• 914AA24E-0807-4830-B5E3-E62436C01FF0.jpeg
    914AA24E-0807-4830-B5E3-E62436C01FF0.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 127
  • 9CDB6A70-94D5-45FF-9FD6-E75509C2041D.jpeg
    9CDB6A70-94D5-45FF-9FD6-E75509C2041D.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 126
Just a few photos
Nice shots, but...
1. The NYPD can bust you for flying anywhere but the 5 designated places for flying.
2. There are regular low altitude helicopter flights in the airspace over the East River where you took your shots of the Brooklyn Bridge so that's not particularly safe.
3. The last shot you took at night is over a busy residential/commercial area and also dangerous should you have any type of failure.

Now for the record I don't mind you flying in the city but we both know that for some of those shot you were beyond VLOS. Some of your flights were unsafe and technically they were all illegal. All of this affects me and my ability to fly here (I live in NYC) because it will just make the NYPD crack down harder. If you have a serious mishap it will affect all of us country wide. You represent all drone pilots and have a responsibility not to ruin it for the rest of it.
PM me if you want and I can show you some great places here to fly safely and without bothering anyone

Nice shots, but...
1. The NYPD can bust you for flying anywhere but the 5 designated places for flying.
2. There are regular low altitude helicopter flights in the airspace over the East River where you took your shots of the Brooklyn Bridge so that's not particularly safe.
3. The last shot you took at night is over a busy residential/commercial area and also dangerous should you have any type of failure.

Now for the record I don't mind you flying in the city but we both know that for some of those shot you were beyond VLOS. Some of your flights were unsafe and technically they were all illegal. All of this affects me and my ability to fly here (I live in NYC) because it will just make the NYPD crack down harder. If you have a serious mishap it will affect all of us country wide. You represent all drone pilots and have a responsibility not to ruin it for the rest of it.
PM me if you want and I can show you some great places here to fly safely and without bothering anyone
Thx for the heads up. I understand that now. These were taken when I first got my drone a year and half ago. Was extremely excited ab9ut it and didn't know the laws and rules. That since has changed. Pics at night were right above my home, so had vlos.

Reactions: Former Member
Lol. I appreciate it all. Thanks. Since I love photography so much I just wanted a few pics of my iconic landmarks where I live. However, I have read so much on the rules & regulations that I won't jeopardize it ever again. ??

Reactions: Cymruflyer
I used to fly my Piper Cherokees and Cessna 172s legally at very low altitudes (around 400') under JFKs ATC not too far from there. A drone would have really ruined my day at the same altitude.

I used to fly my Piper Cherokees and Cessna 172s legally at very low altitudes (around 400') under JFKs ATC not too far from there. A drone would have really ruined my day at the same altitude.
Ditto. My first student solo cross country out of Farmingdale (to Washington DC area) had me flying at 450 feet just offshore by Coney Island to stay under the JFK airspace. At that time (1980’s) I think it was called a TRSA (Terminal Radar Service Area), before it became Class B airspace. But regardless of what it was called, a drone at that altitude could ruin a pilot’s day.

Ditto. My first student solo cross country out of Farmingdale (to Washington DC area) had me flying at 450 feet just offshore by Coney Island to stay under the JFK airspace. At that time (1980’s) I think it was called a TRSA (Terminal Radar Service Area), before it became Class B airspace. But regardless of what it was called, a drone at that altitude could ruin a pilot’s day.

Did you take off from FRG? We used to fly out of Zahns in Amityville. Zahns was a Unicom where FRG was a tower. I will always remember Deer Park VOR.

dah dit dit, dit dah dah dit, dah dit dah
-.. .--. -.-

My dad is buried under the downwind leg of Republic. That would have made him happy.

Reactions: Mrmund
If you think a drone strike would be bad, what about an engine out? It is never a good idea to fly a GA aircraft or any manned aircraft at those low levels, if you have no safe place to land it in. It is more of a risk for you to take the aircraft down to that altitude over water, and not a smart thing to do. Even worse if a pilot were carrying a poor, excited unsuspecting passenger. That sort of low level flying needs is never a smart thing to do, if you had no place to safely put it down. And an instructor should not be sending a solo pilot out over an area that would be impossible to safely put it down, if the student were to experience an engine out.

If you think a drone strike would be bad, what about an engine out? It is never a good idea to fly a GA aircraft or any manned aircraft at those low levels, if you have no safe place to land it in. It is more of a risk for you to take the aircraft down to that altitude over water, and not a smart thing to do. Even worse if a pilot were carrying a poor, excited unsuspecting passenger. That sort of low level flying needs is never a smart thing to do, if you had no place to safely put it down. And an instructor should not be sending a solo pilot out over an area that would be impossible to safely put it down, if the student were to experience an engine out.
If you look at the area we are talking about, there is probably no better area to find a safe place to land than that. There are miles and miles of beaches, which is a great place for a forced landing. Also, it really doesn't matter what altitude you are at if you are not trained for a forced landing or engine out. You can be at 10000' and have an engine out, and if you don't know where a suitable place to land would be, you're in big trouble.

If you are a pilot, you know that during your flight practical exam you are required to come up with some suitable landing places in case of emergency. The examiner will ask you exactly that. When I got my license, the examiner let me descend to about 200' before he said OK the airplane is yours and let me go back up to cruise altitude.

The area that the OP and I are talking about flying under was only for about 5 miles anyway.

