DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 test passed

Please help the newbie????
What is the main reason/benefit for this 107, and how/where do i get take this exam?

Please help the newbie????
What is the main reason/benefit for this 107, and how/where do i get take this exam?
You have to have your 107 in the USA to legally be compensated for flying a drone. You take the test at a FAA authorized testing center, you can find the closest one to you on the FAA's website. I took an online course through RemotePilot101.com - they guarantee you pass the test or they will refund your money.
Here's the FAA FAQ, might help answer your questions:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Santa! In that case, i will definitely begin the process of getting certified. I got the Mavic to fly as a hobbyist. But with all the money i been spending on it, i might as well try to make some back.

You have to have your 107 in the USA to legally be compensated for flying a drone. You take the test at a FAA authorized testing center, you can find the closest one to you on the FAA's website. I took an online course through RemotePilot101.com - they guarantee you pass the test or they will refund your money.
Here's the FAA FAQ, might help answer your questions:
Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions
Could you also give your thoughts on FAA registration? Im reading a lot about how its required or no longer required and im not sure what to make of it. What are the pros and cons of registering a UAV with the FAA?

Could you also give your thoughts on FAA registration? Im reading a lot about how its required or no longer required and im not sure what to make of it. What are the pros and cons of registering a UAV with the FAA?

The court has ruled that the FAA cannot mandate hobby/recreational drones to be registered. The FAA released a statement saying they do not agree with the ruling and will be filing an appeal. They also say that they believe they will win and they recommend everyone continue to register.
Drones used for commercial purposes still have to register, the court ruling does not affect that.

Reactions: Ezay671
Probably not, you have to take it in person at a FAA authorized facility. Just curious, why would you want to? Unless you're planning to come to the USA and get paid to fly, you do not need it.
because Im international not only in Spain and here its a mess, the usual expensive drone courses but nothing to do with getting the license which is a very grey area.
The limit is 2kilos which means if you have an Inspire you need a license but where exactly you get this unclear in Spain

because Im international not only in Spain and here its a mess, the usual expensive drone courses but nothing to do with getting the license which is a very grey area.
The limit is 2kilos which means if you have an Inspire you need a license but where exactly you get this unclear in Spain

I would think that Spain and other countries in the region would have the equivalent to the FAA here in the USA. I'd check to see if you can find anything on the internet. I'd do a quick search for you, but since I do not speak Spanish, it would not be any help.

I took the 107 test after using the FAA study guide and one of the free test question sites.

there are easy questions like who is responsible for ( always the PIC), and more complicated questions like dealing with elevations and such ( Federal Airways have a 1200 foot AGL floor, etc)

If you know a pilot, they can teach you how to read a sectional chart and differentiate air spaces, etc.

If you can not read a sectional chart you are doomed.

I have been chasing my Part 61 license for 12 years... I'll never get it it but I enjoy flying every few months with a CFI, usually in a PA-28-161, so I already had a working knowledge of how to get the info off a chart.... if you want to experience a fun time, try reading a sectional chart in a cockpit at 2500 AGL ....

The rules, regulations, crew management BS, and weather questions can be learned from the FAA study guide.

The questions dealing with entering the pattern, pattern altitude, downwind, base, final approach... where a plane is in the pattern.... those are a tad more difficult.

just remember, when you take the test, and they reference a diagram that is a sectional, they will also reference a point on the map ( point 1, 2, 3, etc) and there may be many reference points... get the right point and the information you are looking for should be close to that point.... within a few inches.

and remember, when in doubt the answer is the Pilot In Charge

Reactions: Chirp
The court has ruled that the FAA cannot mandate hobby/recreational drones to be registered. The FAA released a statement saying they do not agree with the ruling and will be filing an appeal. They also say that they believe they will win and they recommend everyone continue to register.
Drones used for commercial purposes still have to register, the court ruling does not affect that.
that is not at all what they stated on the FAA site. They stated and I quote in quotation marks:
" We are carefully reviewing the U.S. Court of Appeals decision (PDF) as it relates to drone registrations. We are in the process of considering our response to the decision as well as any registration implications for non-commercial users. Please check this website regularly for further updates and instructions.

In the meantime, we encourage registration for all drone operators."

*** Encourage does not mean require. Unless a rehearing is granted and/or the order is not certified, which it appears it will be certified in a few days, there is no place other than SCOTUS for them to appeal. There's no decisional conflict with another CCA, so where are they going??? SCOTUS WONT TAKE IT. DCA CCA carries a lot of legal Cred. It's in Congress' hands at this point and I am sure this is not current priority. ***

Last edited:
In Spain AESA give a list of approved schools but they all want 800-1000 euros to go on the course, much more than the cost of some quads! Plus some of these courses are just learning to fly a drone theyre not the license.
Its like nautical licenses many are bought, with some people not even liking sailing..the $150 fee for the 107 is much more sensible, fair and attractive

As a licensed fixed wing pilot and flight instructor, I took advantage of taking the FAA Part 107 Remote Pilot Certificate exam online at not cost as long as you have had a flight review within the past 24 months. The site provided some preparation material and practice questions followed by the actual test. After I passed the test with a 97%, I printed out the completion certificate. The FAA IACRA site is then used to process the paperwork. After that you get a temporary certificate and might wait several months to get the actual permanent certificate. I just purchased a Mavic Pro yesterday and am looking forward to getting some great video and stills.

I recently took the Dart Drones prep class, very informative. Looking to take my test in a few weeks.

I started the RemotePilot101 class today after reading this. The local guys really want to stick it to me to cover this material. This way I can hack at it during odd times. I finished lesson one in an hour or two. Now it's on air spaces. Woot woot!

if you want to experience a fun time, try reading a sectional chart in a cockpit at 2500 AGL ....

You're right on Neggy. I would add try reading a chart at night under dim red lights (so you don't hurt your night vision) with the chart strapped to your knee.

Took the test this morning... passed with a 93% (missed 4 questions)... thanks to remotepilot101.com... great course...

I took the test yesterday and scored a 93% as well... I crammed the night before for 6 hours straight using only the remotepilot101.com videos. I don't recommend cramming the night before but the test snuck up on me :D

Took mine yesterday and passed. Did not opt for a paid training. Just read the study guide and watched a couple free videos and took the practice tests. Passed first time.

Did notice that there was a lot of questions that came up that were not covered in the cram videos on line. Also used the 120 practice question on 3DR of which only 3 of those question were in the test. Thought there would have been a. Lot more show up.

Not sure how big the pool of questions they pull from is?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato