DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 Test - My Experience

Gandalf00

Reactions
First off and tl;dr, I passed the test with an 88% score. Below is my experience preparing for the test, what happened at the test center and the actual test.

The whole process took me about 2 and a half months. Why so long? After about two weeks of studying, I felt I was ready to schedule the test. Unfortunately, there were no tests happening near me for about two months. I had no desire to drive a long distance and was not in any particular hurry anyway. So, I scheduled a test around two months out. After another week or so of studying, I stood down for a few weeks until about a week before the test and then went back over the material and finished the series of practice tests.

I used Remote Pilot Ground School. I also used Tony Northrup’s great YouTube video. My decision to use a paid service was mainly due to the fact that once you pay, you are a member for life, and I am hoping that in two years, any new information will be reliably incorporated into their material for the re-cert. I am not meaning to argue about paid vs free. Use whatever works for you. I used a hybrid approach that worked well for me. I am also not endorsing RPGS over other services other than to say they are what I used and I found them to be a good resource and helpful in preparing for the test. YMMV.

There is both local airport and PSI testing options available to me. I chose the PSI center instead of the airport center. The fee was $96 at PSI, as opposed to $150 at the AP. My decision was based solely on the lesser price.

Arrived 15 min before time, had to wait about 20 minutes while 4 other testers processed in ahead of me. None of those others were 107 testers.

Checked in with test proctor lady, she had me empty my pockets, wallet, keys, everything into a locker. I had possession of the key. I told her I brought a magnifying glass and flashlight to help me with the test. She wasn’t sure if those were allowed and said she would double check. She also wasn’t sure if I needed more than one form of ID (I didn’t; used my driver’s license). After checking, she could not get a straight answer on the glass and light. She said the tests are monitored real time and if they saw me doing something wrong, they would have her pull me out of the test and kick my a** (j/k about the last part :D ). I wound up putting away the light and keeping the glass. I was able to use it w/o any problem from the Watchers. Thank God, since the hardcopy FAA booklet they gave me would have been unreadable to me otherwise. There was enough light in the testing room so the flashlight turned out to be unnecessary.

One unusual aspect about check in was the difference in how I was treated compared to the others. I mean process rather than personally, as the lady was cheerful and very nice. She took a thumbprint and picture of the other testers, but did not do so with me. I suppose Part 107 test is special or something, or at least not as sensitive as what the other people were testing for.

The testing room had a bunch of computers separated by tabletop partitions. There was around 7-8 people taking tests. She had problems getting the test up and had to call tech support. Apparently, the 107 test requires some extra hoops that tests from other parts of the gov’t do not require. I suppose it also could be not many people take the 107 test at that location and she wasn’t familiar with the setup. Whatever, she eventually got it working.

Another process difference was that she told other testers PSI was going green and gave them tablets instead of scratch paper. But me, she gave scratch paper. When I joked about it, she offered me one of the tablets, but I really was just joking and kept the paper. I wound up not using it in any case.

One thing they supplied that I didn’t really understand was a clear plastic sheet and a non-permanent marker and an eraser (like for white boards). I don’t know what that was for, didn’t see a need for it, so I did not use it.

After she got the test going it was pretty straight forward. There is a 5 question practice test you can take (non-aviation related questions) which demonstrate the use of the interface.

Each question on the real test has three possible answers, which you choose one via a radio button. Along the bottom of the screen are several boxes you can click:

====
Prev & Next – Obvious, goes to prev or next question. If you are at question 60 and hit Next it wraps back around to 1.

Bookmark - Click this to mark questions you want to come back to later.

>> - Use this to jump to next marked question. You can still go one question at a time using the Next button.

Calculator - a button which brings up a simple calculator on screen, so no need to bring one to the test. Before the test, she offered me a paper calculator which I guess was aviation related. I declined since I had no clue how to use it.

Time - click this and a real time countdown will show the time remaining. Why this is togglable I do not know. Maybe some people don’t want the “pressure” of knowing how much time is left??
====

If you have been studying, the questions were all pretty familiar, so the test itself was not bad. A lot of my questions were on airspace and radio comm. I still have not got the CTAF, *COMs and such down very well in terms of when to use and specific purpose, but I muddled through.

After going through the test and then reviewing all the marked answers, I went through all 60 questions again just as a last check. I wound up changing 2 or 3 of my answers. All told it took me about 1:15.

A lot of questions were easy to answer even if you were not familiar with that subject because 2 of the answers were obviously nonsense. However, there were also a lot of questions that referred to various Figures in the booklet and had specific answers, so I would not count on that approach to pass the entire test. Some of the questions required you to just have a particular answer memorized.

After finishing and submitting the test, I packed up everything and headed back to the proctor. She gave me the results right away. They give a pass/fail and what score, but do not tell you which questions you got right or wrong.

Here are some random thoughts of what I remember about questions and possible answers, and some advice about some things to know for test.

