DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

part 107 license advantages?

Be careful of interpretation! If you receive any compensation for flying, and are not part 107 certified, you are in violation. If a friend of a private airplane pilot asks for him to take him up flying, and offers to pay for the "cost" of the flight (plane rental and gas) the pilot is in violation. The private pilot is receiving "free" hours. The private pilot must split the cost with his friend 50/50.

So there are no more restrictions if I want to just fly for fun being 107 certified as compared to if I weren't? According to the first response above from Brett8883 it sounded like 107 certified pilots were more heavily regulated if flying as a hobbyist.

No - flying recreationally under the 336 exemption is unchanged whether or not you are Part 107 certified.

If you choose to fly recreationally under Part 107 rules then that's fine too. The rules are different - some are more restrictive, such as the airspace requirements, firm altitude limit, no night flying without a waiver etc. On the other hand, in Class G airspace there are no notification requirements even if you are close to airports.

However, with the repeal of Section 336 (the Special Rule), the regulations on hobbyists will be increased considerably - more in line with existing Part 107 rules.

Reactions: DavidNDC
The equivalent qualification in the UK is the CAA PfCO (Civil Aviation Authority Permission for Commercial Operations). I am in the same predicament, thinking it would make hobby flying a drone more accessible in some way, I have just spent £820 on a course (About $1,070), and then been told it's gonna cost another £250 ($325) to apply for my CAA certificate, total cost around £1,000 ($1,300). I now know that if I break any of the regulations after qualification, they'll throw the book at me because I should have known better. There is no legal requirement here for any flying qualification, just a whole set of guidelines and restrictions. I'm starting to feel it might have been more sensible to stay wealthy, stay dumb and stay out of trouble.

Hi Guys,
My 2 cent worth is that all drone pilots should be required to be Part 107 certified and all this discussion goes away.
In my mind it is no different than driving a motorcycle.
I need to prove I know the rules and have the skills.
Just like Hunter Safety courses etc.
X2

This is only based on my opinion which in turn is based on flying my DJI drones for a few years.
Of all the drone pilots I know, I don’t know of any that are making money with their Part 107 certificate. If they are they certainly aren’t mentioning it. Which really makes me question the return on your investment of time and money. Real estate is often mentioned as a market, but real estate agents I know of just go out and buy their own drone.

As for having more access of places to fly, I think that too is a misconception. I live in a NFZ within 5 miles of a commercial/military airport with other major airports near by. As long as I follow the rules and notify the tower I have no trouble getting the restrictions lifted on my drone. This is the same regardless of what certificate a drone pilot might have.

So for me at least, getting a Part 107 certificate serves no practical purpose at all. I fly strictly as a hobby for aerial photography. I don’t buy into the notion that passing a test makes you better. I think experience, following the rules, and a good dose of common sense makes you better.

As I said, this is only my opinion, but I really think there are a lot of people taking the test purely for bragging rights. Not that there’s anything wrong with that, but I do think the misconceptions of having a 107 certificate should be brought back to reality.

Hi Guys,
My 2 cent worth is that all drone pilots should be required to be Part 107 certified and all this discussion goes away.
In my mind it is no different than driving a motorcycle.
I need to prove I know the rules and have the skills.
Just like Hunter Safety courses etc.

No offense intended sir, but those are really bad examples. I’m 69 and have ridden motorcycles since I was 15. I’ve seen way too many idiots who have taken and passed the motorcycle safety course that really need more experience to safely be riding on the road.

...and that would be nice, but accepting donuts in exchange for commercial pics can get you in trouble. Go figure!

Has that actually happened anywhere? Is the FAA tracking donuts? I fly on commercial airliners so I certainly hope that’s where their focus is!

One thing I didn't see mentioned - If something sad happens the person would be held to a higher standard in court. Just something to consider.

Also, how do I get my fancy vest? ;)

Reactions: Soledamcer
Hi guys, so I ordered a drone but won't open it for a couple more weeks since my wife is wanting me to wait for my birthday. In the mean time, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the drone (Mavic 2 Pro) and everything else about flying.

I live in a very scenic part of the country with plenty of space to fly around interesting scenery within a short drive. I do not plan on making any money with my drone, but plan on just making it a hobby, and using it to get the family out more. I am 35 and haven't been this excited for a birthday since I was a kid!

If I understand, to use a drone commercially you need to have this license. Again, I'm not planning on using it commercially, but I wonder if it can be a buffer against harassers, just to say you are FAA certified. Plus I could buy one of those cool vests!

My questions is pertaining to an FAA license (is this called a part 107 license?):

1) for a hobbyist, are there any advantages to having one?
2) any disadvantages?

Thanks
Download Airmaps and learn it. Really learn it. This app saved my butt from a whacko ranger in NWFla. I showed a screen shot of the area and I knew I was in the right .......... by less than a 1/4 mile

Reactions: TheRock
Well, haven’t won a drone photo contest (yet), but I won some nice Kodak photomicroscopy equipment in a contest after I took photos specifically to try to win it...... I hate liver fluke parasites, but I knew Kodak would like them and I never tried that again! Yuck!!

There’s a difference in what you’re saying about not being able to enter contests and when I said about accepting awards at contest for your photos, isn’t there? All this time I assumed a person just couldn’t except any monetary reward for it.

