DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phantom flying courses, anyone done one?

Thanks for this though I note this too forgets to calibrate the compass, which I think is essential prior to flight, also antennae extended 45 degrees. I'm also a bit confused, some tutorials say turn the drone on first, Then the controller, others the controller then the drone. What's the official one? I have yet to unpack it, put it together, charge things, look at the simulator and read the manual. I'm waiting to get good, dry, low wind weather, the weekend off work, and absolutely everything together, with a landing pad and good weather about the only things I'm now left waiting for, both expected by Saturday morning.

turn on:

controller

mavic

plug in cable to monitor

-----

turn off:

mavic

controller

----

way to think of it is always having the controller, ready and controlling the aircraft

Reactions: FL1H1
Thanks for this though I note this too forgets to calibrate the compass, which I think is essential prior to flight...
You only need to calibrate the compass if the app tells you to. Just make sure there is nothing metallic where you plan to launch from (including steel in concrete).
also antennae extended 45 degrees...
The 45 degrees thing is a good starting point. It assumes you will be holding the remote at 45 degrees to the ground which puts the antennas at 90 degrees to the horizon. What you want to do is have the flat side of the antennas facing the Mavic for maximum send and receive strength.
... I'm also a bit confused, some tutorials say turn the drone on first, Then the controller, others the controller then the drone. What's the official one?...
I don't know about "official" order of events, but I do it like tiparoch does; remote controller, Mavic, then phone/tablet with shutdown in reverse order. I don't even unpack my tablet until I have the RC and Mavic turned on. Then, by the time Go 4 is booted up the Mavic has found enough satellites to be in GPS mode.

hey mate.... take the thing out of the package and starting learning about it....!!! :---)
I thought today...what you need is a Tello, learn how to fly . The controls are basically the same...and easy to fly indoors... This is your homework....

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ryze-Tello...?ie=UTF8&qid=1524842276&sr=8-1&keywords=Tello
I got myself a Tello, to do exactly that. Shame is, I only received it Monday after a beautiful wind free hot sunny weekend, and I've had a day of strong winds, bit of thunder and lightning and rain ever since with one nice calm dry day but I was at work. Its forecast to clear up Saturday morning. I also now have all I need save for a landing pad I'm still waiting for but that's not a big deal. Ive just picked up a mini ipad 4 so now it's all going to get unpacked this evening, charged up and set up and I hope to give it a little run in beginner mode in the morning.

Thanks for your help. Here you go, all unpacked, just waiting for the final battery to charge up. Actually, I was initially a bit disappointed, thought it came with three batteries. Ah ha, couple more tucked away
IMG_20180427_234425_BURST001_COVER.jpg

Reactions: tiparoch
Well done!
Can I ask a question? The connectors between the controller and phone look very short to me, and much to my irritation, an order a for mini ipad 4 failed to arrive at the store. Enquiries revealed the order hadn't been sent, and I got told I'd have to wait till Tuesday so I cancelled it and ordered through our highly reliable John Lewis who will it have it for me to collect tomorrow but the leads?? Are they long enough for a mini ipad? And if not what EXACTLY do I need to find or order. I ask because nowadays no matter what I ask for, I always find there's 55 different types and I spend an hour or at two if not longer, trying to find out exactly what I need. Thanks

Heya. Cable needs to be 20 cm. One end ios for ipad and the other usb for Mavic controller.

There are short cables included but are basically for a cellphone. Go to electronics or pc shop..
Should be easy easy to find.

P.s. fly your Tello inside!
Thanks for that. I have flown it inside but indoors it's a little noisy, I finish work late at night and well, the Mrs ain't so keen on it so I flew it a bit in a double garage parking the cars outside, interesting if hard to describe it as exciting

Thanks for that. I have flown it inside but indoors it's a little noisy, I finish work late at night and well, the Mrs ain't so keen on it so I flew it a bit in a double garage parking the cars outside, interesting if hard to describe it as exciting

Yeah l hear you.it is noisy to be sure. l have the same issue at home.

Can I ask a question? The connectors between the controller and phone look very short to me, and much to my irritation, an order a for mini ipad 4 failed to arrive at the store. Enquiries revealed the order hadn't been sent, and I got told I'd have to wait till Tuesday so I cancelled it and ordered through our highly reliable John Lewis who will it have it for me to collect tomorrow but the leads?? Are they long enough for a mini ipad? And if not what EXACTLY do I need to find or order. I ask because nowadays no matter what I ask for, I always find there's 55 different types and I spend an hour or at two if not longer, trying to find out exactly what I need. Thanks

Not to belabor the issue but, that is a good reason to take everything out and plug it in at home, making sure you have all the bits and bobs and things are working. I do that before a big trip.
Also turning things on at home you will know if you have the current firmware etc. Having to update in the field is no fun. Also finding out you an issue requiring a pc and cant take off, . . .

Not to belabor the issue but, that is a good reason to take everything out and plug it in at home, making sure you have all the bits and bobs and things are working. I do that before a big trip.
Also turning things on at home you will know if you have the current firmware etc. Having to update in the field is no fun. Also finding out you an issue requiring a pc and cant take off, . . .
No worries, thanks for that. I'll be doing all that at home I can assure you. There is a nice area well literally right opposite where I live but much as it must be 500ft x 1000ft, it's very popular with dog walkers, surrounded by gardens and large, fairly expensive houses. Not too sure it's the best place when our drone code says stay 150ft from houses though. Also the weather, light rain, is now forecast to linger into the afternoon so I think I might wait till tomorrow, just set it all up today, have a look at the simulator then try it in a huge area of open land tomorrow. An area of land that isnt really an official park but for reasons unknown, never got built on. Part of a now deserted country estate turned largely into a public golf course, with fields and some parts official parkland. Has lakes, a river, and the whole lot must cover close to maybe 4 Square miles??? Anyway, its sure big enough. You're on You Tube I believe?? Yeah, I did sub. Good videos.