====
Part 107 covers civil, public & civil small UAS (don’t remember the 3rd option)

Class C has what floor altitude in general?

Know when Class E has floor of 700 vs 1200

Max weight of UAS. 55 or less than 55 (Check wording of all questions carefully. Differences can sometimes be subtle, thus being a “trick” question)

When does load get “significant” (in terms of bank angle)? 15%, 30%, or 45%

Performance in cold air vs hot, humid air

When dew point and temp are at 10C, what to expect? Severe icing, or fog (don’t recall third answer. I screwed this question because for some reason during the test, my brain just thought 10F instead of 10C despite it being right there in front of me. Doh!)

Performance at high density alt. less, same, or more

What to expect with stable air. Poor visibility, or showery rain, (don’t recall 3rd answer)

Question about where do aircraft enter the traffic pattern of an airport.
====

That is about all I can remember. If you are taking the test, hang in there and good luck! While the test is not trivial by any means, it is pretty easily passable with a bit of effort.

Congratulations! The center where I took the test provided a magnifying glass. I can’t imagine taking the test without it. The map questions can take some time to find whatever location they are referrIng to so I marked a few of those to come back to rather than getting bogged down. The clear sheet and marker was probably to put over a map and mark it without marking in the booklet. Most questions it was pretty easy to eliminate one answer, sometimes two. Tony Northrup has some good strategic advice on how to approach the questions.

Congratulations! The center where I took the test provided a magnifying glass. I can’t imagine taking the test without it. The map questions can take some time to find whatever location they are referrIng to so I marked a few of those to come back to rather than getting bogged down. The clear sheet and marker was probably to put over a map and mark it without marking in the booklet. Most questions it was pretty easy to eliminate one answer, sometimes two. Tony Northrup has some good strategic advice on how to approach the questions.
Thanks. I was lucky in that all the map questions I had on the test referred to locations that were easy to find or that I was familiar with through the study material and practice tests.

I am currently studying for it, although I find the material interesting, 99% of it does not apply to drones. We are limited to 400' or less, and supposed to not fly into airports or even within 5 nm without approval, which I am pretty sure most if not all decent drones will not allow anyway. Pretty sure DJI won't from basically quickly looking at the fly safe settings, Since we are not using airports and runways, what purpose does knowing the common traffic pattern is right turns? The weather section was interesting, however stages of thunderstorms apply to us? Umm, our drones are basically electric powered(battery) and electronic controlled..... typically water and electric do not play well together. Section on wind and wind sheer, yeah that can be usable, because we can see how wind effects our drones just by flying them when it is windy. I think the government felt like they have the authority to force testing and knowing who people are that have drones, especially who use them to make a living, to take more money from people. If there was an actual test it should be a flight test to see if people can even control them at all. Just because someone passes a written test on regulations and laws, prevents nothing.

I am currently studying for it, although I find the material interesting, 99% of it does not apply to drones. We are limited to 400' or less, and supposed to not fly into airports or even within 5 nm without approval, which I am pretty sure most if not all decent drones will not allow anyway. Pretty sure DJI won't from basically quickly looking at the fly safe settings, Since we are not using airports and runways, what purpose does knowing the common traffic pattern is right turns? The weather section was interesting, however stages of thunderstorms apply to us? Umm, our drones are basically electric powered(battery) and electronic controlled..... typically water and electric do not play well together. Section on wind and wind sheer, yeah that can be usable, because we can see how wind effects our drones just by flying them when it is windy. I think the government felt like they have the authority to force testing and knowing who people are that have drones, especially who use them to make a living, to take more money from people. If there was an actual test it should be a flight test to see if people can even control them at all. Just because someone passes a written test on regulations and laws, prevents nothing.

You are thinking very NARROWLY here. While DJI is the industry leader in Consumer UAS and yes the Mavic series is a heavy portion of that, think BIGGER and more than DJI Mavic.

The FAA Part 107 Regulations apply more than just to Real Estate images and also includes R/C helicopters and planes. All of our UAS (multirotors, heli, planes) can and ARE used for operations more than just taking pretty pictures and creating YT content. Some of us fly larger more complex UAS in coordination with manned aircraft around and ON Airport Property. I've personally flown along a parallel runway a few hundred feet from an ACTIVE runway with manned aircraft utilizing the exact same Airspace.

Some UAS (the DJI M30T for instance) are water resistant and often times flown in very WET environments. Do you not think those people might should be able to read and correctly interpret a WX Forecast?

So knowing how to not just recognize but also to understand Airport Markings is an important part of SAFE AVIATING even though not every single DJI Mavic owner will fully utilize that aspect of the Part 107.

Think BIG picture and not just your DJI Mavic.

And the remark concerning "Govt take more $$" was your attempt at humor but it failed miserably. I suggest you refrain from digging that hole any deeper should you return from your "vacation" from the forum.

Tunnel Vision can be very dangerous . . .

• Haha
Reactions: Bob in Savannah
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580