DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

part 107 exam

Congratulations on acing it ! Now that you passed you have entered the learning stage as you gain more and more experience.

And welcome to the forums - great place to get tips and answers to your questions. Also the search function if an excellent place to search for the many questions a new pilot will have.

Last edited:
Congrats! I know the feeling of accomplishment in passing. Now comes the task of applying all that you learned, keeping it fresh in your memory.

The first info to get lost for me was METARs. I have to keep refreshing my understanding of the Sectionals as well. Use it of lose it, as they say!

Reactions: snapdog
Happy to say I passed it with 98%
studied like a devil for a week and it was a lot easier than I would ever imagine.
Self study using google and the FAA.
finished in 35 minuets out of the allotted 2 hrs.
Have a go at it.
Congrats! Where did you go for the test?

Congratulations, fly safely and clear skys!
Happy to say I passed it with 98%
studied like a devil for a week and it was a lot easier than I would ever imagine.
Self study using google and the FAA.
finished in 35 minuets out of the allotted 2 hrs.
Have a go at it.

A lot of great scores - congrats! Could you tell me what you paid to take the exam? I was using the new system( https://faa.psiexams.com/FAA/ ) to schedule online and some are pricing the exam at $96 and a $64 convenience fee. One of the sites close to me is only asking for the $96 fee? Thanks for any suggestions or help!

OK so how hard is this test? I read one sample question somewhere that seemed beyond my "right brain" realm. I seem do be a reasonably competent pilot, but don't have good retention of arcane rules & formulas. I understand & respect safely rules & procedures. But I do NOT have engineering chops. Am I correct in guessing the test has a long list of rules/regs that would rarely apply to recreational pilots mostly flying in remote areas?

I wouldn't even be interested, but as a commercial photo industry pro, I may at some point get offers for aerials. I believe the 107 cert is required for any commercial work? Or am I wrong on that too? I certainly wouldn't want to take the time for this cert if it was unnecessary. Thanks.

OK so how hard is this test? I read one sample question somewhere that seemed beyond my "right brain" realm. I seem do be a reasonably competent pilot, but don't have good retention of arcane rules & formulas. I understand & respect safely rules & procedures. But I do NOT have engineering chops. Am I correct in guessing the test has a long list of rules/regs that would rarely apply to recreational pilots mostly flying in remote areas?

I wouldn't even be interested, but as a commercial photo industry pro, I may at some point get offers for aerials. I believe the 107 cert is required for any commercial work? Or am I wrong on that too? I certainly wouldn't want to take the time for this cert if it was unnecessary. Thanks.

107 is required for commercial work in the US. The test is not hard . . . if you study and take the time to actually learn the material. Rules and regulations is only a portion of the test.

The initial and recurrent test (required every 24 months) are a little different, I just took my recurrent and felt it was a little tougher. Like the OP, I got all the necessary study material free from the FAA.

Test Areas.jpg

Reactions: Classic flyer
107 is required for commercial work in the US. The test is not hard . . . if you study and take the time to actually learn the material. Rules and regulations is only a portion of the test.

The initial and recurrent test (required every 24 months) are a little different, I just took my recurrent and felt it was a little tougher. Like the OP, I got all the necessary study material free from the FAA.

View attachment 96735
Good information, thanx for passing it on...be smart fly safe

Reactions: Ty Pilot
Congrats

So your recommendation would not be to take one of these online classes and just study material from the FAA?

So your recommendation would not be to take one of these online classes and just study material from the FAA?
I will say that the FAA study guide may be the best cost effective means to prepare for test. Keep in mind that the
passing standard is 60%correct answers with 3 multiple point answers and 1 of 3 are obviously totally incorrect.
that being said 60% pass which is almost 50 50 chance and two possible answers which is 50 50 picking right answer.the reality as I understand is that all registered owners both recreational and commercial will have to take a similar test as the pt 107 soon as the FAA id ready I am interested in speaking with a person who has taken and passed or failed the test. that will be helpful. That is all, Carry on.
Disclaimer, my comments are only my opinion and I am not trying to be a know it all. just exercising 1st Amendment….

I will say that the FAA study guide may be the best cost effective means to prepare for test. Keep in mind that the
passing standard is 60%correct answers with 3 multiple point answers and 1 of 3 are obviously totally incorrect.
that being said 60% pass which is almost 50 50 chance and two possible answers which is 50 50 picking right answer.the reality as I understand is that all registered owners both recreational and commercial will have to take a similar test as the pt 107 soon as the FAA id ready I am interested in speaking with a person who has taken and passed or failed the test. that will be helpful. That is all, Carry on.
Disclaimer, my comments are only my opinion and I am not trying to be a know it all. just exercising 1st Amendment….
Wow that last part was really covering your 6oclock... lol...be smart fly safe

A passing score on both the initial and recurrent test is 70% and there are two incorrect answers in each set of multiple choice answers and they're not always obvious. Just sayin. ;)

Well I went ahead and signed up for the Pilot Institute program as I do want to learn and have the information in an easy to use format conducive to learning. I will write a full review when I am done and after I get my 107. I appreciate all the feedback.

I'm still studying so that I can try to be ready to take the test sometime in April as soon as the test centers reopen, I am having a tough time with Airspace & Charts, all of those symbols and identifying airspace,

Reactions: Ron (MM)
good luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54