I do know you can’t fly for donuts! :(
Speaking of donuts........ this past hunting season, I flew a sack of two jelly donuts over to my sons shooting house. He reached out of the window and unhooked it from a ground wire hook. Hey, you Gotta eat

This is a topic that has always confused me. Or at least the info in the forums confuses me. Where do the Reg’s specifically say that a 107 pilot can fly near a small airport without notification? It seems somewhat counterintuitive since the 107 pilot probably knows about the airport from looking at a sectional, or AirMap, while a recreational pilot wouldn’t. Thanks.

With a larger airport, the recreational flyer (often me) just needs to inform ATC, while a 107 needs authorization. Go figure.

Hi guys, so I ordered a drone but won't open it for a couple more weeks since my wife is wanting me to wait for my birthday. In the mean time, I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the drone (Mavic 2 Pro) and everything else about flying.

I live in a very scenic part of the country with plenty of space to fly around interesting scenery within a short drive. I do not plan on making any money with my drone, but plan on just making it a hobby, and using it to get the family out more. I am 35 and haven't been this excited for a birthday since I was a kid!

If I understand, to use a drone commercially you need to have this license. Again, I'm not planning on using it commercially, but I wonder if it can be a buffer against harassers, just to say you are FAA certified. Plus I could buy one of those cool vests!

My questions is pertaining to an FAA license (is this called a part 107 license?):

1) for a hobbyist, are there any advantages to having one?
2) any disadvantages?

Thanks
It is actually a certificate, but hey, who cares what it's called. You can easily tell everyone that asks, "I am registered with the FAA" and it is a true statement because as soon as you open your birthday present you'll want to go to the FAA web at FAADroneZone and register yourself. Be sure you also place your registration data on the outside of the bird.

As far as obtaining a Part 107 certificate, unless you desire to monetize your pilot skills, no need. There are more than ample web sites and YouTube videos to help you increase you knowledge without being a Part 107 .
Even the FAA web has a sample of their 107 test: https://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/test_questions/media/uag_sample_exam.pdf
more (but not all) examples:
https://jrupprechtlaw.com/part-107-knowledge-test
FAA Part 107 Drone Exam Practice Tests - Page 1 | 3DR
13 Most Missed Part 107 Test Prep Questions | Drone Pilot Ground School
Free FAA Part 107 sUAS & Drone Certification Study Guide | Northrup.Photo
AND, of course, this forum!!!

OK, now you have the idea on where to start. There is a whole lot of data out there jist waitin' fer ya!
Start searchin' and learn all you can. You objective is to be the best and safest pilot you know.
Oh, yeah, think of a name for your bird, something cool and something that reflects your inner child.

Have Fun!!!

R,
Jeffrey

Reactions: Megalodrone
personally I'd buy the two books to read and learn... watch the vids to make sure you understand what you are reading and then if you get into the hobby deeper and feel like you might want to make some money then go ahead and take the tests.... at the worst case you will become a more informed drone pilot... its also better to know what you are doing if you ever do get stopped and asked questions... its not hard to study and you do learn a few things most people don't know.. like how to read the maps correctly...

This is a topic that has always confused me. Or at least the info in the forums confuses me. Where do the Reg’s specifically say that a 107 pilot can fly near a small airport without notification? It seems somewhat counterintuitive since the 107 pilot probably knows about the airport from looking at a sectional, or AirMap, while a recreational pilot wouldn’t. Thanks.

With a larger airport, the recreational flyer (often me) just needs to inform ATC, while a 107 needs authorization. Go figure.

It doesn't say that. Part 107 instead says what you cannot do and, by implication, what you don't need to do:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).​

In other words the restrictions under Part 107 are purely defined by the class of airspace. If you are in Class G airspace, even within 5 miles of an airport, you are allowed to fly.

Agreed on the Class G airspace. I live in Class D airspace, so I have to have prior authorization to fly in a 107 capacity, as you show above. in the "old" days, that could take up to 90 days, though I guess with LAANC it's much faster now. But when I fly recreationally, I only have to notify them, usually within minutes of when I am going to fly. That's what seems backwards to me. The person with more training, who knows the rules, can read a sectional chart, etc., is more restricted (in Class B, C, D, E airspace).

Agreed on the Class G airspace. I live in Class D airspace, so I have to have prior authorization to fly in a 107 capacity, as you show above. in the "old" days, that could take up to 90 days, though I guess with LAANC it's much faster now. But when I fly recreationally, I only have to notify them, usually within minutes of when I am going to fly. That's what seems backwards to me. The person with more training, who knows the rules, can read a sectional chart, etc., is more restricted (in Class B, C, D, E airspace).
Pressing a few buttons in AirMap is definitely easier than trying to get someone on the phone (and figuring out who that correct person is), explaining what I'm doing, and hoping they don't object. And of course for Class E & G airports, I don't even have to pull up AirMap, I just fly (just not too close to the airport). This may not be a big benefit to some people but around here there are dozens of heliports and airports that pretty much eliminate your ability to fly anywhere close without a 107 certification.

That's a direct result of the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012, which prevented the FAA from regulating model aircraft. Now that has been repealed we will see real regulations.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242