DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone GPS and RTH Questions

Jgruberman

Reactions
Hello, I have two questions as they pertain to GPS and the RTH feature. I have a Mavic Air 2 and using Samsung Galaxy S20+.

1. I noticed that when I take off from my landing pad and start to fly away from the position, I get some sort of notice saying something about the RTH Position updated or something along those lines. Then when I try to RTH, the drone goes to a spot nearby me, the other day it tried to land on my roof. Am I not setting the RTH properly, or am I somehow changing it mid-flight?

2. Still position related, I was considering using a small tablet with my controller to get a bigger screen to see what's going on but noticed there was a "No GPS" symbol on the screen. Is that indicative of the drone not having GPS or the actual tablet? I was inside at the time I observed this, for what it's worth. If it's for the tablet, does my controller screen(phone tablet etc) need to be GPS enabled?

Hello, I have two questions as they pertain to GPS and the RTH feature. I have a Mavic Air 2 and using Samsung Galaxy S20+.

1. I noticed that when I take off from my landing pad and start to fly away from the position, I get some sort of notice saying something about the RTH Position updated or something along those lines. Then when I try to RTH, the drone goes to a spot nearby me, the other day it tried to land on my roof. Am I not setting the RTH properly, or am I somehow changing it mid-flight?

2. Still position related, I was considering using a small tablet with my controller to get a bigger screen to see what's going on but noticed there was a "No GPS" symbol on the screen. Is that indicative of the drone not having GPS or the actual tablet? I was inside at the time I observed this, for what it's worth. If it's for the tablet, does my controller screen(phone tablet etc) need to be GPS enabled?
I'll answer your first question. You are taking off and flying before the drone has locked onto satellites and set a home point, which is not a good idea as the home point is set somewhere along your flight path.

The best method is to wait on the landing pad until you get the RTH position set message or, as I do hand launching, fly it 10' up and away from me and wait for RTH to be set before flying a mission. If you fly around before RTH is set you don't know exactly where it will land as the RTH is set at some point along the flight path which could be disastrous if you lost RC signal.

Hope this helps,
Cheers!

I find that the drone often sets or resets the homepoint just after take off, others may say I am wrong but it is the impression I have.
However, I do often take off WITHOUT the home point being set ( I have to) and when that happens the drone WILL set the homepoint to wherever it is when it first gets sufficient satellites to satisify its 'need'. Because of this it is now habit for me to test where the homepoint has been set to, by flying out a short, but acceptable distance, and then triggering an RTH. If the homepoint proves unacceptable I bring the drone overhead and reset the homepoint to the drone's position (Uses the drone's GPS).
If, in such cirsumstances, I want to use precision landing I will land the drone, let the motors stop and then immediately restart the motors and take off, straight up to above 7m. There seems to be a bit of lag in the drone losing satellites and a quick landing, motor stop and take off is normally quick enough for the drone to keep the necessary number of satlellites.

With regard to question 2, the drone uses ITS OWN GPS and the indicator for that is likely to be at the top of the screen, if that is red then the drone has insufficient satellites.
The 'phone's' GPS is solely used to map the position of the phone, and by extension the controller. The drone does not use it nor does the drone need it.
HOWEVER if the 'phone' has no GPS then you WILL NOT be able to reset the Homepoint to "the controller's position", you might want to do that if you were on a boat or moving about etc..
You could however reset the homepoint to a point in the flight's / App's map (if there is a map showing /available), BUT even at greatest zoom-in picking a point on the map is not very accurate. I tried it with my Mavic Mini and the 'error' was 20 to 30 ft, enough to put the MM into a tree if I had let it.
I forget how the app indicates that the phone has no GPS, it used to be a display in the centre bottom of the screen went red or something but it became so frequent that the app had no location information that I no longer pay attention to it and can't remember if the indication has changed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. These both help. How do I manually tell the drone to set its (or the controllers) home point?

Thank you. These both help. How do I manually tell the drone to set its (or the controllers) home point?
In DJIFly app, upper right corner of the screen, hit the 3 dots, which brings up the settings screen. It should be the 1st screen, about 4 down.

