DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo Bracketing

Nice Pic...

First test flight tonight around sunset. Missing auto bracketing but hopefully this will be an easy thing to add later via firmware/software updates. For this one I just manually took 2 photos by quickly clicking the sky (first) and the ground (second).View attachment 85863
I guess I'm confused - your first shot was straight on and your second shot you gimbled down or tilted down to get the ground? Then you blended them in a program such as Photoshop? Sorry, very new to this idea

No, they focussed on the ground to get a brightness level for the camera and then they clicked on the sky to get a brightness level for that.
They then merged the two.

I'd not actually thought of that so I'm going to have to try this myself later.

Yep, exactly @chriscuk. I used Photoshop to merge the images. Only issue is that the "remove ghosting" option wasn't there...perhaps because I only had 2 source images and/or because the file format is JPG but not raw?

At any rate, will continue fiddling around with this, but seems like a good potential solution to get a lot more dynamic range out of images provided there isn't a bunch of motion!

Complete newbie here, but this got my attention. I'm a big fan of HDR from a fixed camera, but I never considered it to be useable/useful from a drone. Is "Photo Bracketing" the same? In my ignorance, I would have presumed that the multiple exposures from a bobbling-about drone would be difficult, to impossible, to merge.

Complete newbie here, but this got my attention. I'm a big fan of HDR from a fixed camera, but I never considered it to be useable/useful from a drone. Is "Photo Bracketing" the same? In my ignorance, I would have presumed that the multiple exposures from a bobbling-about drone would be difficult, to impossible, to merge.
Yes, definitely possible with a drone. As long as you're not super close to an object, stability is great so the "bobbling about" issue isn't really a big deal. The main thing is sorting out ghosting with things like traffic (as you'll see in the example I posted) but this can be sorted out in Photoshop with the right amount of fiddling.

Well I just tried and got a big load of fail :D
I think it's too windy where I am at the moment. I think gusts were around 25mph just now so had to give up then lost the light.

I had a couple that almost worked but they were not perfectly aligned so I gave up.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7