DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Photo Editing

SHRED

Reactions
Any suggestions for a photo editor that does RAW files well and doesn't cost an arm and a leg for Windows 11?

Thanks

Low cost ($10/mo) is Lightroom Classic. If you haven’t gone down the path of Adobe, the free editor GIMP is an excellent choice. I adopted Photoshop years ago and couldn’t live without the Camera Raw component (which is part of LR). It really depends on whether you’re a ‘professional’ editor or just looking for adding a tool to your photo cleanup tasks. Because my Mini 2 takes great video, I lean on Adobe Premiere Pro to edit them. But then you’re basically into the “full Adobe suite” <read $$$> category.

Reactions: RonanCork and SHRED
Low cost ($10/mo) is Lightroom Classic. If you haven’t gone down the path of Adobe, the free editor GIMP is an excellent choice. I adopted Photoshop years ago and couldn’t live without the Camera Raw component (which is part of LR). It really depends on whether you’re a ‘professional’ editor or just looking for adding a tool to your photo cleanup tasks. Because my Mini 2 takes great video, I lean on Adobe Premiere Pro to edit them. But then you’re basically into the “full Adobe suite” <read $$$> category.
I should have mentioned that I'm not a professional.

Lot’s of info online for the GIMP. Here’s a link to a great intro. Kevin is a great instructor for all things M$, but you’ll get an idea of the great features the App has. Like anything, practice and experimentation along with tutorials will get you well on your way.

Reactions: Gagey52 and SHRED
I should have mentioned that I'm not a professional
While GIMP is indeed a good editor, Lightroom is so much more than just an editor. It also organizes your photos and provides a hook for many other plugins. For instance, I use Aurora HDR for all my HDR images, which I shoot a lot of when doing any scene with clouds (many). It lets you see all your images in the folder structure you choose and "develop" them without actually damaging them. It really is the best of all the possible editing software packages and comes with Photoshop which is also incredibly useful at times but these days I do 90% of my image work in LR. GIMP is more akin to Photoshop than Lightroom. I'd give LR a try for a while. I -think- there is a 30 day trial. If so, check it out.

Reactions: Gagey52 and SHRED
I have used IrfanView for many years to edit/convert photos. I don't do any RAW processing, but I know it supports RAW formats. Amazing value/quality considering it's freeware.

Reactions: Gagey52
I have used IrfanView for many years to edit/convert photos. I don't do any RAW processing, but I know it supports RAW formats. Amazing value/quality considering it's freeware.
I didn't realize you could manipulate RAW files with it.

I didn't realize you could manipulate RAW files with it.
It all depends on your needs. If you want to adjust contrast/highlights/shadows/color cast, spot heal to remove dust specks or the errant bird, you’ll need LR or GIMP which are intended to do critical edits.

Reactions: SHRED
I've been taking Darktable for a spin. Seems fairly full function so far.

Check out Adobe Photoshop Elements. One time fee, one sale now. I don't shoot raw, but looks like it works for raw. Also, the video editor in the package is excellent with lots of tools. Photoshop Elements

Reactions: smbishop
Try Paint.net. It began as an undergraduate project with Microsoft. It is free and there are plenty of free plug-ins. Very similar to Photoshop in gui.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure