DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone GPS and RTH Questions

flying inside your house is not a great idea, esp with no GPS. The drone will be in what is called ATTI mode and will do a lot of crazy things when least expected.
I fly my Spark in the house all the time using only the phone as a controller. My house is well lit and surprisingly I sometimes have satellite coverage. I have lots of video's of my dogs sleeping... or maybe just pretending that they're not witness to such stupidity.

Reactions: JDerrick
I don't think I'll ever fly it inside my home, we have several dogs that will either try to attack it or get freaked out by it. The only reason I had it on that particular time was to test the Tablet working and I think to get a video off the drone because I didn't realize that it didn't automatically save it to my phone and I just had a cached "broken file" in my Gallery in place of the video.
Always good to check for updates at the house on wi-fi, which is what I do. I can do it right outside my back porch as my wi-fi coverage is good there too.

Unless you live / fly near a bunch of tall bldgs in Dallas - should be easy to get enough sat signal for Homepoint / RTH set while still on ground or right at take-off height. May take up to a minute for it to happen; but best to wait so you know where the RTH / homepoint is; instead of jetting off and the RTH be somewhere else. I don't rely on RTH at all, but many people like it as they can do something else as the drone returns for flight. I'd suggest getting used to flying the drone and not relying on RTH, but as a safety feature - and that depends on your settings in the FlyApp. Wrong settings can end in disaster, so make sure you set those properly.

There is a world of difference between a phone and a tablet. Yes, far more bulky / awkward; but when I can see what the drone sees far better - worth that. If you got the extra cash - look at the Triptek tablet, as the folks here that have them - swear by them. Very good lighting compared to other tablets (looking for "nits" and the higher the better), but it does come with a price too.

Aloft is a good app. I use UAVForecast mainly for weather and Fly / No Fly weather, but it has maps too with zones except DJI's "geofence" system - which most of us don't comprehend as no real rhyme or reason for some of the lock outs. And yes, if the system is locked and you're not connected into your account to approve the flight - the drone will not fly at all. Looking ahead and if you see a restricted zone - get approval before hand and make sure to put that into your drone via your DJI account so the drone will take-off.

Last, you may want to create a checklist of before and possibly after flight things to do - just to make sure all ducks in a row. Easy to forget things to do and that may not end well.

Should be some great flying in the area - like Hunt Bridge / Trinity River area and more.

There is no need to.
Your drone sets its homepoint when it first gets good GPS location data.
The controller has no home point as it doesn't ever need to RTH to anywhere.
Under controlled conditions, I sometimes need to move inside a vehicle and fly my drone to get footage. It is very important to update the drone's home point from time to time to prevent it from flying back to the original home point. A bit of a pain if you are 7km down the road...

Under controlled conditions, I sometimes need to move inside a vehicle and fly my drone to get footage. It is very important to update the drone's home point from time to time to prevent it from flying back to the original home point. A bit of a pain if you are 7km down the road...
It should be easy if you use the RTH update function and the option to update to controller location?

Reactions: Francoisvdm
The OP was asking >> How do I manually tell the drone to set its (or the controllers) home point?
... which is a different thing from resetting the homepoint to a different location.

Under normal circumstances, there is no need to set the drone's homepoint as it does that automatically.

Reactions: Francoisvdm
And hopefully not driving and flying the drone at the same time!

I think @Meta4 was implying that you the pilot are stationary and the drone "should" get RTH / homepoint at that location. If the drone does not get HP before zooming off - then you will need to reset the HP if you want RTH to bring the drone back to your location.

Your comment works on same plain for people on boats / etc that are constantly moving and an initial HP is not a good thing; so resetting it along the way is a must.

RTH is both good and bad. Good should the drone lose contact and need to come back near you to hopefully reconnect and land properly. Bad, in that if you are flying low around obstacles like trees, power lines, etc - RTH may actually cause the drone to crash. Probably rare, but where I fly under tree canopies, power lines, etc - RTH and it's settings to go up to 300 feet would not be ideal. Yes, it may also retrace some of its last path - yet that does not ensure the drone will not make contact along the way. I really prefer to not use RTH and 99% of time don't / won't.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu