DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 commercial license

danny_2020

Reactions
Hello droners...

I am very much interested in getting a part 107 commercial license, so I can post vids and pics up on Facebook etc, but I am a bit confused with it all. So what I have gathered is that you must register your drone (which I have done) and apply for a part 107 commercial license which costs around $150, and you need to get it renewed every two years which also costs $150. I also think that you can show people your photos, as long as you are not making a profit from it. I have read that there can be a serious fine, and possible jail time. I am also confused that you can take a photo on the ground and sell it, but you don't need a license for that... If you do not need to renew the license, or renewing it doesn't cost money, then I will most likely apply for it, but if its $150 out of the bank every two years, then I don't think I'll bother.

Anything I have gotten wrong, or thoughts, please reply.

Stay safe, happy flying:)

You don't need a 107 to just put imagery on social media. There is a video out by AlienDrones that has very bad information on it. In his defense, it was bad information given to him by an FAA guy who didn't have permission to speak publicly.

Also, the 107 is initially $165 ($179 now I believe), but you no longer pay for the recurrent training. As of last month, that is now free and online.

If all you're doing is flying recreationally, you don't need the certificate. If you are flying with the expressed intent of adding them to your YouTube account to gain followers and endorse products, or if you are sponsored, you do need your 107.

And worse case scenario if you're "caught", you get an educational phone call from people like me. So don't let the massive fine possibility scare you. There is currently a very large fine being threatened against a guy in Philly (I won't give him publicity, but his name is easy to find), but that was only imposed because he continued to ignore the FAA's attempts to get in touch with him. And he still does. He will learn a lesson, one way or another.

You do need to pay $150 to take the initial 107 test (but put in some serious studying first, or you'll be wasting your money). But the recurrent test after two years has been discarded. Instead, for your two-year renewal, you need to take an on-line FAA course, which might take a couple hours but is free.
The serious fine and/or jail time would, I think, only come for things you do while flying--such as trying to fly over the SuperBowl, military bases, etc. Avoid that by learning the regulations before you fly.

Your location was shown as Australia. Would't you follow your country's rules for commercial licensing rather than Part 107? If you are in the states, then there are many free and inexpensive training resources such as the Gleim Remote Pilot Study Guide. It costs $19 and walks you through the test. There is also an Apple app called Prepware from ASA which has the questions and explains the answers.

I am very much interested in getting a part 107 commercial license, so I can post vids and pics up on Facebook etc, but I am a bit confused with it all.
1st. You would have to travel to the USA to get Part 107 because it's a US thing and does not apply in Australia.

2nd. Just as mentioned in post #2 for the US, in Australia there is no requirement to have commercial licensing to put your pictures online.

3rd. In Australia you don't even need commercial licensing to fly sub 2kg drones commercially.

Thank you all for your replies, I now have all of the right information because of your information. Thank you all :)

Stay safe, and happy flying :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett