DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

NBG75

Reactions
Hello, im going to visit Pikes Peak tomorrow and i have a Mavic Mini which is under 250 grams. Im wondering if anyone knows if im allowed to fly it there?

Reactions: Droniac
I live just outside the Peak, and to the best of my knowledge you can not fly the summit. IIRC it is a Federal Forest but a State park and most all of them are no fly zones. (I need to check on this)

I have read that you can fly down off the summit, and this is something I need to look into better.
Best advice is to call the PP Ranger Station...

Pikes Peak - America's Mountain

then let us know what you find out

McG

I live just outside the Peak, and to the best of my knowledge you can not fly the summit. IIRC it is a Federal Forest but a State park and most all of them are no fly zones. (I need to check on this)

I have read that you can fly down off the summit, and this is something I need to look into better.
Best advice is to call the PP Ranger Station...

Pikes Peak - America's Mountain

then let us know what you find out

McG
I live near the COS/Pete Field airport, and you are correct. The PP actually falls under the COS parks and rec. I have flown some of the other peaks, near Cripple Creek area and found the altitude does have a slight affect. I would discourage PP simply because it is also a designated habitat for endangered species. Besides, it is one of the few parks owned by COS that are NOT drone friendly, GOG is another!
And for those that make the trip, be cautious on that Highway going up/down?

I live near the COS/Pete Field airport, and you are correct. The PP actually falls under the COS parks and rec. I have flown some of the other peaks, near Cripple Creek area and found the altitude does have a slight affect. I would discourage PP simply because it is also a designated habitat for endangered species. Besides, it is one of the few parks owned by COS that are NOT drone friendly, GOG is another!
And for those that make the trip, be cautious on that Highway going up/down?
Garden of the Gods "DOES" allow drones on a very limited basis. Rules are crazy for sure and a bit hard to figure out. They give you a 2 hour window in morning and afternoon to fly legally in the OFF SEASON.

The "DENVER PARKS" thing is total BS, esp when so many parks are nowhere near Denver - like PP, GOTG, and even Mt. Evans / Echo Lake.

You can Google "Drones in Colorado and Denver" to find ALL the restrictions, but flying the summit at PP is not allowed and doubtful to do with a Mini. You'll also get A LOT of high altitude warnings from DJI as well. My Air2 flew very well in higher altitude - about 9-10k feet; but battery life is about half that of lower altitudes.

You can "bypass" the "Denver Park Rules" by flying outside of those specific areas and there are many places to do so. Same if flying in downtown Denver. Get outside of park boundaries and you should be fine. No different than flying around Nat Parks / etc that ban take-off / landing of drones in those areas.

I am in Monument, and looking for good places to fly....I am new so have not been able to get out but I want to get some scouting done before the first real snow sticks

Garden of the Gods "DOES" allow drones on a very limited basis. Rules are crazy for sure and a bit hard to figure out. They give you a 2 hour window in morning and afternoon to fly legally in the OFF SEASON.

The "DENVER PARKS" thing is total BS, esp when so many parks are nowhere near Denver - like PP, GOTG, and even Mt. Evans / Echo Lake.

You can Google "Drones in Colorado and Denver" to find ALL the restrictions, but flying the summit at PP is not allowed and doubtful to do with a Mini. You'll also get A LOT of high altitude warnings from DJI as well. My Air2 flew very well in higher altitude - about 9-10k feet; but battery life is about half that of lower altitudes.

You can "bypass" the "Denver Park Rules" by flying outside of those specific areas and there are many places to do so. Same if flying in downtown Denver. Get outside of park boundaries and you should be fine. No different than flying around Nat Parks / etc that ban take-off / landing of drones in those areas.
I knew GOG permits on very rare occasions, but the hoops just aren’t worth it! I have seen some take off from the road adjacent to the VC @GoG.

So I just sent an email to the POC for GoG, to see what the process is.....

McG

I am in Monument, and looking for good places to fly....I am new so have not been able to get out but I want to get some scouting done before the first real snow sticks
Jump over to Palmer. Start with the lakes areas. The Palmer Lake (on the east) and the reservoirs (on the west). Palmer (town) is very drone friendly. Great opportunity for trains, and fishing, as well. Take a little trip up the mountains via highway 24.

1. Continue to either Cripple Creek/Victor area, via HW67, and capture lots and lots of abandoned gold mines (and one very active open pit gold mine, on HW84.

2. Or stay on HW24 towards Buena Vista direction and capture the high plains areas.

Buena Vista options:

CHOICE #1:
Hit BV and turn south to Salida and come back via HW 50, along the Arkansas River, through Canon City to Pensose (or keep going past to I-25) then north towards home.

CHOICE #2:
Taking 24 west to BV then just a bit north on 24N to Twin Lakes. HW 82 W towards Aspen to I-70 and return trip via Denver (west) and I-25 S to Monument.

FYI-The HW 82 goes up and over Independence Pass (12,095 feet altitude). Extreme caution is advised on this paved road (extreme snake like curves). Take a winter coat any time of year! This route IS an all day trip! Also, that road may be seasonally closed for very good reasons. Extremely hazardous in snowy season.

Either way, pack a lunch and put a fresh chip in the car cam as well. Car cams present excellent video to help back up your journeys as well!

Before any journey always check the weather forecast in the area of desired travel! And, dress accordingly!

DM me for more travel fun places!

Jump over to Palmer. Start with the lakes areas. The Palmer Lake (on the east) and the reservoirs (on the west). Palmer (town) is very drone friendly. Great opportunity for trains, and fishing, as well. Take a little trip up the mountains via highway 24.

1. Continue to either Cripple Creek/Victor area, via HW67, and capture lots and lots of abandoned gold mines (and one very active open pit gold mine, on HW84.

2. Or stay on HW24 towards Buena Vista direction and capture the high plains areas.

Buena Vista options:

CHOICE #1:
Hit BV and turn south to Salida and come back via HW 50, along the Arkansas River, through Canon City to Pensose (or keep going past to I-25) then north towards home.

CHOICE #2:
Taking 24 west to BV then just a bit north on 24N to Twin Lakes. HW 82 W towards Aspen to I-70 and return trip via Denver (west) and I-25 S to Monument.

FYI-The HW 82 goes up and over Independence Pass (12,095 feet altitude). Extreme caution is advised on this paved road (extreme snake like curves). Take a winter coat any time of year! This route IS an all day trip! Also, that road may be seasonally closed for very good reasons. Extremely hazardous in snowy season.

Either way, pack a lunch and put a fresh chip in the car cam as well. Car cams present excellent video to help back up your journeys as well!

Before any journey always check the weather forecast in the area of desired travel! And, dress accordingly!

DM me for more travel fun places!
I was trying to get to Plamer Lake on Thursday, but life

Made it to Palmer Park today, got some footage, not sure how good it is.....it got windy really fast
Also could not figure out how to lock my exposure

Still waiting to heat back about Garden of the Gods.

@NBG75
How was your trip to the Peak?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929