DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test/Recurrency go LIVE 4/6/21... Important notes . . .

I past my 107 last June.
Isn’t my cert good for two years?
So if I wanna fly at night or over people
I need to retest?
Thank u
Congrats :)

And yes if you want to enjoy the privs of the new rules you'll need to train/test on them and get current with the new rules. That will reset your 24month clock.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
So I just follow the links provided?
Does it cost?
Unless you want to send the FAA a voluntary contribution - NO. It does cost your time but as a long time flight instructor I would say that we all can use a refresher. You often learn something new or think about a topic from a different angle and learn. Happy flying.

As of tomorrow the Part 107 Initial Knowledge Test (in person) and Recurrency Training Module (online) will go LIVE with the new materials to cover Night Flights w/o a Waiver and Operations Over People (OOP).
I took the course/test last night. I thought the coverage of the new rules was pretty good compared to other summaries I've seen online.

Due to a quirk in timing, my Part 107 expired at the end of March, but my online recurrent won't be valid until April 21 when the new rules take effect. (I confirmed this with the FAA.)

Reactions: JohnnyD913
I took the course/test last night. I thought the coverage of the new rules was pretty good compared to other summaries I've seen online.

Due to a quirk in timing, my Part 107 expired at the end of March, but my online recurrent won't be valid until April 21 when the new rules take effect. (I confirmed this with the FAA.)
Are you saying you feel you are not current from last night until April 21st? I think, and BigAl07 or others can verify, you are current for "old school" standard flying but the "new" authorizations take effect April 21st. Maybe that is what you meant?

Reactions: BigAl07

Either you worded your question wrong to the FAA or the FAA Agent misunderstood your question. Who did you speak with from the FAA between last night and today? If you want to PM me their information I can help make sure they are up to speed on this to resolve any confusion.

The moment you complete Recurrency you are current for the existing regulations. The key point is that with this Recurrency you learned about future regulations that don't go into effect until 4/21/21.

If you completed and passed your Part 107 Recurrency (ALC-677) you are CURRENT to exercise your Part 107 Privileges with today's regulations. As a bonus, you will also be able to utilize the new Regulation Allowances that go into effect 4/21/21.

Why is this, mine was the same, they expired in March and I just took it.
Mine says effective April 10, 2021.

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about the regs that go into place on April 21?

Why is this, mine was the same, they expired in March and I just took it.
Mine says effective April 10, 2021.

Not sure what you mean, are you talking about the regs that go into place on April 21?
Drone4 see BigAl07 response immediately above. He said it thoroughly and understandably.

Reactions: Drone4
I finished the course and passed the exam on the first try earlier today. It took me a couple of hours to complete everything. While most of the course was repetitive and common sense, some of the information regarding flying at night, flying over people, and carrying cargo (that is what most of the new rules were about anyway) was useful knowledge. Mainly, I am glad I did not have to go to a testing center and pay a fee to keep my certification current.

Reactions: maggior
To fly under the revised Part 107 rules at night or over people you need to take the new recurrent training.
Actually, only the Night Ops is tied to the new training or initial test. While there were questions and/or study material on flights over people, that is automatically added to your 107 privileges on 4/21.

Reactions: joeywestside
Actually, only the Night Ops is tied to the new training or initial test. While there were questions and/or study material on flights over people, that is automatically added to your 107 privileges on 4/21.

Yes - good point. The night operations explicitly require the new training per the amended 107.29, but operation over people under the amended 107.39 only requires compliance with subpart D.

Since these both require knowledge of requirements that was not in the previous Part 107 and are covered in the new training and testing, one might reasonably ask why 107.29 requires the training while 107.39 doesn't. For Categories 2 - 4 that arguably might be due to the fact that there are no aircraft yet with declarations of compliance or certificates of airworthiness covering those operations, but what about Category 1?

Yes - good point. The night operations explicitly require the new training per the amended 107.29, but operation over people under the amended 107.39 only requires compliance with subpart D.

Since these both require knowledge of requirements that was not in the previous Part 107 and are covered in the new training and testing, one might reasonably ask why 107.29 requires the training while 107.39 doesn't. For Categories 2 - 4 that arguably might be due to the fact that there are no aircraft yet with declarations of compliance or certificates of airworthiness covering those operations, but what about Category 1?
I’m not sure of the logic. Because people need training for both.

Reactions: sar104
Just nailed it, but didn’t realize they wanted 100% correct until just before I took the test.

Agreed.....that is why I took the class, just to learn the new night flight and OOP rulings. Worth the effort, but now Instead of taking recurrent in September, which is when my original 107 needs to be renewed, I have to take the class in April in 24 month. That kind of sucks. If anyone knows anything different, let me know please.

Agreed.....that is why I took the class, just to learn the new night flight and OOP rulings. Worth the effort, but now Instead of taking recurrent in September, which is when my original 107 needs to be renewed, I have to take the class in April in 24 month. That kind of sucks. If anyone knows anything different, let me know please.
When you take the new training on the FAAsafety.gov website (ALC-677), you're current for another 24 months. YOu don't have to take it again for another 24 months. It doesn't matter when you took your initial.

I do have a question about the paperwork that you are required to furnish to authorities. Is that the big certificate to prove currency or the small one on the second page? I would think that is what the small one is for, to be printed out and carried with you to prove currency.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78