DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone vs Tablet

I am flying my mavic 2 pro using an android phone (Xiaomi Redmi 7 pro ) , the phone has 4gb ram and octacore processor , i didn't had any issues so far and the live video runs smoothly
However i find it a bit tight and cramped , I prefer something bigger to mount on the controller.

I don't know if I should go for a bigger monitor -newer mobile phone or an 8inch tablet since i don't want something too big. The benefit with using a tablet is that its also a lot more wider than any phone so when using it in a horizontal position as its mounted on the controller you have both a wider and lengthier screen. I am using my drone mostly to take photos so i think a tablet will be more usefull so that i can preview the photos better and also see the details on my framing.

However i wanted to ask if compared to android phones if the tablet's gps signals are weaker or if there are any disadvantages on using a tablet instead of a phone?

iPad mini works well. Fits the RC perfectly. Phone is more reliable in cold weather. Make sure you have at least 5 or 6 GB free so VIdeo feed runs smoothly.

I am flying my mavic 2 pro using an android phone (Xiaomi Redmi 7 pro ) , the phone has 4gb ram and octacore processor , i didn't had any issues so far and the live video runs smoothly
However i find it a bit tight and cramped , I prefer something bigger to mount on the controller.

I don't know if I should go for a bigger monitor -newer mobile phone or an 8inch tablet since i don't want something too big. The benefit with using a tablet is that its also a lot more wider than any phone so when using it in a horizontal position as its mounted on the controller you have both a wider and lengthier screen. I am using my drone mostly to take photos so i think a tablet will be more usefull so that i can preview the photos better and also see the details on my framing.

However i wanted to ask if compared to android phones if the tablet's gps signals are weaker or if there are any disadvantages on using a tablet instead of a phone?
I use an ipad and could never go back to the phone for the work I do each week. The bigger screen is so much better, espcially the older I get. :)

I use an Ipad Mini 5 with cell service and it is perfect. It's big enough, usually bright enough, light enough, and responsive. I can't use a phone just too small. Just get a holder that positions the Ipad over the controller in a comfortable position. I also use a strap around my neck for long sessions. BTW I also use Litchi app now almost exclusively as you can program it without the drone being on which is really nice and saves the battery

Reactions: streamwhuddle
You have to take other things into account, not just a larger screen. A large screen is great of course, but if you can't see it in the daylight conditions you mostly fly in, due to it not being bright enough, or the fact that it may get too hot in the summer and **** down, then that larger screen area is useless because you won't be able to see anything or it simply wont work when you need it. A larger screen also means more reflections in it, so if it is not bright, in bright sun it will be very difficult to even see, since it may well not be very bright and it will be showing you far more reflections than that smaller phone screen was, that you once used.

Therefore, when choosing a screen, I would say the brightness is the first thing to consider, then the functioning of it, will it easily over heat? Then the cost and how it integrates with what you have. Remember, it could be the best in everything you always wanted in a screen, from size to weight to cost to cool running temps but if you can't really see it in the bright sunlight you usually fly in, it won't be of any use to you.

You have to take other things into account, not just a larger screen. A large screen is great of course, but if you can't see it in the daylight conditions you mostly fly in, due to it not being bright enough, or the fact that it may get too hot in the summer and **** down, then that larger screen area is useless because you won't be able to see anything or it simply wont work when you need it. A larger screen also means more reflections in it, so if it is not bright, in bright sun it will be very difficult to even see, since it may well not be very bright and it will be showing you far more reflections than that smaller phone screen was, that you once used.

Therefore, when choosing a screen, I would say the brightness is the first thing to consider, then the functioning of it, will it easily over heat? Then the cost and how it integrates with what you have. Remember, it could be the best in everything you always wanted in a screen, from size to weight to cost to cool running temps but if you can't really see it in the bright sunlight you usually fly in, it won't be of any use to you.
Remember, you don't really need a device with cell service to use with your DJI drone, it has its own wi-fi.

I originally got an ASUS Nexus tablet 7 for my Phantom 4 and M2P. It worked fine but just needed something larger than 7" screen. I am now using iPad Mini and it works better for me. Would never use a phone for flying my phone. You can pick up refirbished iPad Mini's for a very good price on Amazon and free return if you don't like it. I believe you have 90 days to return as well.

I cannot answer regarding anything Android since I am and Apple user. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that a nice 9.5 inch tablet is great to use for visualization.View attachment 118288View attachment 118289View attachment 118289View attachment 118289View attachment 118290

Just an observation. Looking at your screen and the tape measure... your actual screen is 7.5" the other 1 1/2" is black surround. My Huwawei M5 8" screen is at least the same size as yours, or possibly 1/2" bigger, because it goes almost to the edge. It fits the arms of the Mk1 Air controller... I am considering getting a drone with adjustable aperture, which is why I am looking in on the Pro2 pages. I hope the controller arms are big enough, it will be one of the decision making considerations.

I originally got an ASUS Nexus tablet 7 for my Phantom 4 and M2P. It worked fine but just needed something larger than 7" screen. I am now using iPad Mini and it works better for me. Would never use a phone for flying my phone. You can pick up refirbished iPad Mini's for a very good price on Amazon and free return if you don't like it. I believe you have 90 days to return as well.
30 day returns but extended during this holiday season.

I didn't think the mini was bigger than 7".

Just an observation. Looking at your screen and the tape measure... your actual screen is 7.5" the other 1 1/2" is black surround. My Huwawei M5 8" screen is at least the same size as yours, or possibly 1/2" bigger, because it goes almost to the edge. It fits the arms of the Mk1 Air controller... I am considering getting a drone with adjustable aperture, which is why I am looking in on the Pro2 pages. I hope the controller arms are big enough, it will be one of the decision making considerations.
The remotes from M1 to MM1 are about the same size. If a tablet fit in the jaws of an M1, it should fit any of the others of same style remote.

If you're using an adapter to accommodate your tablet, the adapter might not fit, particularly the type that clamps around the RC.

The remotes from M1 to MM1 are about the same size. If a tablet fit in the jaws of an M1, it should fit any of the others of same style remote.

If you're using an adapter to accommodate your tablet, the adapter might not fit, particularly the type that clamps around the RC.
No, just straight into the jaws.
Thanks for the clarification.

I've been using a both Samsung Active2 (8") and a Samsung Note 20 Ultra. Both are bright the Active 2 screen is bright and big. I posted about it with screenshots in another thread.

While I do like the size of your screen, I feel more comfortable flying when I can see my controller screen as well as the device I am using.

WDK

That's why I like my iPad mini — fits neatly in the arms of the controller so I can still see the controller screen. I bought a mount for it because I wanted it above the controls not below, but decided getting used to a new iPad position (compared to the Phantom) was better than blocking the controller screen.

Reactions: WDKZoom
That's why I like my iPad mini — fits neatly in the arms of the controller so I can still see the controller screen. I bought a mount for it because I wanted it above the controls not below, but decided getting used to a new iPad position (compared to the Phantom) was better than blocking the controller screen.
Is it the iPad mini 1 you are using?

Is it the iPad mini 1 you are using?
For the Mavic 2 Pro the Mini 4 is required. (Which I discovered after I bought the drone — it wouldn't activate with the Mini 2 I bought for running the Phantom 4.)

Pay careful attention to the requirements given by DJI. Sometimes you can get by with older hardware, but you can get unpredictable errors.

From the DJI web site:

Requires iOS 10.0.0 or later (Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom requires iOS 10.0.2 or later).
Compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPad Pro, iPad, iPad Air 2, iPad mini 4.
Optimized for iPhone X.

I've been debating getting a DJI Smart Controller. I'm holding off because I'd like to replace my Mavic Mini with a Mini 2 in the spring, and I want to use a Smart Controller with it. My local shop suggested waiting to see what DJI did with the apps on the Smart Controller.

Reason for the Smart controller is that the brighter screen makes a big difference, wven if it is a bit smaller. Having the controller would let me use the iPad on cloudy days (for the bigger screen) and the smart controller on sunny and cold days. (Had the display on my Mini 2 go wonky while flying the Phantom in -2° weather last week — just too cold for the electronics!)

Reactions: Rob Featonby
From your replies I think if I buy a tablet with octacore processor and 3gb ram , android 8.0 or later will still work fine with the DJI go 4 app? I mean there is no need to look for 4gb ram tablets? ( They are more expensive and will mostly use it for flying my drone)
DJI Go isn't consistent with performance so I'd look up devices known to work rather than choose purely on specifications, there's some high spec phones that don't work well and some low spec phones that do and vice versa. There's a list here compiled from user feedback which is a good starting point:

I found a good deal and bought a Lenovo tab 8 2nd generation,
It has 8inch screen, octacore processor and 4gb ram, android 9.0
Hope it will work fine with DJI Go 4

My set up is quite similar. It seems either can malfunction at any time from listening to all the stories. If the controller dies the drone is “suppose” to RTH but if my mini dies for what ever reason and it has from over hearing, I don’t want to scramble to see my controller screen. YES, I can do everything from touch but one more sense “visual” on the subject can’t hurt.

WDK

I bought a used iPad Mini 2 for $50, and couldn't be happier. It strikes a great balance between screen size and balance. Bigger iPads need a very secure mount because of the weight and moment-arm issues.
What type of hardware did you need to mount to your RC?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78