PS. If this is light rain, I hate to think what heavy is. Well, it's very steady so come what may, it wasn't getting flown today. I got the cable.

Last edited:
No worries, thanks for that. I'll be doing all that at home I can assure you. There is a nice area well literally right opposite where I live but much as it must be 500ft x 1000ft, it's very popular with dog walkers, surrounded by gardens and large, fairly expensive houses. Not too sure it's the best place when our drone code says stay 150ft from houses though. Also the weather, light rain, is now forecast to linger into the afternoon so I think I might wait till tomorrow, just set it all up today, have a look at the simulator then try it in a huge area of open land tomorrow. An area of land that isnt really an official park but for reasons unknown, never got built on. Part of a now deserted country estate turned largely into a public golf course, with fields and some parts official parkland. Has lakes, a river, and the whole lot must cover close to maybe 4 Square miles??? Anyway, its sure big enough. You're on You Tube I believe?? Yeah, I did sub. Good videos.

PS. If this is light rain, I hate to think what heavy is. Well, it's very steady so come what may, it wasn't getting flown today. I got the cable.
OK, if only for one night and a day, today Sunday, it has finally stopped raining. DJI has all updated, took a while, and I hope to fly this morning for the very first time. Pic taken outside my front door yesterday, Saturday. And to think, previous weekend we had 80 degrees! IMG_20180428_133311.jpeg

forecast to clear up after a few days of high winds

From where I sit, high winds contribute to a lot of accidents / and lost AC. A couple of suggestions for flying.
SCREEN SHOTS ARE NOT ALL FROM THE SAME DAY

Weather Bug as my non flying weather app. It gives me wind, direction and weather radar. Weather Bug     .png

For wind, I like UAV Forecast. It gives me wind speed at ground level, wind speed profile to elevations ,
Wind speed gust to elevations and Kp value. UAV - ground - Good     .png UAV - ground - No Fly 1     .png UAV - profile - mixed     .png

For looking at a graphic of wind pattern I like Ventusky. Today it is relay weird here, normally it is mostly
straight line but today it is slow wind speed swirling. A static picture isn't nearly as impressive. Ventusky - gust 2     .png Ventusky - gust 3     .png Ventusky - gust 1     .png
B4UFly Want to see what helipads, grass strips or airports are around if you are in a new area. B4UFly     .png

From where I sit, high winds contribute to a lot of accidents / and lost AC. A couple of suggestions for flying.
SCREEN SHOTS ARE NOT ALL FROM THE SAME DAY

Weather Bug as my non flying weather app. It gives me wind, direction and weather radar. View attachment 37134

For wind, I like UAV Forecast. It gives me wind speed at ground level, wind speed profile to elevations ,
Wind speed gust to elevations and Kp value. View attachment 37135 View attachment 37136 View attachment 37137

For looking at a graphic of wind pattern I like Ventusky. Today it is relay weird here, normally it is mostly
straight line but today it is slow wind speed swirling. A static picture isn't nearly as impressive. View attachment 37141 View attachment 37138 View attachment 37140
B4UFly Want to see what helipads, grass strips or airports are around if you are in a new area. View attachment 37142

Thanks for that - have B4UFly, NATS drone assist, Drone Zones, I also having a good hiking app for public paths which I actually find really good. I could do with a good weather map. It probably makes a big difference taking off in a shallow valley in a field surrounded by trees but once my drones up in the air so far, it looks like its struggling high up in the wind. Only practising flying at present, I've been inclined to just go fly around midday but have noticed the winds pick up from around 0900 to die down again around 1600 so I've thought it might be best to start flying early with few around, and ideally, NO WIND!!!!

Thanks for that - have B4UFly, NATS drone assist, Drone Zones, I also having a good hiking app for public paths which I actually find really good. I could do with a good weather map. It probably makes a big difference taking off in a shallow valley in a field surrounded by trees but once my drones up in the air so far, it looks like its struggling high up in the wind. Only practising flying at present, I've been inclined to just go fly around midday but have noticed the winds pick up from around 0900 to die down again around 1600 so I've thought it might be best to start flying early with few around, and ideally, NO WIND!!!!

I'm not in the U.K. , but same hemisphere, I have found that early, or sort of early a.m. seems to be quite good also as you said, pre twilight. The rough winds are certainly shaking the darling buds of May here. Things will get better soon.

I'm not in the U.K. , but same hemisphere, I have found that early, or sort of early a.m. seems to be quite good also as you said, pre twilight. The rough winds are certainly shaking the darling buds of May here. Things will get better soon.

Taken today whilst filming parts of the Castle Ashby estate and the surrounding fields of yellow rape seed, very early in the morning, around 0600 a little after sunrise, using a Nikon D7500. Beautiful, little morning mist, no wind, clear blue sky. One thing about the UK, we have so much to film and photograph within a 45 minute drive no matter where we live. Shame I just missed the swans who are responsible for the ripples.
IMG_0016.JPG

Taken today whilst filming parts of the Castle Ashby estate and the surrounding fields of yellow rape seed, very early in the morning, around 0600 a little after sunrise, using a Nikon D7500. Beautiful, little morning mist, no wind, clear blue sky. One thing about the UK, we have so much to film and photograph within a 45 minute drive no matter where we live. Shame I just missed the swans who are responsible for the ripples.
View attachment 37397
great! thanks!

Reactions: FL1H1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661