Of all the Cessna, Piper, Mooney, Beech and other airplanes that I have bought and sold, I had two mid air emergencies that required a forced landing. Luckily I learned that skill early and my dad always reinforced it when I was flying with him. Every few minutes he would say "where would you land now if the engine went out." I can't thank him enough for that invaluable training. I also apply that instinct to my drone flying. I'm always aware of the possibility of a mid air failure, so I'm always looking for a place to land even if everything seems to be going fine. It's part of my preflight planning.

Did you take off from FRG? We used to fly out of Zahns in Amityville. Zahns was a Unicom where FRG was a tower. I will always remember Deer Park VOR.

dah dit dit, dit dah dah dit, dah dit dah
-.. .--. -.-

My dad is buried under the downwind leg of Republic. That would have made him happy.
I did most of my flying out of FRG...I know I said that flight was my first student cross country in the 80s. That was after a 15 year gap in my logbook. My first long cross country was from Poestenkill (Rensselaer County Air Park - gone now) to Deer Park or Zahn’s, can’t remember which (and my logbook is in NY). About 20 miles south of Albany I started to dial in Deer Park on the VOR, but then noticed that I could see the Northport LILCO stacks from way upstate. It was one of those severe clear days.

Sorry to go off-topic but it is fun remembering this stuff with someone else who’s been to the same places. Thanks Rob.

Although at that altitude things will happen fast, you are near shallow water and beaches. If you lose an engine over Brooklyn or Queens, you might still opt for the water. Sully did! (OK, I know, much bigger plane, fewer alternatives)

I did most of my flying out of FRG...I know I said that flight was my first student cross country in the 80s. That was after a 15 year gap in my logbook. My first long cross country was from Poestenkill (Rensselaer County Air Park - gone now) to Deer Park or Zahn’s, can’t remember which (and my logbook is in NY). About 20 miles south of Albany I started to dial in Deer Park on the VOR, but then noticed that I could see the Northport LILCO stacks from way upstate. It was one of those severe clear days.

Sorry to go off-topic but it is fun remembering this stuff with someone else who’s been to the same places. Thanks Rob.

Did you fly over the LI Sound?

Although at that altitude things will happen fast, you are near shallow water and beaches. If you lose an engine over Brooklyn or Queens, you might still opt for the water. Sully did! (OK, I know, much bigger plane, fewer alternatives)

And Sully had the unfortunate problem of a possible departure stall, and very bad situation. Full of gas and passengers, the plane was fully loaded. He still managed to get that plane down and safe. The planes that you (@Drbobk) and I operate will be easier in an emergency than an A320.

If you look at the area we are talking about, there is probably no better area to find a safe place to land than that. There are miles and miles of beaches, which is a great place for a forced landing. Also, it really doesn't matter what altitude you are at if you are not trained for a forced landing or engine out. You can be at 10000' and have an engine out, and if you don't know where a suitable place to land would be, you're in big trouble.

If you are a pilot, you know that during your flight practical exam you are required to come up with some suitable landing places in case of emergency. The examiner will ask you exactly that. When I got my license, the examiner let me descend to about 200' before he said OK the airplane is yours and let me go back up to cruise altitude.

The area that the OP and I are talking about flying under was only for about 5 miles anyway.

Of all the Cessna, Piper, Mooney, Beech and other airplanes that I have bought and sold, I had two mid air emergencies that required a forced landing. Luckily I learned that skill early and my dad always reinforced it when I was flying with him. Every few minutes he would say "where would you land now if the engine went out." I can't thank him enough for that invaluable training. I also apply that instinct to my drone flying. I'm always aware of the possibility of a mid air failure, so I'm always looking for a place to land even if everything seems to be going fine. It's part of my preflight planning.
Im a pi;ot and was an instructor and since you are a long time pilot, you know that to say... "it really doesn't matter what altitude you are at if you are not trained for a forced landing or engine out. You can be at 10000' and have an engine out, and if you don't know where a suitable place to land would be, you're in big trouble." Is not a sensible statement to make about a pilot, because ALL pilots should be able to handle an engine out situation as they should have been trained to do just that. It is part of the training and should be practiced often throughout any pilot's flying life.

All pilots should be paying attention to what they are flying over and picking out suitable landing spots all around them as their flight progresses because they were trained to do that just like they were trained to check the Ps and Ts on climb out. Therefore, there should never be a situation whereby a pilot is at any altitude including your 10,000 ft mentioned, and not be trained to pick a spot to land and get it down in there. Altitude is your friend when you have an engine out, you know that. Yes many pilots get laxed and don't practice engine out situations as they age, but that is their own fault, that is not how they were trained.

It would be like saying no matter if you are driving at 40mph or 150mph, if you are not looking at the road, but have your eyes on your phone texting, you will be having a nasty crash. Sure, some people do that but that is not how they were trained to drive. Regarding flight, I am speaking of what a pilot was trained to do and is expected to do during flight. There should legally be no pilot up in the sky who was not trained for a forced landing, or who was not paying attention to emergency landing spots.

Those who have not practiced such a scenario continuously during their flying life and those not paying attention to the ground, will all pay the price when such a situation comes up. It is just not a thing that pilots are told is okay to do, to fly low over water and think that engine will always be spinning their prop. Many may do it but it is not a safe, nor sensible thing to do. I was just commenting on flying low over water, that was mentioned in this thread, so that other non pilots did not think this is something that we all do on a regular basis. The prop is only there to spin and keep a pilot cool because when it stops, they all begin to sweat!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mountainmanflyin