DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test/Recurrency go LIVE 4/6/21... Important notes . . .

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reactions
As of tomorrow the Part 107 Initial Knowledge Test (in person) and Recurrency Training Module (online) will go LIVE with the new materials to cover Night Flights w/o a Waiver and Operations Over People (OOP).

Let's take a quick moment to break this down.

• Tuesday 4//6/2021 Part 107 Testing/Training modules will be updated to include the NEW RULES for Part 107.
  • The NEW RULES for Part 107 don't actually go into effect until 4/21/2021.

So in a nutshell, even after you've passed the IKT or Recurrency Training Module for Part 107 you still can't USE the "privileges" of the New Rules until 4/21/2021.

4/6/21 New Testing/Training LIVE
4/21/21 New Rules for Part 107 go into EFFECT

If you'd like to read more about it here is a link to DSPA with an excellent write-up about it:

Is that now fully confirmed? I got this by email this morning:

The new course should be available some time tomorrow provided we are given the authorization to post it. At this moment, I’m 99% sure we will be able to make the course available tomorrow.​
FAA Safety Team Help Desk-BW​

Reactions: BigAl07
Is that now fully confirmed? I got this by email this morning:

The new course should be available some time tomorrow provided we are given the authorization to post it. At this moment, I’m 99% sure we will be able to make the course available tomorrow.​
FAA Safety Team Help Desk-BW​

It's as confirmed as we can be but you can't say for SURE until tomorrow.

I do know testing facilities were instructed to not do any more testing with the "current" system after today. That's a pretty strong indictor but since this is an Administrative level process it could be put on hold on the last hour but hopefully NOT!!

Reactions: sar104
Yep. Just completed the course and exam. Took about an hour.
Could you post a link for the course and exam please?

Reactions: dioscuriII
Reactions: PaulNH
Passed my 107 recurrent, what a waste of my time..... granted I am non current Part 61 (although I logged 1.8 hours with an Instructor last week) but other than the operations over people stuff it was all stuff most of us probably already knew, especially if you have done any reading on 107.29 or tried to get a waiver (like they gave any out prior to today)

Attachments

• 107 black.png
    107 black.png
    899.9 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: dawgpilot
Passed my 107 recurrent, what a waste of my time..... granted I am non current Part 61 (although I logged 1.8 hours with an Instructor last week) but other than the operations over people stuff it was all stuff most of us probably already knew, especially if you have done any reading on 107.29 or tried to get a waiver (like they gave any out prior to today)

You'd be shocked how many Part 107 holders have no idea about the majority of what's on the Recurrency Training. We see it each and every day . . .

You'd be shocked how many Part 107 holders have no idea about the majority of what's on the Recurrency Training. We see it each and every day . . .
I agree with BigAl07as a manned aircraft pilot and former FAASTeam Lead Representative. Safety seminars and quality forums such as MavicPilots are filled with people for care, studied and remain current. So yes the course should be easier for those people.

Ok, basic question but...the following is a description of ALC 515 and 677:
  • Part 107 remote pilots who are also certificated and current under Part 61:
    • Take the Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Recurrent (ALC -515) online course
    • Available on the FAA Safety Team (FAASTeam) website for no cost

• All individuals who hold a Part 107 remote pilot certificate (regardless of currency):
    • Take the Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent Non-Part 61 Pilots (ALC-677) online course

As a 107 pilot and current part 61 do I understand from the above wording that I need to take ALC 515? I think I read 677 as "non-manned" pilots....and ALC 515 is for 107 pilots that are current 61 pilots. Do not wish to take an ALC course with the wrong stripes. Thanks for any clarification/confirmation. Seems like my understanding is correct and but new to the drone side of the FAA

100% agree!

I agree with BigAl07as a manned aircraft pilot and former FAASTeam Lead Representative. Safety seminars and quality forums such as MavicPilots are filled with people for care, studied and remain current. So yes the course should be easier for those people.

Ok, basic question but...the following is a description of ALC 515 and 677:
  • Part 107 remote pilots who are also certificated and current under Part 61:
    • Take the Part 107 Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Recurrent (ALC -515) online course

• All individuals who hold a Part 107 remote pilot certificate (regardless of currency):
    • Take the Part 107 Small UAS Recurrent Non-Part 61 Pilots (ALC-677) online course

As a 107 pilot and current part 61 do I understand from the above wording that I need to take ALC 515? I think I read 677 as "non-manned" pilots....and ALC 515 is for 107 pilots that are current 61 pilots. Do not wish to take an ALC course with the wrong stripes. Thanks for any clarification/confirmation. Seems like my understanding is correct and but new to the drone side of the FAA
ALC-515 if you are absolutely 100% current on your Part 61

Part 107 sUAS Recurrent – Part 61 Pilots Introduction
The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than limited recreational use. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address UAS classification, certification, and operating rules.
This training is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR § 61.56) who wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with an sUAS rating.

ALC-515 if you are absolutely 100% current on your Part 61

Part 107 sUAS Recurrent – Part 61 Pilots Introduction
The FAA has developed regulations to allow the operation of small unmanned aircraft systems (sUAS) in the National Airspace System (NAS) for purposes other than limited recreational use. The rules are specified in 14 CFR part 107 and address UAS classification, certification, and operating rules.
This training is designed for part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review (in accordance with 14 CFR § 61.56) who wish to remain current as a part 107 remote pilot with an sUAS rating.
Neggy, I have been an active manned pilot ATP/CFI for 37 years. I have had my 107 by virtue of what you described since 2016. I guess I knew the answer on the course that was rolled out today. I honestly put it our there for people not to confuse the ALC 515 and ALC 677. As a "fully current 61 pilot" I am going with ALC 515 being the appropriate course. Thanks for taking the time to reply. It confirms what I knew and hopefully other will take the correct course also! 677 unmanned only 515 manned pilot part 61. Working on the course as we speak.

I took it today. Most of the stuff I knew, of course, but there are always things you forget. Spending an hour and a half reviewing it seems to me like a good use of time. After that, the exam was quite easy. I got 98%--and then noticed that 100% is required to pass! But it turns out they show you the questions you got wrong and let you correct them, so I ended up with 100% anyway.

As of tomorrow the Part 107 Initial Knowledge Test (in person) and Recurrency Training Module (online) will go LIVE with the new materials to cover Night Flights w/o a Waiver and Operations Over People (OOP).

Let's take a quick moment to break this down.

• Tuesday 4//6/2021 Part 107 Testing/Training modules will be updated to include the NEW RULES for Part 107.
  • The NEW RULES for Part 107 don't actually go into effect until 4/21/2021.

So in a nutshell, even after you've passed the IKT or Recurrency Training Module for Part 107 you still can't USE the "privileges" of the New Rules until 4/21/2021.

4/6/21 New Testing/Training LIVE
4/21/21 New Rules for Part 107 go into EFFECT

If you'd like to read more about it here is a link to DSPA with an excellent write-up about it:

Great article, thanks for sharing!

Reactions: halifax and BigAl07
I past my 107 last June.
Isn’t my cert good for two years?
So if I wanna fly at night or over people
I need to retest?
Thank u

To fly under the revised Part 107 rules at night or over people you need to take the new recurrent training.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hippysmavic