DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pardon My Rant

About two years ago I purchased the Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2. Since then I upgraded my smart phone to the latest with 12.0 Android. I have a small business rendered almost useless trying to use the DJI go Fly and Drone Deploy. Nothing works with the latest apk's nor do I have an option to use the expensive Smart Controller. After a major investment in this product I am a part 107 limited to a hobbyist with the restrictions DJI and Android users are facing. I have tried about 6 solutions but if someone has an answer to the S21 FE 5G android please help me get my handcuffs off
"Nothing works" is pretty broad. It's impossible to answer such a broad question intelligently. I see others taking a stab at it. It will be interesting to see if one of them solve your problem.

D

Reactions: MS Coast
OR juist use Litchi which you can fly more precisely with VR, although I have no problems with DJI's Go or fly app.
Im using a Samsung S10 plus which is thin and fits well in VR goggles which are Samsung oculus .
There are various things you can do with Android which you cant with IOS. I normally use an iPhone 12 Pro Max for day to day but its too fat fro VR goggles
I go with that. I use my old Motorola smartphone that doesn't run the DJI FlyApp at all, but Litchi works like a charm!

About two years ago I purchased the Mavic 2 Pro and Mini 2. Since then I upgraded my smart phone to the latest with 12.0 Android. I have a small business rendered almost useless trying to use the DJI go Fly and Drone Deploy. Nothing works with the latest apk's nor do I have an option to use the expensive Smart Controller. After a major investment in this product I am a part 107 limited to a hobbyist with the restrictions DJI and Android users are facing. I have tried about 6 solutions but if someone has an answer to the S21 FE 5G android please help me get my handcuffs off
went away from using phones to control my drones and now have the RC and RCPro remotes for mine. Makes a world of difference.

DJI does cater more to Apple when it comes to this. However higher end Androids have all worked for me.

I have older iPhones and a Google Pixel 7 pro, Samsung S23, Pixel 1-6. All work like a champs.

In short for a side gig I test phones, computers and tablets out!

I could also sell you my iPad Pro 11 inch M1 Chip. You'd just need to get something to hold it. There are controllers that will hold them.

PM me if you wanna make a deal!

Last edited:
Well why not get a cheap second hand phone etc. that is to be used solely as a screen device for your drones? My PHONE is too old to run the FLY app, my solution a second hand Samsung S6 ( 1/10th the cost of my PHONE ) and "away we go".
Agreed. When I moved into DJI, I needed a 64 bit processor, which my S21+ did not have. I picked up a remanufactured S10. Thjat is now used for all of my drones: DJI, Autel, FIMI.

Reactions: FlySkyJumper
If you are a professional, invest in professional tools. But the Smart Controller for your photography & videography needs. If there is a 3rd party app that is not compatible, bet an iPad mini and use the stock controller for your other jobs. Problem solved and no missed days.
My business is being run on a shoestring budget and so far has not been able to afford me the 10k equipment the corporate Drone businesses have. I used some money from my little Brothers passing to kick my Business off in his honor and frankly l'm a little offended. The request to use Drone Deploy came from the Customer, not me. So pardon me for trying make a Customer Happy with the tools I have. The more expensive Smart Controller I did purchase isn't so smart if it's restricted by a mere software package. I did find the work around myself on my smart phone so kudos to me for not settling or spending money I don't have in the Business, yet.

Reactions: Torque
went away from using phones to control my drones and now have the RC and RCPro remotes for mine. Makes a world of difference.

DJI does cater more to Apple when it comes to this. However higher end Androids have all worked for me.

I have older iPhones and a Google Pixel 7 pro, Samsung S23, Pixel 1-6. All work like a champs.

In short for a side gig I test phones, computers and tablets out!

I could also sell you my iPad Pro 11 inch M1 Chip. You'd just need to get something to hold it. There are controllers that will hold them.

PM me if you wanna make a deal!
Consider me interested but I don't have unlimited funds. The last Ipad I purchased couldn't even handle current software downloads so I gave to my Grandson for a toy.

My business is being run on a shoestring budget and so far has not been able to afford me the 10k equipment the corporate Drone businesses have. I used some money from my little Brothers passing to kick my Business off in his honor and frankly l'm a little offended. The request to use Drone Deploy came from the Customer, not me. So pardon me for trying make a Customer Happy with the tools I have. The more expensive Smart Controller I did purchase isn't so smart if it's restricted by a mere software package. I did find the work around myself on my smart phone so kudos to me for not settling or spending money I don't have in the Business, yet.
Sorry for your loss. I truly am. Many in here have lost family and others they love.

You could just tell the client no. Hopefully you'll get more clients.

I'm glad you found a work around, but ranting like you are...doesn't make it better not is the proper place to do it.

You may want seek some counseling to get some of that anger and hurt out.

Best of luck in your business!

Got tired of having to replace my phone every 4-6 months because they would stop working. As for this issue. Do as waynorth suggested or dump the droid and get either an iPhone or a cheap iPad mini. You'll be much happier in the long run.

Last edited:
Update: After many attempts to work with my Samsung 21 and any APK's associated with it I finally deserted it and went with the PPE instead. I still haven't flown much with it but it seems to be more practical than the go4 app that us not footing the bill for my phone. The suggestion to switch to an IPad is still not been ruled out but I abhore the idea of putting more cost into my business due to running in the Red for an entire year so far. It may change but I amvtrying to be frugal.
Bob

Reactions: Torque
I dumped android phones 15 years ago and never looked back. Got tired of having to replace my phone every 4-6 months because they would stop working.
Your Android phones stopped working after 4-6 months again and again?

That was only you, seriously. Never heard of such a bad track record. Something definitely was messed up with your setup in particular.

In contrast, I've been using Android phones and tablets for 10 years to run GO4 and Fly, and rarely had any problems, the few I have have mainly been with GO4.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead