DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2 [Photos] Diesel and Dust

Alexander Of Oz

Reactions
The Midnight Oil House at Burra, South Australia. This particular place was used on the cover of their album Diesel and Dust from 1987, featuring songs tackling themes of the plights of the Australian indigenous people and environmental concerns.

50376657858_8e941ca3c1_o.jpg

50377355581_4538959a6d_o.jpg

50377528917_61cd8d9daa_o.jpg

Last edited:
Super cool colors. Keep posting your scenes from down under.
Thanks dude! Glad you're enjoying them & please, don't take any offence to our differences in capture & editing methods. There was none intended, I am Aspie's & can be a bit blunt in my communication style, but am always open to hearing constructive criticism of my works, so don't ever feel the need to hold back if you have any suggestions for improvement, they'd be greatly appreciated. Drone photography is still something I have only used in a mundane sense of use, with documenting building sites and renovations sites of historic interest.

Hey man, it’s all good. I’m more curious than critical. I’ve been a photographer for 40 years, but drones have been a game changer for me ‘cause I got pretty bored with photography. Unless I’m traveling or getting paid to use my DSLRs/Mirrorless, it’s a burden. I’m so fascinated with filming cinematic video, I often forget to take photos. Remarkably, I can get excellent UHD still frames from video clips out of my M2P and MA2.
I can edit hundreds of images in Lightroom very quickly, but I’m always neglecting my video editing. I’ll get around to more editing in the winter time. Right now, we’re just entering the fall season in the mid-Atlantic states with all the beautiful colors and I’m flying every chance I get.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alexander Of Oz
Hey man, it’s all good. I’m more curious than critical. I’ve been a photographer for 40 years, but drones have been a game changer for me ‘cause I got pretty bored with photography. Unless I’m traveling or getting paid to use my DSLRs/Mirrorless, it’s a burden. I’m so fascinated with filming cinematic video, I often forget to take photos. Remarkably, I can get remarkable still frames from video clips out of my M2P and MA2.
Cool. You like me would have seen a lot of change over that time then! I'm 51 and have been photographing for 39 years! Digital photography came into my life in 2012.

Videography in the air is something I haven't thoroughly explored as yet, but will be now. I'll probably start off with using the automated methods of target tracking offered on the MA2, which are not at all dissimilar to the old Parrot Anafi.

Newbie here (the name is Bernard actually). Great post. Thank you for sharing. This post caught my eye because I used to love that album and recognized the image. Wow, what a flashback. Peter Garrett is a hero to me. As for your images, they resonate with me because I am loving the possibilities of photos/videos that aren't necessarily super high off of the ground and one of my first shoots of which I feel showed something special were of an abandoned house in rural Texas. I will try and share soon.
- B

Newbie here (the name is Bernard actually). Great post. Thank you for sharing. This post caught my eye because I used to love that album and recognized the image. Wow, what a flashback. Peter Garrett is a hero to me. As for your images, they resonate with me because I am loving the possibilities of photos/videos that aren't necessarily super high off of the ground and one of my first shoots of which I feel showed something special were of an abandoned house in rural Texas. I will try and share soon.
- B
Hey, Bernard! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed these and that they inspired you to share your explore of a place in Texas, I look forward to seeing them!

Peter Garrett still is a vocal advocate for peoples rights, the environment and Nature. Like you he was a huge influence upon me. I have been an active protester and advocate for peoples rights, the environment and Nature also, since the mid eighties. Unfortunately, we still need to be vocal and inconvenient to get the message across! ;)

wow these are some fantastic shots, compliments Thumbswayup
Cheers Paul
Thanks, Paul, I'm glad you're enjoying them! ?

Hey, Bernard! Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed these and that they inspired you to share your explore of a place in Texas, I look forward to seeing them!

Peter Garrett still is a vocal advocate for peoples rights, the environment and Nature. Like you he was a huge influence upon me. I have been an active protester and advocate for peoples rights, the environment and Nature also, since the mid eighties. Unfortunately, we still need to be vocal and inconvenient to get the message across! ;)

Great to hear - thank you.

As for your location, It is fascinating that the house is still standing and seemingly abandoned. Do you know much more about the actual location (especially given that it has a somewhat iconic value - per the album photo?).

- Bernard

p.s. Here is a ground level shot from the West Texas property I spoke of. I will hopefully share my video footage in a few days or so.
Drone Image B Yin Spet 2020.JPG

Great to hear - thank you.

As for your location, It is fascinating that the house is still standing and seemingly abandoned. Do you know much more about the actual location (especially given that it has a somewhat iconic value - per the album photo?).

- Bernard

p.s. Here is a ground level shot from the West Texas property I spoke of. I will hopefully share my video footage in a few days or so.
View attachment 113753
Howdy again, Bernard,

The location of the Midnight Oil House is just to the North of Burra, in South Australia. It is in agricultural land and unfortunately many large scale farmers see the old ruins as pests or blights on their land as they intrude into the maximisation of profit and are a nuisance to drive around for cultivation processes of their crops! There have been several attempts to make this place restored to become weather-tight, but the landowner is not obliging, regardless of the peoples concerns! It has become a tourist hotspot for stopping to grab a quick snap when passing it and is far enough off the highway to keep people out of roaming around it, possibly creating more instability of it.

I look forward to your sharing some video of your place when you can, no rush. It looks to be a charmer of a place, with a bonus out the front there!

You were right, ‘funny you should mention Midnight Oil’...

Great shots.

Thanks for posting these. More determined than ever to get there when conditions allow.

Ken Duncan’s Midnight Oil Kambalda photo also a classic.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929