DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Phone vs Tablet

I'm an Android guy and would never go back to an iPhone (which I'm forced to use at work). That being said, I bought an iPad Mini 5 with cellular solely for my Mavic 2 Pro and it works great!

Attachments

• 20201207_205211.jpg
    20201207_205211.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 20201207_205131.jpg
    20201207_205131.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
I use the Huawei M5 but there are plenty of others that work well too.

I use the Huawei M5 but there are plenty of others that work well too.
I just bought a Huawei M5 lite 10.1" 64GB, 4GB RAM. Installed goFly from PlayStore np. I just tried it in my livingroom and the picture was lagging and pixelated. Any suggestions? setting I should change maybe?

I just bought a Huawei M5 lite 10.1" 64GB, 4GB RAM. Installed goFly from PlayStore np. I just tried it in my livingroom and the picture was lagging and pixelated. Any suggestions? setting I should change maybe?
I've not tried the lite versions of their tablets but these configuration instructions are always a good idea:
... particularly #2

I use an IPad Mini 2 and could never go back to a phone. The visibility of the video feed and view of the app icons makes things far easier to view and decipher.
Hey 2edgesword, i also started using my iPad mini 2 and the mini 2 seems to drain fast when using DJI GO4 Litchi apps (separately) to the point of showing battery image with need to plug in. when I brought in (it was 30F outside) and warmed up and then plugged into power, the iPad mini showed 70%. Any ideas or experience to share?

Hey 2edgesword, i also started using my iPad mini 2 and the mini 2 seems to drain fast when using DJI GO4 Litchi apps (separately) to the point of showing battery image with need to plug in. when I brought in (it was 30F outside) and warmed up and then plugged into power, the iPad mini showed 70%. Any ideas or experience to share?
I have the latest version iPad mini with256gb and have had zero issues at all. I lost sight in my right eye a couple years ago so the bigger screen is a must and the controller is a perfect fit for the mini.

I've used several Android phones (Google, Lenovo and now Samsung) plus two Samsung tablets (S2 and now S7). Before Samsung introduced One UI, I struggled with a problem relating to three UI keys, namely Home screen, Previous and Recent apps. Say, when I tried to capture a shot or video, using the orange circle button at the center of the short end of the app screen, the Andrdoid UI detected the key press and processed it without passing the key to the app. In the case of "Start Capture" button, the OS processed this as Home screen. This was not a problem with the Tab S2, which uses physical UI buttons outside the device's display. But newer devices implement the buttons via software, as part of the display, and this is what initially prevented me from using my Galaxy S8+ for droning. After a firmware update, which introduced Samsung's One UI, I could choose finger swipe gestures for Home, Previous and Recent, and stationary key presses like Start Capture no longer took me to the device's home screen.

I am now playing with my new Galaxy Tab S7, whose 11" screen barely fits into my tablet holder. I have only tried very short flights above our backyard. I don't want to fly far off because if something happens to the drone, I won't find it until the snow melts.

Just flew yesterday with temps around 37-38F. the iPad mini battery did fine and acted as normal. One hour with screen on brightest setting drained down to 70% from 100% after one hour of use. Seems temperature below that is issue. The mini iPad (2nd gen) is great for flying using camera on drone when I cannot see the drone and when filming a certain shot or video.

I've yet to use a tablet that is actually viewable in bright daylight. Ipad mini 4, 5? Can't see worth crap on the screen even at max brightness. Tablet screens just aren't bright enough to be used with drones.

The only solution is to get DJI's screen.

An 8" tablet is just perfect for me, giving a good view of the image and all the data on the screen
The GPS receiver in the tablet will be just as good as the one in your phone.
But what does that matter?
Unless you are trying to reset your homepoint, you won't be using the GPS from the tablet anyway.
Am I being a tech snob by insisting on an ios tablet over android? Or is there a consensus on one being better than the other (for quad flight specifically)?

Am I being a tech snob by insisting on an ios tablet over android? Or is there a consensus on one being better than the other (for quad flight specifically)?
The app works equally well with either operating system.
Use whichever you are comfortable with.

Absolutely do not worry about being a tech snob. I have been enjoying my 9 1/2 inch iPad with my Mavic 2 Pro for several years. I love the nice big picture, room on the screen for histogram, and map. I was. PC user for years but switched over to Apple completely and love their ability to coordinate all devices, their cloud storage, use with my car maps, compatibility with Adobe software (also considered expensive and snobbish but I don't care). Everything is primarily geared to Mac OS and is easily adapted to all devices.

Dale
Miami

Last edited:
Reactions: SpitFire
Absolutely do not worry about being a tech snob. I have been enjoying my 9 1/2 inch iPad with meh Mavic 2 Pro for several years. I love the nice big picture, room on the screen for histogram, and map. I was. PC user for years but switched over to Apple completely and love their ability to coordinate all devices, their cloud storage, use with my car maps, compatibility with Adobe software (also considered expensive and snobbish but I don't care). Everything is primarily geared to Mac OS and is easily adapted to all devices.

Dale
Miami
Further to your point apple ios is the only recommended os on the dji mp2 box.

Further to your point apple ios is the only recommended os on the dji mp2 box.
Even though people keep saying this, it just isn't true.

The made for Apple sticker isn't saying the DJI only recommends iOS for flying.
It's saying that the software will work with iOS (just the same as it works with Android).

Read this to find out what that sticker really means.
It's not what you think at all.

It's saying that the software will work with iOS (just the same as it works with Android).

So

I should have replaced recommended with quoted.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000