DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

part 107 license advantages?

Pressing a few buttons in AirMap is definitely easier than trying to get someone on the phone (and figuring out who that correct person is), explaining what I'm doing, and hoping they don't object. And of course for Class E & G airports, I don't even have to pull up AirMap, I just fly (just not too close to the airport). This may not be a big benefit to some people but around here there are dozens of heliports and airports that pretty much eliminate your ability to fly anywhere close without a 107 certification.
Actually, they can’t really object, as you are simply notifying them, not asking permission (for a recreational flight).

In the case of Class E airspace, if it extends to the surface , you still need to call for a recreational flight, or get authorization for a 107 flight as I understand it.

I found the following very helpful, especially the video from UAV Ground School shown here: Misinformation and Understanding Class E Airspace | UAV Expert News
As sar104 mentioned, the recreational laws will change as soon as the FAA promulgates new rules to substitute for the repealed rules on model aircraft.

Actually, they can’t really object, as you are simply notifying them, not asking permission (for a recreational flight).

In the case of Class E airspace, if it extends to the surface , you still need to call for a recreational flight, or get authorization for a 107 flight as I understand it.

I found the following very helpful, especially the video from UAV Ground School shown here: Misinformation and Understanding Class E Airspace | UAV Expert News
As sar104 mentioned, the recreational laws will change as soon as the FAA promulgates new rules to substitute for the repealed rules on model aircraft.

Just to clarify - it's only surface Class E designated for an airport (Class E2) that requires authorization for Part 107 flight.

My understanding is they can object, but can’t prohibit you from flying even if they do. But I sure wouldn’t want to be flying in the vicinity of an airport where I was told they didn’t want me flying.

My understanding is they can object, but can’t prohibit you from flying even if they do. But I sure wouldn’t want to be flying in the vicinity of an airport where I was told they didn’t want me flying.

This is the guidance that ATC is working under:

08/01/2017​
JO 7200.23A​
CHAPTER 3. PART 101, SUBPART E OPERATIONS​
1. ATC services. ATC services, inclusive of separation, are not provided to Part 101, Subpart E​
operators (also known as modelers/hobbyists).​

2. Notification. Part 101 operators are required to notify the airport and ATCT, if one is operational when operating within 5 statute miles of the airport.​

a. When notified of Part 101 operations that pose no hazard:​

(1) Acknowledge the notification.​
(2) Do not use the word “approved” in the communication with the operator.​

b. If the facility determines that the operation would endanger the safety of the national airspace​
system:​

(1) Deny the operation.​
(2) State the reason for denial.​
REFERENCE-​
Part 101, Subpart E; FAA Reauthorization and Modernization Act 2012.​

As a hobbiest I got my Part 107 certificate for a few reasons:

1 To educated myself--there were so many folks saying this and that and yes and no etc so I learned the regs myself--and although I am still learning I can weed out the BS and fly responsibly with no worries!
2 I live 4.9 miles from an airport (Class E w/700' AGL) and the supervisor (CT) said I had to submit a flight plan; notify him each time; and would not let me have a standing flight plan for my 12 acre pasture to fly in every now and then--So I just got my Part 107 and now I don't have to deal with any notifications or his BS for flying around in my pasture
3 In case of any 'grandfathering' clauses later on down the road; seems the rules are tightening and was thinking maybe if FAA tighten the rules for newcomers perhaps they'd grandfather in the ones who already had their Part 107 certificates--I don't know--just a thought for me

Fly safe!

Last edited:
Slight correction - if you are Part 107 certified then you can fly recreationally under either 336 or Part 107 rules.

I want to clarify this as I am thinking of taking the Part 107 certification. When not flying commercially, I am under "recreational" rules, for instance I can fly 5 or 6 hours after drinking a beer, vs 8 hours under Part 107?

I want to clarify this as I am thinking of taking the Part 107 certification. When not flying commercially, I am under "recreational" rules, for instance I can fly 5 or 6 hours after drinking a beer, vs 8 hours under Part 107?

Technically you are flying under whichever rules you choose to fly under so, presumably, that's correct.

So there are no more restrictions if I want to just fly for fun being 107 certified as compared to if I weren't? According to the first response above from Brett8883 it sounded like 107 certified pilots were more heavily regulated if flying as a hobbyist.

Hi -

Congrats and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

I would just add that one of the main reasons I got my Part 107 was to be a better drone operator (yes, it makes one aware of the rules/regulations and what airspace is and what it really means) as well as the POTENTIAL to make a buck or two or volunteer once I move. Even if you have your 107 you can still fly for fun (hobby) anytime and it doesn't restrict you in any way - in fact it makes your flying have more opportunities.

I got a cool vest but haven't worn it yet!! Sounds like you have great handle on things and sometimes sad to see the different directions a thread can take but stay strong!!

I am transitioning in a move from Seattle to your part of the Country and would be happy to tag along and find some amazing red rock mountains and sunrises to exploit!!!

My only advice would be go on the official FAA website and register your new addition (and make external labels you can attach to him/her), charge that beast, update the firm/software, learn all you can and take a few hours to just hang out in an open field and learn the basic stick maneuvers.

:D

A great place to start......

FAADroneZone

Reactions: Megalodrone

FWIW - flying as a hobbyist, the pilot should follow the safety guidelines of a recognized community based organization like the AMA. here is one of those rules:
  • I will not operate any model aircraft while I am under the influence of alcohol or any
    drug that could adversely affect my ability to safely control the model.
Time will tell if the FAA implements more stringent rules once they revamp the old 336.

Reactions: brett8883
Congratulations and Happy Birthday ! Just to add to your preparation, if your not familiar with photography, you might want to study that too. After all our air crafts are really a flying platform for cameras. Best of luck !!

No offense intended sir, but those are really bad examples. I’m 69 and have ridden motorcycles since I was 15. I’ve seen way too many idiots who have taken and passed the motorcycle safety course that really need more experience to safely be riding on the road.

Excellent point
You can not protect the world from Idiots.
Where I have a problem is with the difference between Recreational and Commercial drone rules for drones.
There is not a clear cut difference. A Rec. flyer can take photos for fun and then sell them and he get paid. A Comm. Flyer
can take photos and get paid . I think there is a difference in the regulations for flying at night also ?
Lets have rules and regulations that make sense. Making all drone pilots take a test
for knowledge and proficiency makes more sense than different rules for recreational and commercial drone pilots
that no one will follow ! If someone is flying for FUN and sees something that he thinks might be a photo he can sell
and takes the picture he just broke the rules. If that is the case - - - - - the rules SUCK and need to be changed . IMHO

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka