DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Places to Takeoff

MrsTreat

Reactions
With the portability of the Mavic it seems like any place can be a good spot to launch a flight. What are some of everyone’s favorite type places? For me, a good one is a boat ramp because a lake usually makes for some good pics. And I also find ‘overlooks’ great too if they’re not in a State Park. Finally, smaller county and local parks can are pretty good especially if close to a big ‘downtown’ area.

Anyway, with the Mavic along with me, I start seeing every parking lot or rest stop as a place to fly. But I’m always curious to know how everyone else does it.

T

Pretty much like the same thing, except I take off from the beach and pull back out over the water. I also like launching from mountains, it's pretty nice when you fly between two peaks.

Rob

Reactions: MrsTreat
Will have to head to the beach Robby. Only about 100 miles for me. I'll have to see how the Mavic performs in all that wind.

Reactions: Robbyg
Will have to head to the beach Robby. Only about 100 miles for me. I'll have to see how the Mavic performs in all that wind.

I highly suggest that you fly in the early morning or late afternoon. The wind is indeed pretty bad during the mid day hours.

Rob

Good places to take off/land are in my book the following, bearing in mind that my Mavic gets only used for video/photography (no sports, recreational etc):

- at least 10m area without trees, cables, obstructions
- high enough to keep visual contact at all times
- empty of people/traffic/distractions
- ideally somewhat out of view of the public (again, don't like being distracted)
- away from large radio installations/masts
- with a 1 sqm empty (flat?) take off spot

landing is less of an issue for me, as I always hand catch, but I prefer a takeoff from ground (easier). Also had a few loss of connections in my flying time, and return to home did not exactly feature a precision landing, so prefer to have that 20m or so space in case of that (I have sensors turned off)

Another issue to consider when choosing a spot for launch/land is that whether you could (or trust yourself to) land it, if there is no GPS. Again, on a few occasions I found that the Mavic switched to ATTI mode despite being in clear skies. On all occasions my manual flying skills saved the bird, but I wouldnt want to be in a built up area, specially if there is a breeze...

just my few cents

Reactions: MrsTreat
With the portability of the Mavic it seems like any place can be a good spot to launch a flight. What are some of everyone’s favorite type places? For me, a good one is a boat ramp because a lake usually makes for some good pics. And I also find ‘overlooks’ great too if they’re not in a State Park. Finally, smaller county and local parks can are pretty good especially if close to a big ‘downtown’ area. Anyway, with the Mavic along with me, I start seeing every parking lot or rest stop as a place to fly. But I’m always curious to know how everyone else does it. T

Interesting question and responses so far. Like you I've launched from boating areas and rest stops. I've also had many flights from the bow and stern of moving ships. I've also taken off from small flat areas on top of boulders in canyons as well as up between tree branches to get the view.

I think a lot of it depends on your comfort and skill level. Like your suggesting, I think the Mavic allows for a large variety of take-off/launch possibilities, even in higher winds or areas dense with trees, canyon walls or structures.

I've always hand-caught for landings.

For me it finding launch points are strategic in as much as I want to try to maintain VLOS after launch. Sometimes I'll use multiple launch sites while shooting the same project.

Edit: It may be important to note that while the FAA theoretically controls all the air space above the ground, it is important to research the rules of where you're flying as nice looking launch/land points might be restricted, some requiring advance authorization/permission. I would assume there would be more restrictions urban areas, and like here, conflicting state, federal and local laws.

Last edited:
Often just use a footpath (sidewalk???). Have tried using a beach towel on the beach. Only live 600m from the beach so often fly their. There are a couple of lookout platforms so if no one is around will use them.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore