DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test Course Input

dougstroud

Reactions
I am asking for input on the differents learning organizations to use for Part 107 Test Course and possibly beyond. I have reviewed videos on Part 107 from all the different companies listed below and I have found good things about each of them. My list below is ranked by favorite presenter, based on knowlege and presentation. Price is secondary as long as it is not terribly out of the ballpark. My aim of course is to pass the test, but along the way to gain a good understanding of the subject in its entirety, not just pass the test. Since I have started flying over the past week or so and diving into the content I have found aeronautics to be super fascinating.

1. Peletier Photo Courses $139
2. UAV Coach- Sale $192
3. Altitude University- $97
4. Drone Launch- Sale $99.50
5. Drone Pro Academy- Sale $37
6. Pilot Institute- Sale $107

Thanks everyone here and Happy Thanksgiving :)

ps. I cross-posted this in Facebook in the Virginia Drone Pilot Group. I am posting here because I have a great deal of respect of the members here and looking for different opinions from those who have been around this much longer than myself.

Last edited:
Reactions: R.Cowan
The Pilot Institute is your Go-To if you want to actually learn the Subject Matter as opposed to learning to pass the test.

I’ve not heard of 3,4 or 5.
As important as content is the ability to stay engaged with the presenter and material. Me? I’ve got the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel and have learning style issues. So I went the self study route because I do better with a variety of sources because when I can’t grasp a concept one source provides there are alternative sources that help clarify.

Regardless of which you go with the one suggestion I would make is to take a number of free pre-tests from various providers as you go along. I found these to be excellent in helping me find the holes in my knowledge base and show what needed more study and review. JMO

Reactions: dougstroud
I don't have any experience with the other courses listed besides the Pilot Institute's course. I thought the course was comprehensive and engaging. Not only did you learn the material needed to pass the 107 exam but more importantly you get a tremendous understanding of aviation in general. I doubt that Greg could make any significant improvements in his course (or courses). I would not have done as well as I did without his course. You won't be disappointed.

For the record, I had no previous aviation knowledge.

Edit - The pilot Institutes 107 course for $107 is a no brainer and a steal.....

I'm part owner of another online school (not listed above), and I 100% suggest you use @pilotinstitute . It's the best, hands down.

Join their facebook page too. It's almost as valuable as their classes. Almost...

Thanks to Greg’s Pilot Institute course I aced my exam and feel that I know a bit more than the basic requirements. He makes what would otherwise be dry material very engaging and fun.

I am asking for input on the differents learning organization to use for Part 107 Test Course and possibly beyond. I have reviewed videos on Part 107 from all the different companies listed below and I have found good things about each of them. My list below is ranked by favorite presenter, based on knowlege and presentation. Price is secondary as long as it is not terribly out of the ballpark. My aim of course is to pass the test, but along the way to gain a good understanding of the subject in its entirety, not just pass the test. Since I have started flying over the past week or so and diving into the content I have found aeronautics to be super fascinating.

2. UAV Coach- Sale $192

ps. I cross-posted this in Facebook in the Virginia Drone Pilot Group. I am posting here because I have a great deal of respect of the members here and looking for different opinions from those who have been around this much longer than myself.

Thanks for the advice everyone- after a resounding vote for Pilot Institute I went this route. Happy Thanksgiving 🙂

Reactions: BigAl07
I am asking for input on the differents learning organizations to use for Part 107 Test Course and possibly beyond. I have reviewed videos on Part 107 from all the different companies listed below and I have found good things about each of them. My list below is ranked by favorite presenter, based on knowlege and presentation. Price is secondary as long as it is not terribly out of the ballpark. My aim of course is to pass the test, but along the way to gain a good understanding of the subject in its entirety, not just pass the test. Since I have started flying over the past week or so and diving into the content I have found aeronautics to be super fascinating.

2. UAV Coach- Sale $192

I used Pilot Institute for my training and was very pleased. Passed my test with a 95. Greg's approach to training is consistent with what you are looking for. Not just passing a test, but actually learning. Good luck and happy flying!

I passed the test 7 weeks ago with a 93%, I studied with Pilot Institute. My take from the test is this, know the material. I am telling you this because I took a really weird test, the way the questions were presented it was way different than all the practice questions online. Try to understand the subject and the why. It was like trying to solve a puzzle in each question. In my case, the chart questions were the easy ones because the answer is always in the chart. I have like 10 questions asking me who was responsible for this or that, which it was a bonus, it is always the PIC. I hope this helps.

2. UAV Coach- Sale $192

I’m a bit of an outlier here, but I spent $20 on this course from Udemy: Udemy 107 Course

I felt like the instructor taught the material, not the test. FAA is hip to all this and one must truly understand the caveats of Part 107 in order to safely fly under those rules, commercially or otherwise. I don’t think you can just ”study for the test” these days. Test questions online will not help much. Pilot Institute will get the job done for you I’m sure.

The FAA also has a study guide which I found invaluable though tedious: FAA 107 Study Guide.

Best of luck on test day and welcome to the world of 107.

I’m a bit of an outlier here, but I spent $20 on this course from Udemy: Udemy 107 Course

I felt like the instructor taught the material, not the test. FAA is hip to all this and one must truly understand the caveats of Part 107 in order to safely fly under those rules, commercially or otherwise. I don’t think you can just ”study for the test” these days. Test questions online will not help much. Pilot Institute will get the job done for you I’m sure.

The FAA also has a study guide which I found invaluable though tedious: FAA 107 Study Guide.

Best of luck on test day and welcome to the world of 107.
Thank you... for your thoughtful reply and warm welcome

Reactions: bmcelya
You’re welcome. Here’s some other things you may want to consider.

Safer Skies Through Education - FAA - FAASTeam - FAASafety.gov

Part 107 Test Centers — Federal Drone Registration

FAA Part 107 Study Materials (Welcome new drone pilots!)
IACRA - Federal Aviation Administration

FAADroneZone

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/

This is just a start. More to do once you are certified, like LAANC. Three months after you submit your test score you get a nice laminated license card. I ran a copy and put the original in the firesafe. I don’t think you can get duplicates like a drivers license. Temporary license comes online in a week or so. Hint: Use the exact same information at each of the FAA sites when signing up.

I studied off and on for about three months, then scheduled the test. I decided to go to an airport for it. I like hanging around flying machines.

I used Remote Pilot 101 and found it very informative and easy to follow along. Lots of sample tests along the way, and a sample test with many of the questions you will likely find on the real test. $149 for lifelong usage, and they constantly update the course as rules change.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000