DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to fly in DFW?

Enan

Reactions
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding safe and legal places to fly in DFW? Looking for a place big enough where 3 or 4 ppl can fly at the same time.

There are several of us that fly in the Euless/Bedford area quite frequently at a place called Mallard Cove Park. You can find it on google maps. Lots of open space, very few people, about 1/2 way between Dallas and Fort Worth. If you go there on a weekend when the weather is nice, you'ill probably run into at least 1 other droner. There is also a RC Plane park about 1/4 mile from there.

There's not anything terribly scenic about the area, but it's got plenty of open spaces, some water (creek), some huge trees for shade, and it's about the best place I've found in the middle of the metroplex.

If you want to go East, there are some big nice parks on the far NE side of Plano. (Bob Woodruff is one).

I fly at empty soccer fields and baseball parks all over the city on a regular basis. I've never had one complaint. Probably because I never fly too close to people.

As long as you avoid the 2 major airports and stay away from people, you'll be fine. Let me know if you find a place with something scenic to shoot.

Reactions: Enan
Thanks for all of the info TrayBoz . I have 2 other friends that love to fly and I think that Euless location will be perfect as far as distance for us to travel. As for scenic, I'm still looking for a nice spot to capture some video. I will definitely post back as I find them. Thanks again.

There are several of us that fly in the Euless/Bedford area quite frequently at a place called Mallard Cove Park. You can find it on google maps. Lots of open space, very few people, about 1/2 way between Dallas and Fort Worth. If you go there on a weekend when the weather is nice, you'ill probably run into at least 1 other droner. There is also a RC Plane park about 1/4 mile from there.

There's not anything terribly scenic about the area, but it's got plenty of open spaces, some water (creek), some huge trees for shade, and it's about the best place I've found in the middle of the metroplex.

If you want to go East, there are some big nice parks on the far NE side of Plano. (Bob Woodruff is one).

I fly at empty soccer fields and baseball parks all over the city on a regular basis. I've never had one complaint. Probably because I never fly too close to people.

As long as you avoid the 2 major airports and stay away from people, you'll be fine. Let me know if you find a place with something scenic to shoot.
Thanks for all of the info TrayBoz . I have 2 other friends that love to fly and I think that Euless location will be perfect as far as distance for us to travel. As for scenic, I'm still looking for a nice spot to capture some video. I will definitely post back as I find them. Thanks again.

Hi. I live in Fort Worth and there's a pretty nice park, Oakmont Park, that's never crowded. It is adjacent to Mira Vista Country Club which has a nice golf course with big houses. It is also near Benbrook Lake, but flying on the lake is not permitted. I was flying at Benbrook Lake and a park ranger said no drones. He was nice about it and did not ticket me.

You can fly in downtown Fort Worth at the Water Park, just south of the Convention Center without notifying anybody. Just stay south of 7th St.
If you want to fly NORTH of 7th St., you have to notify FW Meacham airport operations and the ATC tower. To do this, go to Meacham.com, then click on the Community Outreach link. Then click the Submit UAS Notification link. This will lead you to a simple form you fill out and submit. You can do this any time, even 15 min. before you fly. The form shows the phone number for the tower. Keep the phone number with you when you fly, because the tower wants to know when you're done flying. One form for any number of flyers.

Another fun place is Trinity Park. Just don't go much further north than Lancaster or so. North of that, you'll have to notify Meacham. While you're in Trinity Park, you get a good view of the FW skyline from the west end of the very photogenic 7th St. Bridge. Though drone flying is "legal" in all FW parks, the FW Botanic Gardens forbids it. Besides, it's under FW NAS JRB's purview, but notifying them is easy as well. It's a good idea to check Airmap so see who you have to notify.

Dallas has a lot of photogenic stuff too. Haven't flown there yet, but I will, when I get time.

BTW, If you're going to fly behind any of the tall buildings, you'll likely lose signal. So plan your missions ahead of time using Litchi. Why? because Litchi missions are stored in your drone. If you lose connectivity, your drone will complete the assigned mission and return home safely.

Happy flyin', y'all

Hi y'all. It's 2021, and I'm looking for places to fly a mavic mini in the Fort Worth area. Can be outside FW, so any places or groups that meet to fly, would be appreciated. Thanks!!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dominicus15