DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom 4 Pro or Mavic 2 Pro for mapping.

Phito11

Reactions
Hi everybody,

I just joined here and just passed my Part 107. I live in the east coast of the U.S. and I am interested in starting a business providing real estate photography, arial mapping, and 3D imaging, eventually moving into thermal imaging.
My question is since I'm just starting out, in your professional experience which drone do you suggest for real estate photography, mapping and 3D imaging, the Mavic 2 Pro or the Phantom 4 Pro?
I know that I probably will not be able to do the thermal part with the MP2 but it is a service I plan on offering after a while. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum,

to answer your question, go for the P4P. It'll serve you well in

real estate photography, arial mapping, and 3D imaging,

For the thermal part, you will need anyhow a second airframe capable of carrying a FLIR sensor.
There is no such drone, a 'jack of all trades', doing everything perfect in this price range you are looking right now.

The next step could be a Matrice 600 (or M200 series) which can be equipped with all kind of sensors or cameras. But get your business rolling firsthand.

Good luck.

Reactions: PhantomFandom
You’ll need the precision of the Phantom’s mechanical shutter for mapping but it might be difficult finding a new one for sale. DJI has discontinued the Phantom product line except for the P4 RTK which is horrendously expensive.

The DJI Mavic 2 Dual Enterprise has thermal imaging capability but as mentioned above it would be your second drone.

Reactions: Former Member
Hi everybody,

I just joined here and just passed my Part 107. I live in the east coast of the U.S. and I am interested in starting a business providing real estate photography, arial mapping, and 3D imaging, eventually moving into thermal imaging.
My question is since I'm just starting out, in your professional experience which drone do you suggest for real estate photography, mapping and 3D imaging, the Mavic 2 Pro or the Phantom 4 Pro?
I know that I probably will not be able to do the thermal part with the MP2 but it is a service I plan on offering after a while. Thank you.

It all depends upon how serious you are. Mavic 2s and Phantom 4s are high end consumer products as well as entry level professional tools, offering good professional level results for the price.

Some other questions to think about are what level of detail do you need to capture? Stills or video? Slow motion or other special effects work? Range and endurance needs? Flight in adverse or hazardous environments ie chemicals, heat, strong EM fields, etc?

The Mavic 2 Enterprise sUAS is a good system, both as a starter kit as well as for use in confined spaces due to its small footprint in flight and portability. It can perform a variety of tasks very well, offers excellent (though not top-of-the-line) optics, is speedy, nimble and offers excellent endurance.

That being said, some pros like the Phantom IV Pro better for mapping due to its manual shutter and non-warped periphery of its images (this issue has been largely resolved in the Mavic 2s with additional firmware upgrades since that UAV was released).

If you have extensive UAV flying experience as well as can forecast a fairly large cash flow for your business with the use of high end UAVs, buying an Inspire or Matrice aircraft may be the better option. Keep in mind that you are looking at $6000 - >$20000, depending on the optics and kit that you buy with those aircraft, but they are both top of the line with the additional advantage of being able to change out sensor payloads tailored for specific operations.

In my opinion, the Inspire or Matrice would probably be overkill for mapping or aerial surveying operations and the M2E or P4P will do just fine and cost a lot less. The Inspire or Matrice could - and I do stress COULD - offer some benefit for high end real estate filming, though, if your client is just going to upload the footage onto YouTube or similar streaming video platform, this erodes virtually all the benefits of buying one of these high end aircraft. Most of the video improvement for such a situation could be done post production in Premiere or similar video editing software.

Those are just my thoughts......

You’ll need the precision of the Phantom’s mechanical shutter for mapping but it might be difficult finding a new one for sale. DJI has discontinued the Phantom product line except for the P4 RTK which is horrendously expensive.

The DJI Mavic 2 Dual Enterprise has thermal imaging capability but as mentioned above it would be your second drone.

They are over 5K!!!

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. As a follow up question, since the P4P is no longer available, are there alternatives to DJI that you would recommend at a price point below $2K?

Thank you all for your replies, much appreciated. As a follow up question, since the P4P is no longer available, are there alternatives to DJI that you would recommend at a price point below $2K?

Unfortunately, there's nothing out there with a 1-inch sensor to compete with DJI and if you want to seriously compete in the Aerial Mapping industry then the P4's mechanical shutter is a must. Have you asked around the dealers in an effort to find someone who still has stock? You never know your luck.....

Also, keep an eye on the classifieds - there are plenty of recreational drone pilots who may want to sell their Phantoms now that supply is tight. A lot of people now prefer the portability of the Mavics.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
čikuli