DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Plane Detection & Automatic Avoidance

I’ll try that next time I get a manned-aircraft warning. The trick will be to tap it before it leaves the screen. Thanks for the tip, mobilehomer.
You don't need the warning. You can open the map and zoom to see planes. then tweak. You will see them go and come as you toggle.

There are several factors to determining whether it is in range or not. Some show up 15 miles away while others show up 5 feet away. Based on the magic of radio coming off the transponder, and various terrestrial obstructions, it can be unreliable. Sounds like your android has been done differently than apples.

If they still had the helicopter electrical switch turned on, it might be broadcasting ground.
I don't know the inner workings of DJI's implementation of ADSB-In which is what is being talked about here, but given that ADSB is a standard that multiple manufacturers use they all need to be compatible with each other and should therefore all work the same.

You're correct about a range of aircraft being detected has everything to do with the radio but it's the ADSB-Out radio that matters. An ADSB-Out is found in an Aircraft's Mode-S transponder. A transponder is supposed to be in standby mode when on the ground. Most aircraft checklists have the pilot turn the transponder on to standby mode immediately after engine start. In that mode, it will not broadcast. A pilot usually turns the transponder to On or Auto mode when doing their before-take-off checklist which is usually done when they are holding short of the runway. It is then supposed to be set to standby in the after-landing checklist which is done once the pilot has vacated the runway but before they start taxing to their parking spot. This is proper etiquette and good airmanship so that it prevents other nearby landing aircraft from getting TCAS alerts or in this case it prevents your drone from thinking its a collision risk. So if that helicopter was on the ground and it was broadcasting it means that the pilot either wasn't running his after-landing checklist properly or left the transponder on .

Regarding range. Transponder radios vary, and the antenna used also makes a huge difference as to the range that the transponder will transmit .I can't remember the formula but there is one used to calculate roughly how far a transponder or ELT will broadcast but it's entirely based on the altitude of the aircraft. Once an aircraft gets even a few hundred feet off the ground the signal for the transponder will broadcast dozens of miles. I know that the Toronto radar facility in Toronto (CYYZ) is able to see aircraft at about 1000AGL pretty reliably at Oshawa executive airport (CYOO) but once an aircraft goes below 500-700ft AGL its target is lost on the Toronto radar. The distance between the two airports is 35 nautical miles is approx 65km or 40 statute (regular) miles. That at 1000 feet AGL which is the traffic pattern altitude of CYOO. Most aircraft are flying much more than 1000AGL except when landing or taking off so my point is that an ADSB signal being received on the ground can be coming from easily 100km away. That's if the drone is on the ground, but we dont care about ADSB if we're on the ground now do we? nope. We care when it's airborne so when the drone is at say 400' AGL which is the legal maximum altitude that a drone can fly at without a special flight ops certificate (or hint hint ATC clearance) and an aircraft is even at 2000' but lets go wild and say 10000 feet, it could be picking that signal up from easily over 200km. DJI should know this and implement some kind of sensitivity to the results that are displayed to the drone pilot as to not overwhelm the operator with useless irrelevant information.

Terrestrial obstructions have little to no bearing on ADSB except for the scenario of being on the ground, which is pointless to be concerned about anyways.

Reactions: mavictk
I don't know the inner workings of DJI's implementation of ADSB-In which is what is being talked about here, but given that ADSB is a standard that multiple manufacturers use they all need to be compatible with each other and should therefore all work the same.

You're correct about a range of aircraft being detected has everything to do with the radio but it's the ADSB-Out radio that matters. An ADSB-Out is found in an Aircraft's Mode-S transponder. A transponder is supposed to be in standby mode when on the ground. Most aircraft checklists have the pilot turn the transponder on to standby mode immediately after engine start. In that mode, it will not broadcast. A pilot usually turns the transponder to On or Auto mode when doing their before-take-off checklist which is usually done when they are holding short of the runway. It is then supposed to be set to standby in the after-landing checklist which is done once the pilot has vacated the runway but before they start taxing to their parking spot. This is proper etiquette and good airmanship so that it prevents other nearby landing aircraft from getting TCAS alerts or in this case it prevents your drone from thinking its a collision risk. So if that helicopter was on the ground and it was broadcasting it means that the pilot either wasn't running his after-landing checklist properly or left the transponder on .

Regarding range. Transponder radios vary, and the antenna used also makes a huge difference as to the range that the transponder will transmit .I can't remember the formula but there is one used to calculate roughly how far a transponder or ELT will broadcast but it's entirely based on the altitude of the aircraft. Once an aircraft gets even a few hundred feet off the ground the signal for the transponder will broadcast dozens of miles. I know that the Toronto radar facility in Toronto (CYYZ) is able to see aircraft at about 1000AGL pretty reliably at Oshawa executive airport (CYOO) but once an aircraft goes below 500-700ft AGL its target is lost on the Toronto radar. The distance between the two airports is 35 nautical miles is approx 65km or 40 statute (regular) miles. That at 1000 feet AGL which is the traffic pattern altitude of CYOO. Most aircraft are flying much more than 1000AGL except when landing or taking off so my point is that an ADSB signal being received on the ground can be coming from easily 100km away. That's if the drone is on the ground, but we dont care about ADSB if we're on the ground now do we? nope. We care when it's airborne so when the drone is at say 400' AGL which is the legal maximum altitude that a drone can fly at without a special flight ops certificate (or hint hint ATC clearance) and an aircraft is even at 2000' but lets go wild and say 10000 feet, it could be picking that signal up from easily over 200km. DJI should know this and implement some kind of sensitivity to the results that are displayed to the drone pilot as to not overwhelm the operator with useless irrelevant information.

Terrestrial obstructions have little to no bearing on ADSB except for the scenario of being on the ground, which is pointless to be concerned about anyways.
It's not until we take off with the quad that all of a sudden all of these targets show up.

But the jumbo jets going higher up have a bigger wattage output to get through the atmosphere.

When you're in the air, you are the antenna.

The AirSense has been broke on mine since v1.7.4. Every time after this update, the Fly app either does not warn me of potential airborne conflicts or keeps yelling when there is no airplane/ aircraft in the zoomed out Fly map or within my vision and hearing. And I know every single setting there is that Fly offers for ADS-B and has always been tweaked and worked accordingly before v1.7.4.

Reactions: mavictk
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bahamaboy242