DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

PIC in training

dipnit

Reactions
Hi Y'all. Haven't bought a drone yet, but for the last week or so I have been researching, studying, bookmarking, and downloading. I have already gotten my FTN. Have decided on a Mavic Air 2, figured i'd get the 107 certification first so I wouldn't have to look at a new drone sitting there begging me to get 'er going! Going to get combo because in know 1 battery ain't gonna cut it. I have flown the cheap mini drones and can zip them around the trees in the yard ok, and that is what got me wanting a "real" drone. And who knows, maybe I can make some money also.
Not sure about what to use as a monitor. I have a Motorola phone with a 5.5" screen that I am planning on using at the start but think I will want something along the line of a 10 or 12 inch screen. Eyes aren't as good as they used to be.

Went to the play store to download b4youfly app, and was amazed at the amount of drone related apps there are. It appears to me to be an app that would be used in pre-flight planning, I like the 1800wxbrief.com site much better than the app. Is there something on that app that is not available on the web page?

And must say I do like this site. There are a lot of people here, and almost all posts seem to have a lot of responses. And some really knowledgeable folks too. Most excellent site.

Welcome to the forum! You’ve certainly uncovered a whole new world, haven’t you? It’s great to read your excitement, as it makes me want to charge up my batteries and fly around sunrise.

Just go get that MA2 and fly your tail off. You can worry about that “furtherance of a business” stuff later...just fly!

Hello from the Hoosier Heartland dipnit.

I use the AIRMAP, UAV FORECAST, & WINDY.COM apps available free in the stores.

I check these before loading up the gear to go fly.

No sense going somewhere if there's a TFR or the winds may not be suitable for flight later in the day.

As mentioned above, don't let the part 107 get in the way of you flying as a hobbyist.

Get some stick time in as a hobbyist while you study for the Part 107 certificate.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. ?

P.S. I like your Avatar but I don't think the DJI care refresh will honor a lost drone being eaten by a shark. ?

Welcome to the forum.
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching . ?

Welcome to the forum! :)

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

MA2 317 have you heard anything about AirMap and how they are tryin to MONETIZE our industry? Most of us are now Anti-AirMap now that they have consistently shown their trues colors. I just Kittywak.io and UAS Sidekick with great results.

Welcome to the forum. We look forward to your participation and your view of the world.

317 have you heard anything about AirMap and how they are tryin to MONETIZE our industry? Most of us are now Anti-AirMap now that they have consistently shown their trues colors.

Thank you for the heads up BigAl07.

I'll check out the Kittyhawk and the the UAS sidekick app and also read the links you provided. ?

I'm constantly learning about this hobby / business. :)

seeing as I plan on the MA2, it will be over the weight limit for flying without part 107 cert. Don't want to start off being in violation of rules. Is that not correct?
Welcome to the forum. You do not need the 107 cert to fly recreationally. You do need to register with the FAA at dronezone.com if the aircraft is over 250 gr, which the MA2 is. This will cost $5 and is good for 3 years. You will need to display the registration number on the outside of the drone, and the same number will be used for all the drones you own. When you get your 107 cert you will have to again register each drone separately. Get the drone, register recreationally, and have fun. Download the manual from the dji web site and study it, watch lots of utube videos, and remember that trees and powerlines are evil.

Welcome to the forum. You do not need the 107 cert to fly recreationally. You do need to register with the FAA at dronezone.com if the aircraft is over 250 gr, which the MA2 is. This will cost $5 and is good for 3 years. You will need to display the registration number on the outside of the drone, and the same number will be used for all the drones you own. When you get your 107 cert you will have to again register each drone separately. Get the drone, register recreationally, and have fun. Download the manual from the dji web site and study it, watch lots of utube videos, and remember that trees and powerlines are evil.
Thats somewhat confusing as I thought weight was one of the determining factors in the 107?
So I looked at the dji site (again) and they have a valentine special going, That is one of the questions I had considered posting, as to whether dji ever had specials. No price discount but a free gift of a carry bag. Seeing as the combo comes with one, it isn't much of a discount.
Does anybody know if they accept bitcoin? That would be a much easier way to go for me.

edit: And i am spending way to much time on here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GrantleyB