Cheers!

Reactions: Jgruberman
There is no need to.
Your drone sets its homepoint when it first gets good GPS location data.
The controller has no home point as it doesn't ever need to RTH to anywhere.

2. Still position related, I was considering using a small tablet with my controller to get a bigger screen to see what's going on but noticed there was a "No GPS" symbol on the screen. Is that indicative of the drone not having GPS or the actual tablet?
That would be the tablet not having GPS.
I was inside at the time I observed this, for what it's worth. If it's for the tablet, does my controller screen(phone tablet etc) need to be GPS enabled?
Perhaps the lack of GPS was because you were indoors, or it might be that the tablet doesn't have a GPS receiver.
But the only GPS receiver that matters is the one in your drone.
You can fly perfectly well without GPS in the tablet.

That would be the tablet not having GPS.

Perhaps the lack of GPS was because you were indoors, or it might be that the tablet doesn't have a GPS receiver.
But the only GPS receiver that matters is the one in your drone.
You can fly perfectly well without GPS in the tablet.

So then I take it there is no issue with using a small tablet as a screen instead of my phone? I won't lose any functionality?

Reactions: tlswift58
That's perfect. I have an 8" just sitting around, not sure if it is capable of handling a "major load" from the app though. I assume there is a large amount of data going through that cable between the controller and device. I have a Galaxy Tab A7 if anyone has any experience with using one with theirs...

Cannot stress or highly recommend enough - YouTube Video on the drone. Esp the basics - as you are flying not knowing them. We all start somewhere, so you are not alone in this great drone flying experience. Most of the videos are awesome and provide the needed info you need to fly as a beginner. Some are not - esp the ones who say you can fly 1-5 miles out - as that is what DJI says the drone can do. Nope - most countries including the USA have strict drone flying rules and going out of Visual Line of Sight of the drone by the pilot is verboten.

The FAA has a test that ALL drone pilots must complete called the TRUST EXAM. The test is easy and provides a lot of needed flying info every drone pilot in the US needs to fly. You'll get a certificate that you the pilot have to have when out flying the drone.

I have a Lenovo M10 FHD tablet and it is wi-fi only; but does everything I need it to do. You'll need a holder for it and Skyreat makes a really good one. Also a longer cable from RC to tablet should be added as well. I only need / use the wi-fi on the tablet when I'm home and needing to update the FlyApp or drone firmware - much faster than by phone cell signals. Otherwise, it has zero connection to cell service or Internet.

Cannot stress or highly recommend enough - YouTube Video on the drone. Esp the basics - as you are flying not knowing them. We all start somewhere, so you are not alone in this great drone flying experience. Most of the videos are awesome and provide the needed info you need to fly as a beginner. Some are not - esp the ones who say you can fly 1-5 miles out - as that is what DJI says the drone can do. Nope - most countries including the USA have strict drone flying rules and going out of Visual Line of Sight of the drone by the pilot is verboten.

The FAA has a test that ALL drone pilots must complete called the TRUST EXAM. The test is easy and provides a lot of needed flying info every drone pilot in the US needs to fly. You'll get a certificate that you the pilot have to have when out flying the drone.

I have a Lenovo M10 FHD tablet and it is wi-fi only; but does everything I need it to do. You'll need a holder for it and Skyreat makes a really good one. Also a longer cable from RC to tablet should be added as well. I only need / use the wi-fi on the tablet when I'm home and needing to update the FlyApp or drone firmware - much faster than by phone cell signals. Otherwise, it has zero connection to cell service or Internet.
I've already completed the TRUST exam, as it was required for me to register as a Recreational Pilot. I am planning on starting to study for the Part 107 as well, just to have it.

Are there are YouTube videos that you recommend, or perhaps a content creator/channel that would be good to start with? I am completely on board with watching videos how to get started, but would feel more confident knowing I was given a solid ground to start walking/learning on.

