DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane Detection & Automatic Avoidance

AFAngryWarrior

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Today I had an unusual occurrence flying my Air 2s. I live near an airport and am used to the alerts pop up that an airplane is coming my way as it begins its landing decent to the local airport. It's a little overbearing seeing as how my drone is 87 ft in the air and the plane is 2037ft up. Is there any way to tweak these settings?

20220715_171138.jpg

Today my drone freaked out and for the first time my tablet starts yelling "Automatic Avoidance!" repeatedly and nonstop. Again drone 87ft up, plane 2037ft up. Even after the plane passed it just kept repeating the warning. I landed my drone and turned it off, but my tablet still kept yelling at me. It would only stop once I closed the app completely on my iPad.

Here's a clip I uploaded to show you the automatic Avoidance issue after my drone was disconnected. Anyone else have these issues?

I had a similar experience about a week ago when a helicopter flew near. I lowered the drone and flew in the opposite direction, and even when I was no longer close I kept getting the message you described.

I had a similar experience about a week ago when a helicopter flew near. I lowered the drone and flew in the opposite direction, and even when I was no longer close I kept getting the message you described.
Thanks for sharing. Just out of curiosity what type of device was your controller connected to? I was using an iPad pro. It also happened on my iPad mini. I haven't tried an android device yet so I'm wondering if this is an issue with the Fly app on ios only or is an issue across the board?

I fly with a iPad 6th generation, I was flying in our small town and after thinking about it the helicopter landed near our fire department, so the public could look at it. That was about half mile from where I was flying from, and even long after it had landed I was getting the persistent notice. The information was probably still being sent after it had landed.

I use a Tripltek 7 with my Air 2s and the warning stops when the aircraft is out of range.
There are several factors to determining whether it is in range or not. Some show up 15 miles away while others show up 5 feet away. Based on the magic of radio coming off the transponder, and various terrestrial obstructions, it can be unreliable. Sounds like your android has been done differently than apples.

I fly with a iPad 6th generation, I was flying in our small town and after thinking about it the helicopter landed near our fire department, so the public could look at it. That was about half mile from where I was flying from, and even long after it had landed I was getting the persistent notice. The information was probably still being sent after it had landed.
If they still had the helicopter electrical switch turned on, it might be broadcasting ground.

Having ADS-B on these drones is sort of a joke as ADS-B isn't used on aircraft of any type that fly in under the 400ft airspace. It was never designed to be used under 400ft and was more for the aircraft that fly where they are significantly higher than our drones. If on the rare occasion you are flying near a commercial airport and have clearance to do so it "might" be handy but useless otherwise.

Having ADS-B on these drones is sort of a joke as ADS-B isn't used on aircraft of any type that fly in under the 400ft airspace. It was never designed to be used under 400ft and was more for the aircraft that fly where they are significantly higher than our drones. If on the rare occasion you are flying near a commercial airport and have clearance to do so it "might" be handy but useless otherwise.
More or less what I'm thinking. And they don't coincide so what's the point?

If I'm flying my manned aircraft and I lose my traffic avoidance system, but I have my airsense enabled drone...can I still make it? Well not really especially if you're on a long flight or in an area where ADS-B out is required. Batteries on the quad don't last that long either. Going to be hard to navigate using DJI Fly.

Keep in mind that some manned aircraft are not required to have ADSB installed. They require eyeball seperation.

I've found it useful when near where helicopter operations are taking place and near airports. Every airplane flight passes through the 0-400' AGL airspace at least twice per flight.

The aircraft proximity warning is no substitute for pilot awareness, but it's a helpful additional safety measure.

Reactions: JimCunn
Many non-ADSB manned aircraft cruise at less than 400 feet. They are likely to be anywhere that is more than 500 feet from a structure.

I would have interpreted the measurements on the display as 2037 feet distance and 1371 AGL which is different than your interpretation. Is my interpretation backwards?

Reactions: mobilehomer
I would have interpreted the measurements on the display as 2037 feet distance and 1371 AGL which is different than your interpretation. Is my interpretation backwards?
You are correct. It would be nice if that was part of the display.

Don’t think you can tweak it.. but you can turn it off..
How do you turn it off? The “automatic avoidance” audio message persists every two seconds, even after you’ve turned off the aircraft and the controller. Flying a Mavic Air 2, RC-N1 controller, iPad 7th generation, newly updated v1.70 of DJI Fly.

How do you turn it off? The “automatic avoidance” audio message persists every two seconds, even after you’ve turned off the aircraft and the controller. Flying a Mavic Air 2, RC-N1 controller, iPad 7th generation, newly updated v1.70 of DJI Fly.

Open app and connect to drone. Go to Safety, Advanced Safety Settings,scroll to bottom and turn off AirSense.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78