DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Pilot error or crappy drone?

Please could you just clarify one thing? Advise is repeatedly given NOT to use sport mode as it consumes battery faster. My understanding is that the rates increase in sport mode, and the drone can achieve a greater angle of attack. Both of these are beneficial when fighting strong winds, and if the pilot remains within the angles of P mode, battery use should also remain within the parameters of P mode. What am i not understanding?
Hello Bebopperoo:

I think the issue is that watts / meter of forward progress is optimal in normal mode under most conditions. Thus sport mode definitely increases speed against the wind but the energy consumed by the drone is proportionally greater than increase in speed. Of course if the drone can’t advance against the wind in normal mode it may be able to make some progress in sport mode even though it will drain the battery quicker. In a case where one flew downwind on an outward leg and then turned upwind to return at 50% battery there would be little chance of returning successfully in either mode, but normal mode would likely get closer.

Howard

As with all my drones, I do a quick 30 second reverse flight, back to my home point, especially on windy days. This way, when I see a 5 or 10mph speed drop when flying toward the home point, I know I will likely need more than 60% battery when I decide to return home. If it's a 5mph drop I go home at 60%, a 10 mph drop I go home at 65-68% batt. If a reverse test flight speed drops by 15mph to home I turn around at 75% batt. These numbers are just a general rule of thumb for me. The M3 is a different story. I haven't owned it long enough to know it's "go home" numbers quite yet. I'm still getting home with over 30% battery left. I certainly can't complain about that.
That’s what I’d always do when sailing too.
Although it takes a lot longer than 30 seconds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
engmarceloacs