DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plan to fly Air2s in Europe

Daniel2300

Reactions
I am from Malaysia, I plan to fly Air2s in Europe,
probably will visit France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Ireland,
will visit with family for 2 months self-tour.
Can I bring my drone to these countries?
Is there EU drone permit that I can apply online?

Also keep in mind that for people in many of the countries you mentioned, privacy is of considerable importance. There are also a number of laws regarding images, being able to recognize people, etc.

As well, quietness is important. The droning buzz of a drone is often not appreciated. In the Dolomites last fall we watched a drone operator get surrounded by some locals who were insuring that he ended the annoyance quickly.

You probably also need to apply for C1 certification and sticker from DJI to fly in Europe now. Lots of threads on it. Not sure if you can apply while outside Europe though.

I am from Malaysia, I plan to fly Air2s in Europe,
probably will visit France, Germany, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Finland, Ireland,
will visit with family for 2 months self-tour.
Can I bring my drone to these countries?
Is there EU drone permit that I can apply online?
Please search for my thread from a year or so ago where I explain in detail exactly what you will need to do.
Boiled down:
1 - take EASA test to prove competency (free site to train and test in my thread) You need this certificate for step #2
2 - register as an operator in one of the EU countries you will be in - language may decide which one for you.
2a - you will need to provide proof of liability insurance personal and property (used to be a million Euros) before you can register as an operator. Here's the catch - nobody in the EU will insure you. NOBODY. I was fortunate in my home owners insurance does cover "recreational equipment". The original intent is stuff like Jet Skis and ATVs but they confirmed drones are also covered. So you'll need to find something in your home country the EU will accept as adequate coverage. You MUST provide the policy information online.
3 - your drone must have a proper tag on it with your "public" part of your operator ID (you'll understand when registering).
I highly suggest drohnen.de - they make excellent aluminum tags to properly fit a number of drones.
I highly suggest you go find my thread as I have numerous links and other info. I just spent 3 weeks last year in Germany so the information should still be current.

Last edited:
I hate to be another downer but......... Brojon is spot on .
After a month in EUROPE AND THE uk earlier this year I encountered the same obstacles and more.
I left my Air 2 S at home and only took my Mini 2 since sub 250 is allowed with a few less restrictions
I'm finding frustration wherever I travel because every place has implied restrictions that may or may not actually exist.
Two weeks ago, in Hawaii I was confronted by a local police officer when I was at a scenic overlook and as he spouted reasons I can't fly I calmly recited reasons I could. First do you have a Trust certificate, answer Yes and I am 107 certified. then you can't fly over people answer I'm the only one here. Then he said you can't fly over the road or private property I calmly said not true then he said he would ticket me for parking in a no parking zone (It was a scenic overlook but did have a no parking sign , go figure?)
Our encounter was polite, and he was basically chasing every person with a drone away, it was obvious he knew I was in the right, but he was not in the mood to accept that fact.
At that point I said it wasn't worth the aggravation, I packed up my drone and left the area.

Giong to Iceland in October. It has reputation for being drone friendly ......We will see.

I'm beginning to believe the responsible drone pilots are so outnumbered by those who are not that this hobby will be dominated by people who won't follow rules (don't know or don't care).
It is difficult to know all of the local rules in other countries. But in your own country, or state, it's not only necessary that the operator knows the rules, but the "authorities" also know them.
When flying under "107" when questioned I usually just show some job documentation and certification and it never ends up with a confrontation. Recreational flying is the issue , likely because people are inclined to think flyers are " up to no good"...........for whatever reason.

In my opinion, this hobby is going down the toilet.

Each EASA country has unique rules, in Poland you can fly anywhere, in Germany you need expensive insurance and permission to fly in private. Also since your drone is Air 2S you NEED to get your C1 label or else it is a paperweight, ask DJI support to send you them via express mail to you, once landed submit these stickers and you will be able to fly under A1 by passing an online test.

Each EASA country has unique rules, in Poland you can fly anywhere, in Germany you need expensive insurance and permission to fly in private. Also since your drone is Air 2S you NEED to get your C1 label or else it is a paperweight, ask DJI support to send you them via express mail to you, once landed submit these stickers and you will be able to fly under A1 by passing an online test.
I'd forgotten about the sticker - that rule hadn't hit yet.
You STILL need to have tested with EASA and have the certificate and as far as I am aware you still have to register as an operator in an EU country as that's the only was to get your operator ID.
As far as restrictions you are correct that each country may have rules in addition to the basis rules you will earn from the EASA test - such as which class you can fly in and what restrictions are with each class. For example the Mini 2 or 3 can fly over small groups of people at a specified height - but, good luck getting a definition of "small" group! Also onerous are the privacy laws about people being in your shots. Good thing most folks over there don't much care - but I have run into a few.

Last edited:
Giong to Iceland in October. It has reputation for being drone friendly ......We will see.

In my opinion, this hobby is going down the toilet.
Iceland is a wonderful place.
Be aware now that many many areas now have no drone signs.
The fear is that they could crash and not be recoverable - like over some of the mud pot areas near geysers. Enjoy your trip!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
avivf377