DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Permission?

Hayabusa

Reactions
I live near a monument that I would like to film. I don’t have any restrictions on app that come up so if I took off from public street or area, could I fly near it/over it to film?

As long as you follow the rules you can do anything :)

^^ True generally.

Where are you located, most likely the US ?

Pretty sure in the US (like here in Australia) many local city managers can introduce laws to stop take off and landing on their managed land.

Maybe check local city bylaws if you can fly in the park etc anyway, you might not have any restrictions, and be able to fly close to take off point (much safer !!) to keep an eye on your bird AND people that may come along.

Yes if you take off from private property or other non local authority land, then you should be able to legally fly over the monument, as long as you can still keep VLOS, not over people, and other such FAA rules.

If you do this, plan it for a very quiet time, early morning (with good light / sunrise colours) or during a work day if it's less busy.
Maybe have a spotter near the target, but then you need comms (small 2 way etc) . . . check, not sure if spotter comms are allowable, maybe they need to be near you anyway.

I can take off from the street it area in front and then fly up to it. It’s literally about 50’ off sidewalk. But it’s a cool holocaust monument that I want to orbit. If I did it in early am, there would be no one around anyways. I was more concerned if it is legal.
I use to live close enough that I could have flown from my balcony but moved a little further. I want to film all the neat places of interest or ones that look cool.
Just an excuse to get out and fly.

The steps to find a legal location nowadays are a bit of a pain. But I would start with this:

1- look at a sectional and figure out what airspace you are in. (What airspace class, TFR’s, restricted etc...)

2- Confirm if LAANC is required or if close to school, prison, hospital, helipads via AIRMAP, as an example of an app you may use.

3- Google search your city name and the word drones, to see if you come up with any restrictions your city may have in an ordinance

4- If all clear, follow FAA rules, and common sense. Be safe, be smart, and go fly!

Reactions: Flycaster
I live near a monument that I would like to film. I don’t have any restrictions on app that come up so if I took off from public street or area, could I fly near it/over it to film?

When in doubt contact your local FSDO first and find out if they can give some guidance at least from the Federal level.

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54