DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 renewal/extensions

mrwagdog

Reactions
Hey all,

I did the 6 month extension for my part 107 earlier this year, which I believe expires this month.

I’m not seeing anything on continued extensions or renewals.

Does anyone have any info on what’s going on or how renewals are working now?

Anybody?

I see there is a new set of rules that seems to say that there will only be an online renewal process:

"Remote Pilot knowledge test changes
The final rule updates the initial Remote Pilot knowledge test to include night subject areas.
Additionally, the final rule replaces the requirement to complete an in-person recurrent test every 24
calendar months. The updated requirement is for remote pilots to complete online recurrent training
which will include night subject areas. The online recurrent training will be offered free of charge to
remote pilots. "

I hope that will apply to me as my "extension" expires this month.

I'm in the same boat. I need to re-up my license and have already used the 6 month extension. It looks like the new rules you mentioned won't take effect until March at the earliest. I don't know if testing centers are even open, as I'm in Southern California where COVID is running rampant.

The online TRAINING module will be available March 1st which you can take and you'll be CURRENT again but you won't be able to utilize Night Operations (without an existing waiver) until March 16th.

Yes KTC (Knowledge Testing Centers) are open and administering In-Person Recurrency testing. If your currency goes out before March 1st and you need to fly Part 107 you'll have to go in-person and pay the ~$150.

Reactions: makneyse
hi ! today is march 21. 2021. i started march 2017 (and old rules) brought me current to march 2019. what do i do (not in a rush) to be current again ? retest ? go online route if when available? thank you for reading !!!

Reactions: BigAl07
hi ! today is march 21. 2021. i started march 2017 (and old rules) brought me current to march 2019. what do i do (not in a rush) to be current again ? retest ? go online route if when available? thank you for reading !!!
As I understand it, you have two options - go to a testing center, pay the fee, pass the test - or - wait for the online training to become available, supposed to be April 6 but could get delayed again, who knows. Online trailing is supposed to be free. My currency stopped the end of January, but I don't typically have any commercial projects until summer - I shoot mostly boats - so I'm waiting for the online training.

@KAOS Imagery nailed it.

If urgent go take the test in-person but you won't be able to utilize the "New" privilege's (Operations Over People, Flying at night without a Waiver) until you go back and take an update ReCurrency training module. Hopefully the 4/6/21 date doesn't change again but check back on this forum for UPDATES before taking your test to be sure.

is online training for new pilots or only for renewals?

I need to get my Part 107, but there's not a lot of urgency and waiting for an online training/exam sounds a lot easier than testing at a facility...

Reactions: mdmd23md
is online training for new pilots or only for renewals?

I need to get my Part 107, but there's not a lot of urgency and waiting for an online training/exam sounds a lot easier than testing at a facility...

Online Training is ONLY for Recurrency. For the initial Part 107 you still have to pay and take the in-person Part 107 Knowledge Test (and pass).

Hi folks, So i did the recurrence. It does not seem to "connect" to the FAA registry system Or Drone Zone. I guess im ok, but again I did have a lapse of more than 2 years after my Original Exam.

i started march 2017 (and old rules) brought me current to march 2019.

Any thoughts on Connectivity or plugging in the online recurrence certificate number somewhere ?

thanks !

Reactions: mdmd23md
thank you ! I didn't quite get an answer via that thread. I plugged in my Part 107 certificate number before taking the faasafety.gov videos and test, and they did offer a printable certificate. I guess the dichotomy of websites makes me want to know it is official for various reasons like insurance (and being actually legal) and such. If it were all the same website i would have more faith that all is updated and well. Does that make sense ?

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PetefromNZ