That's perfect. I have an 8" just sitting around, not sure if it is capable of handling a "major load" from the app though. I assume there is a large amount of data going through that cable between the controller and device. I have a Galaxy Tab A7 if anyone has any experience with using one with theirs...
Go to the DJI website. They have a list of usable tablets / phones that will work. Some others may; but typically if you can load the FlyApp on a phone / tablet and it OPENS - then it will work on that device. I only use the FlyApp on my tablet. I also clear data every so often as it will build up over time and slow things down.

There is only one issue having a non cell service device won't work and that is flying in a restricted area or a DJI "geofence" zone that requires a connection to the Internet and DJI (being logged into your account with them) to UNLOCK the drone. No service / no unlock / NO FLY.

Get one of several apps like Aloft, B4UFLY, or UAVForecast to check the area you plan to fly in advance to make sure it is legal to fly. Otherwise, you will need permission and may not even get that - esp in the DFW area with so many airports - esp DFW International. It has a huge zone of NO FLY at all. If you hit a DJI "geofence" zone, you will need your cell phone with service to unlock the drone.

I've already completed the TRUST exam, as it was required for me to register as a Recreational Pilot. I am planning on starting to study for the Part 107 as well, just to have it.

Are there are YouTube videos that you recommend, or perhaps a content creator/channel that would be good to start with? I am completely on board with watching videos how to get started, but would feel more confident knowing I was given a solid ground to start walking/learning on.
Not specifically. Just do a search on YouTube for Beginner Drone (your model). Hundreds of them will pop up.

A lot of people start watching while waiting on their drone to arrive so they can fly right away with some knowledge of the rules and what the functions of the drone are - way too many that you may never ever use. You've passed that point, but no big deal.

Note - flying inside your house is not a great idea, esp with no GPS. The drone will be in what is called ATTI mode and will do a lot of crazy things when least expected. Thus, you may crash the drone and break / damage it or things inside your house. Best to take to backyard / park to do even test / basic flying.

Go to the DJI website. They have a list of usable tablets / phones that will work. Some others may; but typically if you can load the FlyApp on a phone / tablet and it OPENS - then it will work on that device. I only use the FlyApp on my tablet. I also clear data every so often as it will build up over time and slow things down.

There is only one issue having a non cell service device won't work and that is flying in a restricted area or a DJI "geofence" zone that requires a connection to the Internet and DJI (being logged into your account with them) to UNLOCK the drone. No service / no unlock / NO FLY.

Get one of several apps like Aloft, B4UFLY, or UAVForecast to check the area you plan to fly in advance to make sure it is legal to fly. Otherwise, you will need permission and may not even get that - esp in the DFW area with so many airports - esp DFW International. It has a huge zone of NO FLY at all. If you hit a DJI "geofence" zone, you will need your cell phone with service to unlock the drone.

To date, I have only flown after checking my clearance in Aloft. I like that particular app because it shows the difference height clearances based on where I am. I haven't had the drone locked due to being in a No Fly zone yet. Is that an automatic thing? I'm completely fine with it but wanted to know what to be aware of when it happens.

Note - flying inside your house is not a great idea, esp with no GPS. The drone will be in what is called ATTI mode and will do a lot of crazy things when least expected. Thus, you may crash the drone and break / damage it or things inside your house. Best to take to backyard / park to do even test / basic flying.

I don't think I'll ever fly it inside my home, we have several dogs that will either try to attack it or get freaked out by it. The only reason I had it on that particular time was to test the Tablet working and I think to get a video off the drone because I didn't realize that it didn't automatically save it to my phone and I just had a cached "broken file" in my Gallery in place of the video.

How do I manually tell the drone to set its (or the controllers) home point?
Here's a really good video describing all the various features of the map and compass displays. At 8:29 he explains how to get to the "Update Home Point" menu to reset your Home Point by dragging it to any desired location on the map.

There are two more options that he doesn't mention. At 9:00 you can see two icons at the top right of the "Update Home Point" map. The aircraft shaped icon lets you set a new Home Point to the aircraft's current location. The controller shaped icon sets the Home Point to the current location of your controller (if your app device is GPS enabled).

If your tablet warns “cpu overload” be sure that all but FLY app are disabled. If it continues, you will need a more powerful tablet. The latest FLY update made my iPad mini 4 obsolete. Still works with the Go4 app.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78