DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to fly in Connectcut?

jmsessa

Reactions
I'm having an increasingly more difficult time finding places to fly in Southern CT. Getting the usual ; "Are you spying on anyone? Isn't that dangerous?" Or the warning signs against " motorized remote controlled devices". I'm careful, experienced and have no desire to spy...

Reactions: sedonaranger
The state also denies their use in state parks. I wanted to fly two different parks - spoke with the ranger, last fall, that covers them and she was all for it. Told me I had to get a special use permit. I called the special use permit office. They said they were in the process of changing personnel and to call back in the spring. Called early May and was told the state does not allow the use of drones in the state parks :mad:

The state also denies their use in state parks. I wanted to fly two different parks - spoke with the ranger, last fall, that covers them and she was all for it. Told me I had to get a special use permit. I called the special use permit office. They said they were in the process of changing personnel and to call back in the spring. Called early May and was told the state does not allow the use of drones in the state parks :mad:
I used to fly in a nearby state park with an older drone a few years ago but last year was ordered to, " Land your drone, sir," by a ranger. I went through the same procedures as you did, to no avail. BTW, this was off season; no people around. The calls I made said I might bother the birds in the park.

I'm having an increasingly more difficult time finding places to fly in Southern CT. Getting the usual ; "Are you spying on anyone? Isn't that dangerous?" Or the warning signs against " motorized remote controlled devices". I'm careful, experienced and have no desire to spy...
Hi, I just became a member of this site, I feel your pain. I live in Greenwich, Ct, I only fly in Parks. I own 2- Drones, and still have a tough time finding places to fly. I have spoken to my local Police Department, and they have told me that Drones can be flown in Parks and over water, Not on State land, or near Federal or State Buildings, and no flying at Beaches or State Parks. No Fly Zone at Cos Cob Park. Good Luck

Hi, I just became a member of this site, I feel your pain. I live in Greenwich, Ct, I only fly in Parks. I own 2- Drones, and still have a tough time finding places to fly. I have spoken to my local Police Department, and they have told me that Drones can be flown in Parks and over water, Not on State land, or near Federal or State Buildings, and no flying at Beaches or State Parks. No Fly Zone at Cos Cob Park. Good Luck
I am also a Greenwich, CT resident. Today I went to Roger Sherman Baldwin Park. And was told by a police officer that flying over any park is prohibited in Greenwich.
do you know of other areas, perhaps somewhere with a shoreline?

I am also a Greenwich, CT resident. Today I went to Roger Sherman Baldwin Park. And was told by a police officer that flying over any park is prohibited in Greenwich.
do you know of other areas, perhaps somewhere with a shoreline?
Since I wrote that statement, the FAA changed its flight path over certain areas in Greenwich, I went to Stamford Cove Island Park, I stayed in the parking lot South end, then flew over the outskirts of the island. Dont fly from the island, there are signs that say No Drones.

Reactions: Maverick 007
Since I wrote that statement, the FAA changed its flight path over certain areas in Greenwich, I went to Stamford Cove Island Park, I stayed in the parking lot South end, then flew over the outskirts of the island. Dont fly from the island, there are signs that say No Drones.
Also at the Civic Center field in Old Greenwich, as long as there’s no one playing on the field.

Reactions: Maverick 007
I'm not from your area of the state, but in Vernon I've flown from school athletic fields and parking lots on days there was no school or practices, and large church parking lots on days they were empty. One time a police cruiser was sitting in the school parking lot watching traffic and I asked the officer if it was ok for me to practice there and he said "have fun". I was especially surprised because the PD building was only a block away.

I've also used large, empty business parking lots on days they were closed and not a car in sight. And town parks early in the am when very few people were around.

If even one person came by and asked me to stop, I would land and leave.
But that has not happened....yet.

The problem with Cove Island Park is that during the warmer months (May 1st through September 30th) you need a permit to park there. If you're not a Stamford resident, it's over $290. I haven't driven by there lately, but my recollection is that nearby on-street parking requires a Stamford resident permit.

I guess I'm lucky, living next to a river gives be great access to both shorelines. I just have to watch out for seaplanes practicing once in a while.
I've captured some great shoreline photos from my 12 ft aluminum boat. Just get proficient with hand launch-and-catch before you go out on the water. These drones, they don't swim well. You may want to approach non-profits. They control huge areas in Ct. classified as open space.
And sometimes they might want some free aerial photos of their properties.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AASHIANAPC