DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone vs Tablet

Eagle430

Reactions
I am flying my mavic 2 pro using an android phone (Xiaomi Redmi 7 pro ) , the phone has 4gb ram and octacore processor , i didn't had any issues so far and the live video runs smoothly
However i find it a bit tight and cramped , I prefer something bigger to mount on the controller.

I don't know if I should go for a bigger monitor -newer mobile phone or an 8inch tablet since i don't want something too big. The benefit with using a tablet is that its also a lot more wider than any phone so when using it in a horizontal position as its mounted on the controller you have both a wider and lengthier screen. I am using my drone mostly to take photos so i think a tablet will be more usefull so that i can preview the photos better and also see the details on my framing.

However i wanted to ask if compared to android phones if the tablet's gps signals are weaker or if there are any disadvantages on using a tablet instead of a phone?

However i wanted to ask if compared to android phones if the tablet's gps signals are weaker or if there are any disadvantages on using a tablet instead of a phone?
An 8" tablet is just perfect for me, giving a good view of the image and all the data on the screen
The GPS receiver in the tablet will be just as good as the one in your phone.
But what does that matter?
Unless you are trying to reset your homepoint, you won't be using the GPS from the tablet anyway.

An 8" tablet is just perfect for me, giving a good view of the image and all the data on the screen
The GPS receiver in the tablet will be just as good as the one in your phone.
But what does that matter?
Unless you are trying to reset your homepoint, you won't be using the GPS from the tablet anyway.
What tablet are you using?

I am flying my mavic 2 pro using an android phone (Xiaomi Redmi 7 pro ) , the phone has 4gb ram and octacore processor , i didn't had any issues so far and the live video runs smoothly
However i find it a bit tight and cramped , I prefer something bigger to mount on the controller.

I don't know if I should go for a bigger monitor -newer mobile phone or an 8inch tablet since i don't want something too big. The benefit with using a tablet is that its also a lot more wider than any phone so when using it in a horizontal position as its mounted on the controller you have both a wider and lengthier screen. I am using my drone mostly to take photos so i think a tablet will be more usefull so that i can preview the photos better and also see the details on my framing.

I cannot answer regarding anything Android since I am and Apple user. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a nice 9.5 inch tablet is great to use for visualization.iPad in Skyreat Holder.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgiPad on Skyreat Stand.jpgSkyreat-holder-side viewe.jpg

I bought a used iPad Mini 2 for $50, and couldn't be happier. It strikes a great balance between screen size and balance. Bigger iPads need a very secure mount because of the weight and moment-arm issues.

I bought a used iPad Mini 2 for $50, and couldn't be happier. It strikes a great balance between screen size and balance. Bigger iPads need a very secure mount because of the weight and moment-arm issues.
I looove my 9 1/2 inch iPad and it balances well with the Skyreat holder

Reactions: Len750
I love my my Mini 4 tablet ,and both of my MP's work well together. Each to his own, looking at the new Mini 5 tablet next.

Reactions: FranticPlus
Although I'm a loyal Android user, I fly with the iPad Mini 5, which has, in my opinion, the perfect size. If you don't pre-load your maps and your tablet is WiFi only, activate the phone's hotspot. I also have an old Nexus 9 tablet that works very well, but it is bigger and the Mini's size hits the sweet spot.

Reactions: LeeHene
I wanted something bigger than a phone and looked at the 8in tablets but settled on a 10in Galaxy Tab S3 which I was concerned would be too hefty for the compact Mavic but I'm really pleased with it. I think the larger screen works well with the cluttered DJI interface and also it's more useful for me in general since it's a good bit bigger than my phone.

I love my 8 inch tablet. GPS signals are not affected by the type of phone or tablet you use. My tablet is a Lenovo. However, I find myself using my 6.9 inch phone because it has an AMOLED screen, AM-OLED screens are the brightest displays available, I think, unless someone knows something I don't. Even though my Lenovo is bigger , the brighter smaller OLED phone gives a better picture for preview. The Tablet is of better use on cloudy or darker days, where there is no sun to cause apparent brightness reduction. MY Lenovo doesn't have an OLED display. Next tablet I get, it will be one with an AMOLED or SAMOLED display. Samsung makes the SAMOLED display, it'san even brighter OLED screen. It's call an SAMOLEDtm display. S stands for Samsung, tm stands for trademark. Samsung devised a way to make AMOLED displays even brighter.

Last edited:
Reactions: jpabello

hi , i am using Huawei Mediapad T3 , its working fine , the advantage i see is 4 speakers for louder cautions and bigger screen, it has 4 GB RAM , enough for the job , avoid using any other app on it , as mine is exclusively for my drone, as far as GPS is concerned it works great, not a single error so far .

Reactions: Eagle430
I love my 8 inch tablet. GPS signals are not affected by the type of phone or tablet you use. My tablet is a Lenovo. However, I find myself using my 6.9 inch phone because it has an AMOLED screen, AM-OLED screens are the brightest displays available, I think, unless someone knows something I don't. Even though my Lenovo is bigger , the brighter smaller OLED phone gives a better picture for preview. The Tablet is of better use on cloudy or darker days, where there is no sun to cause apparent brightness reduction. MY Lenovo doesn't have an OLED display. Next tablet I get, it will be one with an AMOLED or SAMOLED display. Samsung makes the SAMOLED display, it'san even brighter OLED screen. It's call an SAMOLEDtm display. S stands for Samsung, tm stands for trademark. Samsung devised a way to make AMOLED displays even brighter.
Unless that screen is brighter than 2,200nits then it is not the brightest screen out there. I use a 7 inch Feelworld monitor and it is an amazing 2,200nits of brightness and I believe this Feelworld is the brightest monitor/screen on the market today. It is cheap too at around $245 new.

I use it with my Mavic 2 Pro and a smart controller. I use the monitor for viewing what mu camera is showing and the SC for all the details about the flight and controls for doing anything else with the drone. Although I could have it mirror the SC screen, I have a mount that fits underneath the SC and holds the monitor behind and above the SC screen, so I can easily see both.

In my mind, there is no better combination because the 7 inch screen is just big enough for a great image from the camera yet it is small enough to manage in my case for the drone. These large 9.5 and 10.5 inch ipad screen is that they are more cumbersome to transport and bulky to handle when everything is connected up, due to its size. Plus the ipads over heat in hot weather flying so are useless and their screens are not very bright in direct sunlight, when compared to the screen of the smart controller or the Feelworld monitor.

Yes there is the Crystal Sky monitors but even these are heavy and bulky and very expensive and not as bright (Even the CS superbright model) as the Feelworld monitor. Check out Feelworld, but be sure you are looking at the 2,200nit 729S version, since Feelworld make a range of monitors.

From your replies I think if I buy a tablet with octacore processor and 3gb ram , android 8.0 or later will still work fine with the DJI go 4 app? I mean there is no need to look for 4gb ram tablets? ( They are more expensive and will mostly use it for flying my drone)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rocko42