DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom 4 Pro+ pilot now getting a Mini 2

African wildlife

Reactions
Hi everyone. I've been part of the PhantomPilots forum for the past few years. I waited until the P4P+ had been out for a few months, with the few initial problems sorted, then got one for professional filming. It's a great drone that's never let us down. We've had no problems whatsoever carrying it in a backpack wherever necessary, together with other equipment, usually in remote locations - especially at our huge nature reserve in South Africa, but also in the southwestern USA. (We're UK based.)

I never thought we'd be getting a Mavic drone. But the Mini 2 has convinced us to get one as a very lightweight and portable addition, which we'll be doing in the next week or so (combo). The video quality seems to be good enough and the step up from the Mini 1 to the Mini 2 was a game changer. The low price is also a deal clincher.

I'm going to miss the integrated screen with the controller of the P4P+ which is superb and extremely bright.

I appreciate the camera sensor is smaller, but too many people get overly-obsessed with equipment. The main qualities needed for successful filming and photography remain true, no matter what is used on the ground or up in the air: great composition and accurate exposure - plus the all-important idea for the project.

With the P4P+, I always use a ND/PL filter as I film at 24 fps and shoot with a 1/50th shutter speed for motion blur. That said, much to my own surprise, we won't be initially getting a ND/PL filter kit - as I'm not sure, in this instance, with this drone, that it's necessary. I almost always fly during the golden hours and almost never during the brighter midday hours. For what we'll be using the Mini 2 for, filming at a strict shutter speed of double the fps isn't necessary.

I'd appreciate hearing from anyone using a Mini 2 - and especially from anyone who has used a P4P or P4P+ as a comparison.

Meanwhile, Merry Christmas to you all wherever you are in the world.

Thanks for the welcome.

It'll definitely be a Mini 2 rather than an Air 2, although I appreciate the comment. I've looked at lots of comparison footage and the difference in quality seems negligible. New UK regulations will favour the Mini 2.

We've had some good discussions in the past (although not recently), Phantomrain, on the PhantomPilots forum. We've got a new film project coming up where we considered landing on water - and, yes, I've seen the orange floats - but decided it wasn't actually needed. We're big SpaceX fans so we joked about using a remote controlled boat, adapted with a landing platform, complete with X-marks-the-spot, and we'd have called the drone boat Of Course I Still Love You (Mini) in honour of SpaceX.

The first thing you will like is the size of the whole package... I always dreaded carting around my Phantom... the setup of putting the props on and getting the controller/ipad all situated... it wasn't hard but still a chore... with the mini2 you just wip it out and its ready to go.. big change again is the size of everything... you can store the mini in the glove compartment in your car and you will always have a drone ready to fly.... one slight negative is the wind resistance you are used to with the Phantom... with the mini depending on the wind it can lean to one side with wind... but not a huge problem... just watch the cross winds...

Thanks for the welcome.

It'll definitely be a Mini 2 rather than an Air 2, although I appreciate the comment. I've looked at lots of comparison footage and the difference in quality seems negligible. New UK regulations will favour the Mini 2.

We've had some good discussions in the past (although not recently), Phantomrain, on the PhantomPilots forum. We've got a new film project coming up where we considered landing on water - and, yes, I've seen the orange floats - but decided it wasn't actually needed. We're big SpaceX fans so we joked about using a remote controlled boat, adapted with a landing platform, complete with X-marks-the-spot, and we'd have called the drone boat Of Course I Still Love You (Mini) in honour of SpaceX.

You have some great ideas, love the idea of landing on the water with the Remote Boat. comparing the Space x to the DJI tech of landing and even is you miss the Platform the Rescue Jacket would save you. Space X tribute very cool.

We dont make orange floats, but we do make the Rescue Jacket for Mini 2 , its not on the website yet as we just released them;

Here is the link to that :

Thank you for the kind welcomes. Being British, we love the natural landscapes of the southwestern USA.

Dixter: Your warning of crosswinds is much appreciated. We were already thinking that we'd need to be extra careful of headwind when returning to home. The P4P is great in wind and we appreciate that the Mini 2 will have less tolerance.

Mini 2 arrived today. Carefully unboxed etc. I charged the batteries and controller, registered, turned it on indoors, but there was a "gimbal stuck" message. This message still remained after turning off and back on a few times. I tried to recalibrate the gimbal (auto), but that didn't move from 0% so probably didn't begin. When the drone is powered on, the gimbal moves around in the various positions. And, yes, I'd obviously first removed the gimbal cover. I'd appreciate any advice from anyone, hoping that it doesn't immediately need to be returned.

Reactions: Thomas B
Welcome to Mavic Pilots!

Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica