DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Part 107 - Training courses

......I don't suppose there is any reference material like a drivers hand book that I can just read through? It seems the only way to learn anything about part 107 is to pay for it. At this point having only been a drone pilot for two weeks, I just want to learn as much as I can even though I am most likely going to stay recreational.

WDK
The thing is studying for part 107 will not teach you much about how to actually fly a drone.
At first your main goal should be to not Crash.
If I were just starting I would learn about that first.

Reactions: JohnnyD913
As Done has stated, read the drone manual and learn to fly safely. Next, learn the regs. so you know the laws when and where to fly. Think of it as learning to drive a car, you need to know how to drive a car plus the laws governing your responsibilities while driving. I fear some think that if you are just a hobbiest, then the responsibilities of knowing the regs do not apply.

The thing is studying for part 107 will not teach you much about how to actually fly a drone.
At first your main goal should be to not Crash.
If I were just starting I would learn about that first.
I have been flying since 2017.
Started with p3 then P4 until in 2018 I went Mavic pro..
I had dji refresh with the P4 and went thru all three.
Have refresh with Mavic and on last one.,
I consider myself a good pilot after admitting I was foolish with many drones.,
I’m a hard learner I guess..
I pushed the limits since I knew I had refresh.
Now all that is behind me and I’m ready to get serious and fly right.
By that I means rules..
I already know many rules and my drone is registered.

I’m ready to fly by the book and get my 107

I have been flying since 2017.
Started with p3 then P4 until in 2018 I went Mavic pro..
I had dji refresh with the P4 and went thru all three.
Have refresh with Mavic and on last one.,
I consider myself a good pilot after admitting I was foolish with many drones.,
I’m a hard learner I guess..
I pushed the limits since I knew I had refresh.
Now all that is behind me and I’m ready to get serious and fly right.

By that I means rules..
I already know many rules and my drone is registered.

I’m ready to fly by the book and get my 107
My story is very similar in 2017 I got a P4.
Crashed it twice on the exact same tree.
Then I learned Depth perception is nowhere near as good as you might think.
And that looking at the camera to avoid obstacles doesn’t work so well.
So rule number one stay far far away from trees powerlines and other such obstacles.
In fact figure out the maximum height of obstacles of where you’re flying and stay above that. For me that’s about 80 feet

As for the rules read and understand The simple recreational rules the FAA gives you. Judging from the posts here that alone will put you in the 90th percentile of understanding the rules
Much simpler than the rules to drive a car.

Last edited by a moderator:
So rule number one stay far far away from trees powerlines and other such obstacles.
In fact figure out the maximum height of obstacles of where you’re flying and stay above that. For me that’s about 80 feet

As for the rules read and understand The simple recreational rules the FAA gives you. Judging from the posts here that alone will put you in the 90th percentile of understanding the rules
Well said my friend

I agree, much easier than driving a car by the rules since each state has slightly different rules. At least with the FFA, if you know them, states laws differ very little, mostly just where you can fly. I am a newbie and just purchased a mini to use for my business so I need to get my Part 107. I am glad that I am learning the rules as I know I would be pushing the boundries otherwise. I love to push the limits but know how far I can go legally.

I agree, much easier than driving a car by the rules since each state has slightly different rules. At least with the FFA, if you know them, states laws differ very little, mostly just where you can fly. I am a newbie and just purchased a mini to use for my business so I need to get my Part 107. I am glad that I am learning the rules as I know I would be pushing the boundries otherwise. I love to push the limits but know how far I can go legally.
You can check the laws for your state here:

......I don't suppose there is any reference material like a drivers hand book that I can just read through? It seems the only way to learn anything about part 107 is to pay for it. At this point having only been a drone pilot for two weeks, I just want to learn as much as I can even though I am most likely going to stay recreational.

WDK

The FAA study guide will cover just about everything. You'll most likely need to go through it a bunch of times to learn it all.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol...s/aviation/media/remote_pilot_study_guide.pdf

Seems like the FAA moved the practice test to PSI and you need to create an account to view it, but there are plenty others around.

Check out remote pilot 101 if you use discount code heron18 receive 30% discount lifetime courses including recurring courses and the courses are very well laid out. With the code it’s around 104.00 that includes both courses lifetime.

This is the route I took - I used remote pilot 101 with the discount code. The content is great and I found it to be very beneficial and great value.

I watched all of their videos and used their practice test over a two week period. I felt confident with their material and scheduled my exam - passing with 90%. Most of the questions were indeed covered in study, but I did have a few odd questions in my exam that were new to me, and were not specifically covered in the training material.

I'd definitely recommend remotepilot101.com as a study source - Good luck to all future licensed UAS pilots!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair