommon, unusual but goes against what some would consider sacrilege? I am taking about flying my drone at a popular not populated waterfall in upstate NY. It does not have to be a waterfall it could be stonehenge any area where people come to relax , unwind release meditate. Or just to enjoy the sound of water crashing over rocks. Most of the time strangers will be inquisitive and I educate them , its a positive experience but today I had a few people stare and shake their heads, I was worried about a confrontation or some complaints but nothing was said and I completed the mission and left. Anyone else get paranoid about flying in situations like this? Best things to say ? Don't say anything? What says you?

One of the things I do to help with that situation is take off from a remote spot and walk your drone as you fly to the designated area . This keeps the Drone annoyance to a minium as you are already up in the sky, its that take off that can really be off putting to many.

The second thing I learned to do quickly is not to hover but to have a flight plan and follow it , this also helps ease people along.

This is really where having that Mavic 2 Zoom pays off as you can keep a little more distance and still get some great footage.

The other tip I might add is that most people have no clue that your drone can only fly for about 25 minutes so letting them know that its not an all day event can ease some stress.

If all else fails , I will sometimes include them by asking if they can keep on eye on the drone while i focus on the camera because Im running late , and people ultimately are prone to want to help. This forum is a great example of that.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
Coal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minicopters